Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mauler PVP anyone?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by meccagoldwin, May 1, 2008.

1. meccagoldwin

meccagoldwin IncGamers Member

Mauler PVP anyone?

Hi there I have just recently started playing D2 again after a bit of a hietus but now Im back, I have frequented this site often but posted seldom and have always found verys useful info on the druid forums for the characters I have played in the past (a couple of PVM wolves and Bears). I am hoping to Make a pvp character as I have not played one much and want to try out pvp, and I am thinking of rolling a mauler bear I really want to play a bear and fire claws does not interest me in the least. Anyone have expirience with this lately? here are some of the ideas I have put together

1. E tomb reaver PWNs in the hands of wolves, bears to?
    - with 70 off weapon ias a two shael reaver will hit a 5 frame maul according to dragoon's calculator pretty nice I think.
    2. 70 off weapon ias is a lot here is how I was thinking of achieving it
    a. treachery armor the 45 ias would make the goal easy to hit with either 20%gloves or highlords and either Nos' belt or 15ias/other mod jewel in jalals
    b. IK gloves+boots for 25ias on the gloves with set bonus plus highlords plus Nos' belt plus 15 ias in helm

3. Problems: while the ias is awesome on treachery and it has soem fhr as well as high chance to cast venom it lacks other good armour stats ie defense/resists (5%chance to cast fade is awesome in pvm but wont be reliable enough in PVP methinks). With the IK setup I would have to sacrifice some flexibilty in the boot/glove areas as neither have amazing stats but would allow better armour choice. Unless I choose the IK ption this setup will be pretty much devoid of damage reduction can I be competitive w/o it?

4. Just say screw it and go for 6 frames, would not require any off weapon ias and would be way easier but I like fast :)

anyways lots to think about any feedback would be highly appreciated thanks in advance.

2. superjayson

superjayson IncGamers Member

Re: Mauler PVP anyone?

your theory is wrong i believe. id try and explain it but im wayy too tired right now. but look in the guide stickies at the top of this forum, there is a pvp mauler guide there that will help you tons.

as for a mauler in general they are a bit weak in pvp and really expensive.

3. Jary

Jary IncGamers Member

It won't compete.

realize your up against other melee builds with uninteruptible attacks, do more damage, higher defense, and a lot with max block too.
    Against casters you'd lack the speed and damage to compete.

You need enigma for one. Your best bet is hybrid FC/physical damage bear with caddy/Grief stashed.

Imagine in a duel.. imagine that you only have at most.. 1-3 hits to win before you die. Sorta defeats the point of maul huh :tongue:
    Therefore, wut if you just go all out damage. Your best bet is to use a very fast high physical damage "boom stick" like grief or jeweled Griswolds Cadacaes, and put a good 40 points into Fireclaw synergies and max "Werebear" as well for passive physical damage bonuses.

From there you can use damage items like highlords, 2xravens, up'd Jalals, Bloodfists, stormshield and Gore Riders as if you were a mauler and fill your inv with Shape/lifers and as plenty of lifey/resist sc's.

It doesn't sound cheap but then again wut duelists are these days, have you tried getting pcombs these days >.< anyways, this is probably perfect setup for a bear, not to be cocky. Every other setup have their flaws, this will give you sick "Fury-like" physical damage and a good 6-10k fireclaw, so perfect balance. In pvm I kill FI's and PI's almost equally as quick, so it works well ^.~

4. meccagoldwin

Hmm seems so 100% of replies so far say no good, what a shame. I just find it hard to beleive it is not viable if I can get up to 5 frames, wolves can compete with two handers I was hoping a bear could get by on the added defense and a stun attack (no need to fill me in on why wolves are awexome I am convinced already). Ah well I think I will play around with this anyway just for my own sake. If I have any success I may be back to report :) In th emean time anyone else have any other advice?

5. Jary

Jary IncGamers Member

If you can use Jalals 'shael' on a FC/physical werebear, that's 50% fhr right there...

Doing so, one idea that helps me is to boost your FCR as a bear. Generally I'd use magefists & arachnid with my standard setup. Sounds silly right? but 40% fcr allows for a much more effective:
    - shockwave (get good at this skill to catch casters jumping on you, stopping chargers, etc)
    - teleport (use enigma. allows smoother transitions in and outta bear for quick get-aways. Without enigma you wont be effective, period)
    - casting/recastin grizzly (tactically cast to block fireballs, arrows--will take damage first while in teleport)

keep maul on left trigger, Fireclaw as primary on right trigger. In PvM if you hold right cursor infront of you it'll auto target each enemy for faster killing.

If you can, either town charge off a hostile player from town with maul or get one charge going from quil rats, valks, spirit wolves, etc. One charge is all that's needed just to get the ~3-4 second stun length added to your FC, this will f'up the recovery rate of your opponent, especially if its a windy, necro, or some caster.

Get good at name-locking. As you already know, wolves are far more versatile and dangerous to approach 'cause they get the priveledge of being able to "auto-detect" players with Fury, or auto-target. Bears dont get this priveledge, so use your speed to evade players and get good and searching the player with your cursor.
    Say its a windy.. he's gonna be sorta buried within his pack of wolves.. tough huh. Well, one advantage FC bears/FC hybrids have in this situation is, if you can find the enemy in your cursor, hold down shift-Fireclaw, and namlock him... you can sorta "chargeup" and prepare for his drop so when he drops near you... sorta like reving your engine in your mustang getting ready to hit the throttle lol.. release Shift and you'll be able to single target kill him and hope that you have enough life and DR to tank him before he dies. Fury wolves on the other hand will have to attack all adjacent targets.. giving the windy enough time to get the drop and kill you usually ;) Well, I think its worth mentioning hehe, cool huh.

Man, I could go on all day but I gots to sleep lol. lata playa, try it out see for yourself. You'll find a way to make it work, dont let anyone hold you back ^.~

6. Porky

Porky IncGamers Member

Just build it like a Fire Claw druid skill-wise. And switch a 4fpa pb with Grief PB, enigma/lifer armor with fort, and angelics with Highlords + Ravenfrosts.
    Its only a little bit weaker Physical dmg wise compared to a pure Mauler, but you also get 10k+ Fire claws. :)

7. meccagoldwin

Alright thanks for the suggestions what you are saying makes sense and I guess there is no good reason to not go for FC the damage boost is very tempting Ill play around with it a bit.