Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

mauler bear input

Discussion in 'Druid' started by tsweet, Mar 21, 2005.

1. tsweet

tsweet IncGamers Member

mauler bear input

going to build a mauler bear for mainly pvm any input is helpful

Gear:
    ebotd thunder maul
    sup sacred armor fort
    perf up'd jalals w/ ber or ias/ar jewel
    38/15 dungos
    20ias/15str/100+ar gloves
    198ed upped gores
    20dex/200ar ravenfrost
    100+ar/15 str/10dex ring
    4xx/35/3xx metalgrid or highlords not sure which
    going to go with crescent moon crystalsword/dream trollnest on switch using hunger for attack to help with pi's and iron maidens

ar/life gc's or shape/life gc's
    res sc to get to 75 and rest like ar/life sc's
    of course 1 anni

stats
    str: enough for equip
    dex: enough for decent ar
    life: rest

skills
    max lyc
    max wb
    max maul
    10 shockwave
    1 fireclaws
    1 hunger
    max how
    rest griz

any ideas or help would be appreciated

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

First of all you need a much faster weapon...Werebear attack speed relies mostly on the speed of your weapon and outside IAS sources (gloves, highlords etc) don't help as much...Therefore if you're set on a BOTD make it in a weapon with faster base speed...For example Champion Axe... You should at least get 7-8 frame attack speed and faster is almost always better...check the calculator at the top of this forum. Other weapons to consider are: Upgraded Ribcracker with Shael...IK maul with Shaels and rest of IK set, Oath in ethereal Feral axe.

Secondly might want to make that Fortitude in another armor than Sacred armour...Sacred costs a lot of str...230ish IIRC. Those points could be better spent in Vitality, and the difference in defence between the elite armours isn't that big...still it does give nice defence so if that's your thing go ahead.

You should probably consider Angelic combo as Werebears have huge trouble with AR...Otherwise it looks pretty decent...you probably shouldn't put an IAS jewel in your Jalal's but check the calculator before you commit.

The most important piece of advice...get rid of that Thundermaul...it's unbelievably slow for a bear.

3. tsweet

tsweet IncGamers Member

forgot to mention also planned using act 1 merc with faith bow fanat aura should help with any ias probs and get me to around the 8 frame breakpoint

as far as the sacred its a perf 15 ed and strength mods from other items like botd, ring, anni should make it easy to get to the str req without going much higher then the botd str req

ar is a prob tried to help that as much as poss with metalgrid, ar grand charms ravenfrost and the likes with all the gc's and 20% increased from jalals should have enough

4. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

You will pretty easily have about 10k ar pvm, along with the eth effect of the botd. Thats plenty for that. Faith bow and the fanaticism aura will help immensely, but fortitude sacred? Damn, man, you are gonna be hitting slowly (albeit not badly for a tmaul), but everything is gonna die in like one hit. as far as pis, hunger +dual dreams is a fun way to deal with that, but hunger+bstar (shael) and tiamats rebbuke is also a good way to go.

--welt

5. lucrativelyrics

lucrativelyrics IncGamers Member

id go botd giant thresher over tmaul , more range , still high dmg much much faster attack.

ias in jalals is pointless since the only ias that affect a shifted druid is the weapon, you can have a helm with 3 ias jewels and armor with 4 for a exxtra 105 ias and it wont make 1 bit of difference.

if you were gonna use tmaul ( which i suggest you dont) sacred would be a good choice, heck it still is if you feel its worth it. my old pvp druid used sacred for as well i had 5 k life . meh its up to you.

gloves use dracs, will save you alot in groups with lifetap , has life leech , openwounds ( will help kill pis faster), and str

i would go dual ravens. why? this is why. eth giant thresher has 130 dex,
    dual ravens = 40 dex, plus anni we assume 15 stat anni = 55 total dex

so that means you need 75 base dex ( even less if you can get a difference ammy ) but METAL is a great choice , ( but dont do it for atr you will have enough).

plus remember you get 30 to all stats from botd.

what i would do if i were you ( your not so you dont have to ) id go arch fort( or stay with sacred , will only take 30 extra str to wear)

which means your highest str item will be giant thresher at 178

- str from dracs or gloves 15 + jalals 20+ 15 anni = 45 str.

133 base str needed. ( i said dual ravens but that dual stat ring could be very sexy)

that equals 232 points to go into vit by lvl 85 . which makes out for one crazy ass tank bear with a fast attack and super dmg .

skills look good , but this is what i suggest , since your using faith on merc. max all your skills first and spirit last .

a 12 k atr is all you really need for pvm char. with shockwave you can stop waves of monsters . to give you time to knock them dead with your bear.

so my point is , if you can get around 10-12 k atr or over , max oak instead :)

this is just a outline its not a build . just showing you how going with the lower str items and faster weapon will equal more dmg/per and life in the long run. you can tweak the precious info anyway you like :)
    hope it helps

6. tsweet

tsweet IncGamers Member

figured id go with the dream and crescent moon in a crystal sword using hunger as that will do very little physical damage and help with iron maiden along with pi's

7. tsweet

tsweet IncGamers Member

thanks for the input guys giant thresher may very well be better good idea but dont have one already got the tmaul :( oh well guess back to the trading boards think i still wanna go with sacred though as vit will still be huge with dungos fort and all the plus to all attributes if i can get ar high enough yeah ill probly go with oak will get to that when it comes up already planned on maxing that last

just checked calc wont need ias jewel as still 8 frames without on tmaul what should i use instead um ber or something else?

8. lucrativelyrics

i dont think you under stand any ias other then on weapon dont help you , you shouldnt even be thinking ias jewels even if you could hit next bp with it. and from what i checked the tmaul is not 8 frames , ( guys does fant make your attack faster ? ) ( meaning i know it does for most chars but i forget for druid )

9. tsweet

tsweet IncGamers Member

used the calc at top of forum it does help to have some oias or sias as that can change your breakpoints according to the calc and the website it is on

it says tmaul w/ 60wias +20 oias and 33 sias which is what fanatacism at lev 14 or 15 gives would be 8 frame

10. Weltkriegpally

yes, fanaticism does effect BEARS, but not wolves. Oias can help for bears, quite a bit in many cases. ebotd tmaul can hit 8 fpa pretty easily, especially with help from fanaticism. You should try for 7 if you can get it. At that speed, its the same as an ik maul and a whole heckuva lot more damaging. Only get ias jewels if they help you out to hitting the next bp. tsweet is right, it is 8 fpa with the 33 skill ias and 20 oias. thats a pretty big hit, and mauls are 1.1 ed for point strength, anyways. I think its a fine choice pvm. As far as crescent moon goes, there are a few options. your low damage weapon isn't a bad idea at all, but if you are rich (and it seems like you aren't poor), maybe try an 85 ias/lightning facet phase? it will hit 4 fpa on hunger and the added lightning damage isn't too bad. You could also go with 2xshael, 3x15 ias/1-99 lightning damage jewels and a facet. The damage would add in greatly, and phase does crap damage so im shouldn't hurt you too much.

--welt

11. tsweet

tsweet IncGamers Member

thanks welt, still just wondering what to socket jalals with dont think um is needed already good res with fort metalgrid anni jalals just a few charms should help that so is ber the best choice here as no other dmg red other then dungos?

12. Weltkriegpally

potentially um the jalals and go with highlords. It gives you 1 skills, 35 lightnign resist, 20 ias, and the huge ds. Ds is very important, especially on a monster hit like you will be doing.

--welt

13. lucrativelyrics

smacks self * too much of a wolf mentality* thanks for the info

14. lucrativelyrics

according to the calculator fastest you can attack is 8 frame, hope you can keep that merc alive often otherwise you will be attacking very very slow

15. tsweet

tsweet IncGamers Member

just thought of something the poison nova on the botd will unstun everything hit with shockwave so i can disregard the shockwave using ten more points to put into griz or his synergies

16. Weltkriegpally

Incorrect sir. Stun is stun, and the only thing affecting that is an uninterruptible attack or good fhr. Better put:: Get at least one into shockwave, its what will make leveling your bear ever so much easier.

--welt