Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Maul possible as king of melee?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by )BoNes(, Mar 29, 2005.

1. )BoNes(

)BoNes( IncGamers Member

Maul possible as king of melee?

I want to make the best possible bear, I mean like king of melee duels good. This will probably be my last character that I put alot of effort into, and therefore I want him to be good :).

Anyway, I have pretty unlimited funds, that is I should be able to aquire mostly everything needed.

Firstly, should I go straight maul or maul+fireclaws?

What are the recommended builds for either variant?

What are some recommended items?

Here's what I was thinking (non ladder)

Helm: Cerebus or Jalals with max jewel
    Amulet: Highlords
    Weapon: 4fps phase
    Armor: No idea, stone, +max armor, enigma??
    Gloves: Rends/Bloodfist
    Rings: Ravenfrostx2 or maybe a nice rare+ravenfrost
    Belt:Verdungos? Maybe I should get more dr elsewhere and use a rare?
    Boots: Gores...or Travs?

HoW or Oak?

Stat distribution?

2. MrGoth

MrGoth IncGamers Member

~

Maul is not really godly damage wise unless you wip out some godly 400+%ed eth rare phase blade or an ebotd. It might list having massive % damage once fully charged, and the were bear skill might also grant % damage, but it just doesnt cut it when it comes to 4 frame damage.

The real shame comes when an assassin with proper gear shifts to a bear and has a 3 frame attack with venom, which would rip apart any mauler.

The king of melee druids, if you call melee physical offenive attacks, would be a fury wolf, which is still a lil weak in standard 1.10 duels. If you take melee as any hand to hand attack {claw to claw..}, then fire claws would give much better damage, and at a possibly faster attack speed.

If you are really bent on that mauler although, I suggest giving up a frame of attack speed for a better damageing weapon such as ebotdz or possibly even ebotd gaint threasher for sex appeal on weapon switch.

Also, I wouldnt suggest investing the str req for rends. Shifting druids shine when their hit points show, so you will want to tweak this guys stats as much as you can, which means that anyting over 156 str req would be a bad thing.

3. MightyTitans

MightyTitans IncGamers Member

Can't asns hit 2 frames with 3x Shael (edit: or even 2x Shael 1x 15 ias) Jewelers of Quickness Runic Talons? I had a bearsin with 3 frames, it was so fast lol.

4. MrGoth

MrGoth IncGamers Member

~

There was a thread floating around on this forum & also the assassin forum a while ago with this debate. While dragoons calc said with that claw {95%ias, so only 2 shaels + 15%ias jewel}, said 2 frames, noone actualy had one of these to prove it.

It would be much more likely to hit 3 frames, being that I have never even heard of such a claw dropping/being rolled on realms.

5. MightyTitans

MightyTitans IncGamers Member

I was trying to shop one of these from anya a while back. Came accross 2 jewelers claws with 3 sockets; I don't see any reason why the quickness mod cant be rolled as a suffix =/. It would probably be really rare though.

6. aznbboi16

aznbboi16 IncGamers Member

I actually have one of those claws (Jeweler's Greater Talon of Quickness) on ladder if someone wants to let me borrow 3 shaels and a beast :rolleyes:

Anyways, I can't see a maul bear being "king of melee" anytime soon. Barbs, smiters and zealots all outclass maul bears by a long shot. Bears can't compete in terms of damage, ar, defense, block rate and hit recovery. They also use an interruptible attack.

7. Tor

Tor IncGamers Member

maul can proobably do the most damage, but speed is important (stick on a hellslower or somethign and you got liek a 10k maul

and maul doent have knockback, autohit, uninterruptible and the sort

8. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

good luck.... many people have been trying to make good maul bears lately. It seems that making one is a hard task to do indeed, and to make a good one definitly would not be cheap at all. I really dont have to much advise since i have made a few but none were 'godly' yet.

9. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

maul bears can compete with zealots/barbs, but smiters tear them apart. ebotd anything =very dumb idea on a mauler. you need a 110 ias/95 ed phase or a 105 ias grizwolds caddy. They can get the ar that most zealots have (15-25k not too hard), and the defense of 10-15k isn't that bad (do the math vs. the 40k defense most zealots have. the chance to hit doesn't vary that much, like...1 percent). the expensive part lies in the charms. I would say a maul bear positively needs 10 max grands with 30+ life or 12 fhr (depending on if you need that mod or not), the best smalls you can get, and about 4-5k life with HoW to be truly viable. a non eth stone archon is the best armor for the maul/fireclaw hybrid, and a fort or 120 max damage armor is the best for the "pure" mauler. Truth be told, its smart to use fireclaws anyways for either one, because you need the attack rating. And the stone makes fhr easier to come by, gives you something like 12k defense, adds in resists and stats (although minor),a dn the free fireclaws synergy is an easy 1k damage added to your attack, which makes it all the better to stun your opponent with.

--welt

10. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

Back in 1.09 and before I loved my maul bears but even I had to admit in 1.1 they are just not the same. Sure for pvm where you can give up some speed for a higher damage weapon they can still do well but for pvp it's hard to win fight after fight.

11. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

welt not saying maul bears cant be competitive. But i doubt as of what i've seen so far from maul bears that a well equiped maul bear will beat a well equiped zealot consistently(aka godly which is what this thread is about). Mauler may win a few duels but I have my doubts that he will win the majority. I know my new mauler is lacking alot b/c his charms suck on ladder ... but i still just dont see one going 50/50 w/ a good 25k+ def zealot.

For now i think im gonna just mess around w/ maulers more as a side thing until i get on nl w/ him and can equip some decent charms.

12. Weltkriegpally

I don't disagree that a maul bear makes for an insanely hard dueler to master, gear, and win with. I found out the hard way just what sort of ar/damage/defense you need to get with a bear to make him dueling viable. In my personal opinion, its smart to get as much defense on a bear as reasonably possible (aka 12k+), and then land what ar you can WITHOUT giving up highlords. that amulet is so much of your damage its not funny, and I hate to admit that. I have tried using dual gelics on my bears, and while its true that you hit a lot more, you lose all your damage to do so. Its much smarter to go with the hsarus combo and just shoot for about 20k+ ar without going for the 30k+ you can get with dual gelics. I am not saying that bears are going to be "godly", but I am saying that they can go roughly 50/50 with most non tap zealots (even the good ones) and that concentrate barbs are actually an easier duel than zealots. It will always be a hard duel, but you can make them competitive. However, you can never ever use the crap gear. It has to be the best possible for you to obtain, and you have to meet certain standards. Good luck, sir.

--welt

13. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

Yea I found this out recently. Myth let me just attack his lvl 77 wolf on ladder w/ my lvl ** maul bear (mixed stats but A LOT of str) ... and it took like 15-20 hits to get him to decently low damage. I have 15 ds :( . I am having lots of problems finding out where to get ds from though .. but it is def. needed. And since this is on ladder my charms arn't really giving me the ar I need.

I am now thinking more of a setup similar to this(just to test)
    guilliums shael'ed
    ed/ias pb
    fort
    shael'ed ss
    bloodfist
    raven x 2
    highlords
    gores
    and a few 10/1xx max/ ar gc's and some life gc's. I really am not sure how im going to get the life I need or the ar. But i think 50+ ds would be VERY nice ... necessary maybe not .. but very nice.

Also FYI he had like 3k life and i did like 1k max maul uncharged damage.

Its just to much of an investment for me to get REALLY good ar/life/max lc/gc/sc's on ladder b/c I would rather keep stocking up on ladder only runewords for when ladder ends. So basically im waiting for ladder to end or to find some decent charms on ladder before I complete this guy.

14. )BoNes(

)BoNes( IncGamers Member

Ok here is my possible layouts so far:
    20 Werebear
    20 Maul
    20 Lycanthropy
    20 HoW
    Rest Fireclaws

Str: Anything excess after I hit 5kish life (or enough life that I feel I'm comfortable with)
    Dex: Max Block
    Vit: Enough to hit around 5k life
    Nrg: ..

Charms: Already have these, all 10max/ar/35+life, 6max/ar/30+life, and 3max/ar/15+ life as well as 2 small 3max/ar/5fhr and 1 10max/ar/12fhr to reach 152 fhr

Helm: Jalahs with a 25-30max jewel
    Armor: Stone Elite
    Amulet: Highlords..possibly Metalgrid
    Weapon: 4 Frame phase
    Shield: Stormshield with Shael
    Gloves: Bloodfist
    Belt: Verdungos
    Rings: ?? 2 ravens?
    Boots:War Travs

This build would rely on superior recovery rates combined with the stun capabilities of maul+fireclaws at 4fpa. Unfortunatly I could see it lacking in the damage department.

This is all theory and I have no idea if there are better setups out there. Input ideas anything. Lets brainstorm a bear that works.

15. Kirby Hunter

Kirby Hunter IncGamers Member

I asked alot of people @the grove(oo) and the general answer I got interms of a stat layout was Vita Build/Heart of Wolv
    for itemset up
    A)Conventional pb+max set up
    B)85% ias(tahts 5 frame right?) LO rune pb
    anyway
    Most people said hit 4k Life and then try to get more damage(I can hit that witwh 120 max/stabarmor+bfist/jalals/verds)
    *I woud try to keep Highlords on if possible, no DS=No damage
    Anyway
    Thats all i have to add for now, have fun

16. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

Well assuming your maul ... there are basically 3 skills maxed no matter what from what i can tell.

max wb , lycan, maul, 1 into shockwave is a must too.

After this you have various layouts on what to max.
    fc, oak, HoW, fissure,

What i've been looking at personally is something similar to this (although I do need to find out where ar is gonna come from).

wb, lycan, maul, fc

10 oak, 10 fissure.

Using 5 ss gc's w/ life and 5 gc's w/ l max/life/ar and good max/life/ar sc's.

Gear is really shady atm since i basically just planned this.

shael'ed guilliums
    robo pb
    shael'ed ss
    stone
    steel rends
    gores
    ravens x 2
    highlords
    dungos

17. Weltkriegpally

phase blade at 5 fpa=no good. If you are going 5 fpa, then go with a 105 ias caddy. Keep the highlords at all costs, accept no substitutes. You can go with a vita build, and I probably would with charms like that. However, if you add a little extra to strength, its not going to kill you. dual ravenfrosts are the best ring combo, unless you have some ultra good rare ring that would work. I have yet to see any that would. It seems that everyone has given you my bear build (note that this is precisely what Argentum, my non ladder dvd bear is geared as). the elite stone you want is a 2k stone archon. Its the best for the build, bar none. things I would do::

use the 30 max jalals, since thats what you seem you have your heart set on (I much prefer the cerebus, but thats me, not you.)
    Go with 86 fhr. It seems to be enough, but if you can make 152 fhr work and still hit 4k life (with enough of a prebuff and those charms, I see it possibly happening), then by all means, more power to you.
    I would consider adding a few shifter charms (40 life+), but no more than 4-5. It will make your fireclaws damage go to 2k or so, and it will improve your stunning capabilities immensely. Get those points into fireclaws. You need something like a level 24+ fireclaws with that setup to make the stunning noticeable. Good luck with this part.

Skills::

20 werebear
    20 HoW
    1 shockwave
    20 maul
    20 lycanthropy
    and 20 fireclaws (this is the last one you put points into, but you have to get to level 93 to finisht his guy)

you need that fireclaws at least at level 17 base (level 90), but 20 would be far better It also gives you a level advantage vs. most duelers, and is something that would probably help a great deal.

--welt