Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Maul Bear - go 2-handed, or 1-handed?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Flayed One, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Flayed One

Flayed One IncGamers Member

Maul Bear - go 2-handed, or 1-handed?

Im making a maul bear, but Im not sure which way to go... here is my little analysis:

1-handed:
    -block
    -better resists
    2-handed:
    -higher damage
    -more life

The weapons I would use:

1-handed:
    "steel" hand-axe --> shaeled rakescar --> upped shaeled rakescar --> double upped shaleded rakescar --> "oath" zerker

shaeled rakescar and "Oath" zerker let's me attack at 7 frames.
    I would probably use "rhyme" bone/grim shield along with it. Maybe replaced with stormshield later on.

2-handed:
    "steel" large axe --> shaeled ribcracker --> upped shaeled ribcracker
    maybe "Oath" feral axe or twice shaeled bonehew

ribcracker gives me 7 frame attack along with nice damage,great FHR and 50% crushing blow
    bonehew gives me just plain great damage at 7 frames
    Oath Feral Axe let's me attack at 6 frame speed with even better damage...

which way to go? I don't know about you, but for me blocking on shifters just doesn't feel right...

2. Harrid

Harrid IncGamers Member

Werebears are the 2nd slowest blockers in the game (ahead of only the pitiful rate of the "swinging weapon"-zon <_<). Putting on some FHR and using time not spent blocking to leech back whatever health you lose would be the way that I would probably go about things, especially considering the sort of damage that those 2-handers can do.

3. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

bears dont use shields(do they?) I think two hand is the only way for a bear to go just MO

4. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

aye, don't be a wimpy bear - go 2-handed

5. domac

domac IncGamers Member

again vote for 2-hander and for Bonehew. Bear firing spears? that's not something you see everyday :)

6. Flayed One

thanks for suggestions guys... I just had a brilliant idea - Ill make both...:laugh:

no, seriously 2-handed it is. Although it'll be a ribcracker... And later probably "Oath" feral axe. "Oath" shoots bone spears too :wink3: . I considered bonehew just untill I saw it's strength requirement --> 198 :shocked: . Feral Axe is going to have str requirement of 156 which is kinda high too, but nowhere near 198...

Oh well... Ill have trechery for cool effect of transparent bear anyway...

-edit- forgot to say, that while bears block slowly, a "rhyme" shield has 40% FBR meaning a bear blocks at 7 frames - only one frame slower then a werewolf, yet people still make 1-handed wolves...

7. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

I have a bear in progress at the moment, currently lvl 46 starting Nightmare.

I'm using IK Belt, Boots, Gloves, Maul + 2 Shaels and Treachery Great Hauberk.

The only shield I am using is Spirit and Dark Clan Crusher for pre-buff.

8. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

If you go two handed, you really dont need any dex so you'll have plenty of stat points to go into str.

9. Flayed One

hmmm... thats kinda right skoolbus, but I like to think about it in a bit other way: "If you go two handed, you really dont need any dex so you'll have plenty of stat points to go into vita." :wink3:

10. Harrid

Harrid IncGamers Member

7 frame blocking + (I do not know offhand if it is possible with Maul, but let's say) 4 frame attack = 11 frames from blocking to striking, or 0.44 seconds. Pretty good, honestly.

But you get the exact same result with 54 FHR (Pretty reasonable IMO, even untwinked, since you can get it with, for instance, just a 24% FHR suffix on a belt, a Shael in armor/helm, and a FHR grand charm. As you will be twinked, you can already pick up 50% with a Shael'ed Jalal's, if you have one), while having FAR higher damage potential. Furthermore, without a shield, there is always the chance that an attack which hits you will NOT send you into hit recovery (versus the 75% chance to interrupt yourself with a shield), which has a fair impact on your average attacks/time span.

Werewolves with shields, from what I have seen, tend to either be PvP (where a shield is nigh-standard) or based on Rabies/Fireclaws, for which the weapon damage is rather pointless. In those cases, it makes perfect sense to use a shield since another (to exaggerate, likely) 200 or so physical damage one way or the other is insignificant compared to the 2500+ damage from your skill. Also, with their lower life boost, wolves are more prone to getting knocked into hit recovery than bears, and even with no FHR, they recover about as quickly as they block, and thus lose less attacking time in the long run than bears do.

Granted, I am talking about a matter of a few frames here and there. There is certainly nothing unreasonable about making a blocking bear. It just looks to me like a bear, already having less quick crowd control* then a wolf gets from Fury's ability to keep multiple enemies stunned, stands to lose more by spending time blocking instead of attacking.

*: Of course, it does bear mentioning that werebears have one of the best crowd control abilities in Shockwave. But, if you plan to keep all of your enemies stunned anyway, your need for a shield is already greatly diminished, thus rendering the argument moot.

11. sablast

sablast IncGamers Member

one handed wolf is horrible in pvm, it is used only for pvp. Two handers are almost neccessary for pvm

12. Shadow Druid

Shadow Druid IncGamers Member

This was basically my set up except I had Duriel's for armour, and it worked quite nicely indeed. The partial set elemental damage bonuses on the IK Maul were very effective against PI's.

13. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

I agree with the general trend in this thread - two-paw ftw. Stun 'em with shockwave, and leach back anything you might have lost from ranged attackers.

- Noodle