Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Matriarch Slash – Fancy Furysin Turned Cow Runner

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ffs, Apr 11, 2019.

1. NanoMist

NanoMist IncGamers Member

If I teleport to get Merc closer, it's usually for tanking purposes: large group of cows, cursed, defiance not active, etc. Extra teleports are also done for herding purposes- one disadvantage of Sin compared to Necro is that revives help with aggro radius when they spread out. For medium-long distance, it's faster to bring the Sin to the cow vs lobbing the FB. If anything, I use defensive Merc to try to lessen teleports by not having to teleport out of small-medium threats, and also to lessen the chance of having FB interrupted.
    The DPS difference between Might and non-Might Merc is at best one FB, or 9 frames. Could be less on average due to low damage rolls. So the question is if Defiance can save 9 frames per group through better posturing and delivering FB quicker. It's also nice to play a tanky character, which was something I really appreciated when I played Necro afterwards.

2. ffs

ffs IncGamers Member

Might is about ~25% Merc DPS increase. Worth noting that it's also applied over time for the duration of laying down DS, assuming FB is then used against his original target. But yeah, technically it adds up to 1-2 FB, even when accounting for the time of laying down 3-4 DS. But in my case switching from Defiance to Might I instantly got almost 10s faster run times with the same play style, in fact unnecessarily using MB. Seems to add up even though it's not a huge difference.

Hope you don't get me wrong – I'm not trying to say which Merc or weapon or playstyle is preferable. I don't even have anything close to a firm opinion on any of these aspects. :rolleyes: Just thinking out loud because to me it seems she can potentially outperform Java and Necro by a wide margin. Which IMO makes it worthwhile to theorycraft and discuss things to optimize her. :)

After RFL Travincal I think I'll just make a 6-facet PB with the best facets I have at that point, and see how the various setups and tactics play out.

3. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

PB is okay option, however with 6os Crystal sword it is possible to create weapon which can also be used by spellcasters without massive investment into dexterity plus assassin would have more hp. With Andariel's Visage helm assassin would hit final breakpoint in speed and maintain 102 fcr breakpoint on switch with 10 fcr ring. Basically difference between PB and Crystal sword is 1 skill and possibly 1 facet (if blue circlet is used) while convenience is there in more hp and widely useful weapon. Different story if you plan on testing weapon + Spirit option and want to hit 102 on primary weapons.

EDIT
    Assassin would look ugly as all hell too which means cows will be eager to kill which would lead to easier herding.

4. ffs

ffs IncGamers Member

How fitting, just double-checked base options earlier. :)

Actually I think I'm going to go with Military Pick, seems to be best option to me. It has -10 WSM and low Dex requirement. Only downside is 3 extra hard points in BoS to hit last trap laying BP without additional IAS, but no hard points in Dex and no FB skill levels tradeoff. When using an ethereal one, other characters that don't use Raven don't need any hard Dex points either.

My faceted CS has +25/-22, not sure how much of a difference one with better facets makes. But either way there's not much use for fire facets, so I'm planning on making a new one anyway. :rolleyes:

5. Gripphon

That's indeed best weapon it seems. I'll first equip one to see how it looks like before deciding. I really hope it doesn't look like a mattock, although since we do plan on farming with it, it could be very well fitting then.

Time to hit cows for that mattock lol. Moo Moo.

6. ffs

ffs IncGamers Member

Looks fine, but interesting that you wondered about that when considering Andy's. :D

7. Gripphon

It was a suggestion for your assassin. Of course I'd never use Andy's on mine :cool:

T72on1 and sir_cyclops like this.
  8. Luhkoh

Luhkoh IncGamers Member

@Gripphon @ffs @NanoMist I finally finished calcing this confidence interval for the rune counting method for cows. I had been talking with drmalawi on his discord and he helped me on it too. The results are not good. I'm surprised but the confidence is much lower than I expected. I get that youd need to find ~6400 runes from cows to know the numbers of cows per cow lvl plus or minus 10 with 95% confidence. In practice it doesn't feel this inaccurate. But in light of this, i won't claim that the rune counting method, even over a whole rfl set, is more accurate than counting monsters on video or doing the exp method. All seem both imprecise but good enough for practical use to me. I expected rune counting to come out on top but the numbers didn't support me :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    sir_cyclops and ffs like this.
  9. Gripphon

That's all fine. We don't need super precise result as slight change in running style also has influence on all the data. Our approximations serve the purpose well enough.

Luhkoh likes this.