Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Matriarch Sizz – Poison/lightning amazon

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by mir, Jun 27, 2017.

1. mir

mir Diabloii.Net Member

For a long time, whenever I browsed through my stashes, my curiosity was piqued by possible uses of a unique crossbow 'Pus Spitter'. Eventually it was enough to try and build a char around this bow.

A quick search through the build compilation showed that both @TopHatCat64 and @Vang put this bow to use. After reading their guides I decided to try a different approach – combine CtC LR and a lightning based attack.

It looked good on paper – to use strafe in order to quickly cast LR then switch to LS (already have LF javazon) to finish them off. When I reached Hell difficulty it turned out, as I feared, that lvl 1 LR isn’t strong enough to break immunities…I needed a new plan. After some thinking I decided to respec her into poison/lightning hybrid.

The journey

The beginning was easy and fast-paced; I used another computer for self enchantment so the acts just flew by - once I could use a bow with fireball attack. Once I reached level 52 it was time to move to the next difficulty.

I was quite surprised by the effectiveness of LS despite the low damage compared with skills like lightning/CL and traps, the killing speed was great and the progress didn’t slow even for a bit. The first time I started to use the x-bow was actually in act 4 NM. One memorable moment was the 3rd monastery level, no monsters from entrance to exit.

The problems began in act 3 with annoying disruptions in my attacks due to d/e/a skills. I Decided to respec her,but had a tough call between power strike (to increase LS damage) and inner sight. In the end I decided to go with inner sight to improve CtH on the x-bow switch and to help the merc, more on that later. Another tough decision was between titans and thunderstroke, each strengthen the build in its own way. In the end TStroke was chosen as I never used this item before for questing.

The bow was put to more extensive use during act 4 in order to test the build. The training resulted in first death from the hands of the Grand Visor while trying to get LR off. The progress from that point on slowed down a lot since I had to use 4-5 skills simultaneously (Strafe, slow missiles, inner sight, LS). However once I got to Hell difficulty all this skill switching and the whole bow side became useless. It was quite a disappointment, but still I wanted to finish this build after all the effort I put in.

After some planning, I decided to respec her into a poison/lightning ama with a wand of LR charges on switch instead of Pus Spitter. Inner sight was no longer needed and the points went into Power Strike (another mistake). From that point on the progress went much smoother.

Some memorable parts:

· Act 3, flayer jungle (and on) – pure chaos, the whole area is a confusing mix of LI, CI and PI flayers. They are fast, they attack in large groups and it's hard to decide which element should be used at any given moment.

· Act 3, flayers dungeon – first encounter with dolls which clearly showed that I made a mistake in choosing power strike. It left me without a safe solution for those encounters (the physical damage and AR were a joke). That and their poison immunity, an AoE melee attack and ~800 hp resulted in an outcome you can probably guess.

· Act 3, forgotten temple – merc, decoy and the long melee range of the javelins make for a safe build overall, but it has some limitation especially facing boss packs enhanced by fanaticism aura and under amp damage… I recovered the body and made a better use of the chock points this time.

· Act 5, bloody foothills – the act consisted of skeleton archers and slingers. None is LI so the progress was fast but I REALLY abused Slow Missiles in this area. Love this skill from now on.

· Act 5, the caves – from this point on it really felt like Hell, the challenge rose rapidly with each new area. Frozen river was especially hard with a nasty combination of gloams, rot walkers and claw vipers, had to go to town for supplies after every 1-2 encounters. Slowly but surely I made my way until finally managed to free Anya (after 30 long mins).

· Frenzytours is the bane of this char. The first encounter (fanatic/might & cursed) ended in a brutal death – they nuked the merc and decoy in one hit and I couldn’t shake them off, eventually the boss managed to land a hit…..1 hit KO. On the other hand I was surprised to see that LI frenzytours weren’t much of a problem in small groups under LR.

The ancients

The ancients were quite stressful, couldn’t separate them on my first attempt and ran out of javelins…..time to reroll. Second attempt started better, dispatched the leaper but then lost the merc and had to run around in circles waiting for PJ to slowly kill the other 2 while sneaking in a hit here and there (Is it me or the ancients are harder to separate in 1.14?), this was the point when the wand really proved its worth, couldn’t do it without LR.

WSK 1&2

This area deserves its own section. If the ancients weren’t enough, once I entered WSK, just around the corner was a frenzytours pack (extra strong) that greeted me warmly. Managed to lure them away from the stairs into a nearby hall that was filled with several more boss packs, one of them was sporting a fanatic aura. I was cornered and made a narrow escape through TP (83 poitns left). Had to run all the way back from ancients' way but at least had some room to maneuver. Second level was literally Hell with all the gloams and mummies, lost count on merc resurrections but finally cleared the level although it took an agonizing 30 minutes. Baal himself and the waves were dispatched without special problems.

A stairs trap in act 5
    Screenshot005.jpg

Merc

During the planning stage I decided to use act5 merc with Bing Sz Wang sword (LR and FO looked like a good combo), since the sword has only 5% ctc FO I thought that inner sight will help him to hit more, which means more FOs flying around. He fared quite well but was a bit fragile especially when facing large groups. Sadly in Hell level 3 FO is just not enough…need to find a better use for this weapon. In the end I decided to change the merc to HF one which is much more suited for this build.

Conclusion and future plans

Likely retirement, still have a nice 'to do' list: buriza ice maiden, wws strafer, WF strafe, rabies druid, few interesting items to make a build around them…..

All in all quite a fun char, and highly recommended. LS is really a fun skill, especially when the monsters spread out a bit. The poison backup took care of any LIs especially under LR. Amazing that I never tried it before, but I'm glad I did eventually.

Finds
    Code:
    Verdungo's Hearty Cord

Pul rune
    Gul rune – Hell HF
    Um rune – NM HF

Scintillating Jewel of Wrath
    Required Level: 26
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: 83
    Fingerprint: 0x181aab7a
    +6 to Maximum Damage
    All Resistances +14

Gale Skewer --> from anya
    Maiden Javelin
    Throw Damage: 7 to 27
    One-Hand Damage: 9 to 17
    Quantity: 52
    (Amazon Only)
    Required Dexterity: 47
    Required Strength: 33
    Required Level: 17
    Javelin Class - Fast Attack Speed
    Item Level: 85
    Fingerprint: 0x52200202
    +24% Enhanced Damage
    +7 poison damage over 3 seconds
    5% Mana stolen per hit
    +1 to Mana After Each Kill
    +1 to Javelin and Spear Skills (Amazon Only)
    Increased Stack Size

Sparking Grand Charm of Life
    Keep in Inventory to Gain Bonus
    Required Level: 42
    Item Level: 58
    Fingerprint: 0xf770b688
    +9 to Life
    +1 to Lightning Skills (Sorceress Only)

Natural Grand Charm
    Keep in Inventory to Gain Bonus
    Required Level: 42
    Item Level: 57
    Fingerprint: 0x74cd5b95
    +1 to Elemental Skills (Druid Only)

Armageddon Veil
    Circlet
    Defense: 87
    Durability: 17 of 35
    Required Level: 43
    Item Level: 80
    Fingerprint: 0x8ddd30f1
    +181% Enhanced Defense
    +7 to Maximum Damage
    All Resistances +12
    5% Mana stolen per hit
    +1 to Barbarian Skill Levels

Bramble Mask
    Tiara
    Defense: 46
    Durability: 20 of 25
    Required Level: 67
    Item Level: 87
    Fingerprint: 0xb908df66
    +30 to Attack Rating
    Damage Reduced by 4
    All Resistances +20
    +2 to Amazon Skill Levels
    +3 to Light Radius
    10% Faster Run/Walk

Stats and skill

Str 105/130
    Dex 145/160
    Vit 173/198

LS/CS/PS – 20/20/18
    Plague javelins/Poison javeling – 20/28

Resists – 75/75/85/77

LCS
    Screenshot001.jpg

Equipment
    Code:
    Valkyrie Wing + PSkull
    Mara (28 res)
    Naj's Light Plate + 15 ias/6 CR jewel
    Moser's + 2 Pdiamonds

Thunderstroke
    +3 to Lightning Bolt (Amazon Only)
    +4 to Javelin and Spear Skills (Amazon Only)

Tgods
    Raven frost

Dread Circle
    Ring
    Required Level: 41
    Item Level: **
    Fingerprint: 0xbbf017b5
    +13 to Energy
    Fire Resist +3%
    Lightning Resist +24%
    Cold Resist +3%
    Poison Resist +24%
    Adds 1-6 fire damage
    Replenish Life +7

Beast Blazer
    Wyrmhide Boots
    Defense: 89
    Durability: 36 of 36
    Kick Damage: 65 to 100
    Required Strength: 50
    Required Level: 52
    Item Level: 94
    Fingerprint: 0x84b65d5a
    +42% Enhanced Defense
    +15 to Attack Rating
    Lightning Resist +25%
    Cold Resist +39%
    Replenish Life +4
    +1 to Light Radius
    20% Faster Run/Walk

Shadow Hold
    Chain Gloves
    Defense: 14
    Durability: 16 of 16
    Required Strength: 25
    Required Level: 35
    Item Level: **
    Fingerprint: 0x81dc53cd
    +47% Enhanced Defense
    Cold Resist +5%
    Replenish Life +5
    20% Increased Attack Speed
    +2 to Javelin and Spear Skills (Amazon Only)

3x Passive
    1x Javelins & 12 fhr

FHR – 32
    IAS – 50
    Replenish life - 16

Thanks for reading!

PhineasB and Pb_pal like this.
  2. TedDeeBoy

TedDeeBoy Diabloii.Net Member

Congrats, always nice to get title and interesting twist on a light Zon and nice write up. The tiara is nice and will look great on her or another Zon.

3. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Congrats. Well done :).

There's one typo: the stair trap is in Act 4.