Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Matriarch Serena

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Thirty-Thirty, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Thirty-Thirty

Thirty-Thirty Diabloii.Net Member

Matriarch Serena

Ahoy,

Having spent around 30 minutes in the fight against Baal, I now no longer have any softcore characters that have not finished Hell. Here is the latest addition, my M'Avina Frostmaiden.

Matriarch Serena
    Level 80 Frostmaiden

Stats
    Str: 85 (125)
    Dex: 130 (181)
    Vit: 225 (225)
    NRG: 35 (38)

Life: 883 (883)
    Mana: 163 (213)
    Resists: 74/53/60/62 (F/C/L/P)

Normal Arrow: 416-1292
    Freezing Arrow: 1351-1510
    Immolation Arrow: 1044-1062

Skills
    20 Freezing Arrow
    10 Cold Arrow
    20 Immolation Arrow
    8 Exploding Arrow
    20 Valkyrie
    1 into prerequisites and every P&M skill
    Equipment gives +7 all skills

Gear
    M'Avina's Battle Hymn
    Rare amulet: +1 skills, 5% mana steal, +5 resist all
    Rare rings, between them: +18 resist all, ~150 AR, other stuff
    Rare greaves: not sure why I'm still wearing them

Merc
    Act II Might merc
    Tal Rasha's Crest
    Duriel's Shell
    And this beauty, courtesy of Darkwell:

Insight
    Cryptic Axe
    'RalTirTalSol'
    Two-Hand Damage: 170 to 742
    Durability: 33 of 33
    Required Dexterity: 93
    Required Strength: 155
    Required Level: 59
    Polearm Class - Slow Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 86
    Fingerprint: 0x6401395a
    +5 to Strength
    +5 to Energy
    +5 to Dexterity
    +5 to Vitality
    +230% Enhanced Damage
    +9 to Minimum Damage
    Adds 5-30 fire damage
    +75 poison damage over 5 seconds
    23% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    +2 to Critical Strike
    35% Faster Cast Rate
    225% Bonus to Attack Rating
    +2 to Mana After Each Kill
    Level 14 Meditation Aura When Equipped
    Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (4: 4 used)

Comments
    A fair amount of fun. Freezing arrow can be spammed (especially with the Insight), which makes for a good show. I often shattered rows of carvers with single arrows. She slowed down quite a bit towards the end though. Even though monsters aren't ever immune to both fire and cold (except uniques), there are times when they have immunity for one and very high resistance on the other. To speed up these bits, I had a Wand of Lower Resistance on switch.

I principally used Freezing Arrow, with Immolation Arrow as a backup. I spent a while with a few points over, trying to decide whether to beef up Freezing Arrow or Immolation Arrow. I decided on Immolation in the end. Firstly, this level of FA is viable, since M'Avina gives the +20% cold skill damage bonus. Secondly, IA has a cooldown, so you can't spam it. Its nicer for IA to actually do some decent damage, since you can't speed it up any. That said, I think when Exploding Arrow hits 10 she'll be done beefing IA.

The main fights were weird. With the Ancients, the Whirlwinder (Talic?) decided to take on my Valkyrie. Great. But Korlic and Madawc decided to hunt me down, completely ignoring my merc. So I ran in small circles while my merc beat up Madawc, who refused to run from the merc or engage him. Madawc fell, and I continued my little loops to avoid the leaper (Korlic?) while my merc moved on to Talic with my Valkyrie. Talic wasn't interested in the merc either, so the merc killed him. Then, the merc and Valk caught up with Korlic and took a shot every now and then, me still doing my loops. So I killed the Ancients, more by strategy than strength, using only 80 arrows. Whatever.

Lister was uninteresting. I had the whole pack frozen most of the time, and the merc was stealing enough life to stay alive. Baal was a bastard. Once again, I think the demons of the Burning Hells were blind to guys with spears. Neither my merc nor Valk could distract Baal from me, and this character isn't really a tank. He'd use the mana draining attack, then the Cold-V, then put tentacles everywhere. Repeat for about half-an-hour. Don't forget that this guy has monster elemental resists, and I couldn't get in enough arrows per cast of Lower Resist to make it really useful. I died once, mostly because I wasn't paying careful attention. I also burned about 10 big grape juices. Eventually he puked, and out popped a rare grim wand and Dangoon's Teaching. Thanks buddy.

So now I have 12 Mats/Pats, and a Destroyer Fishy making his way through Hell. Thats the next project. After that, who knows...

Thanks for the read,
    30-30

2. San

San Diabloii.Net Member

Guess you forgot to add something there.

3. Reborn2k

Reborn2k Diabloii.Net Member

Firstly congratulations! :thumbsup:

But then I have to admit that the damage, doesn't look that powerful... I haven't finished the set yet, I still need the bow, but I fear that my m'avinazon will require a similar efford to get through hell like my natsin (I actually did it in MP)... Hmm.

Thanks for the information, now I can prepare for that! ;)

4. Thirty-Thirty

Thirty-Thirty Diabloii.Net Member

I also did an MA Assassin that needed help. This honey did it solo, and it wasn't too much trouble. The Valkyrie and Decoy mean shes a lot less vulnerable than an Assassin. And after all, Hell is meant to be difficult!

5. whomhead

whomhead Diabloii.Net Member

Congrats on the Mat! I found Baal to be a very tough fight with mine. :thumbsup:

Don't let the displayed damage fool you, reborn, Frostmaidens are very powerful. Remember that each arrow can peirce multiple targets and each time it hits something it causes lots of splash damage.

6. Reborn2k

Reborn2k Diabloii.Net Member

Well, yes, but you are just pointing out another flaw of that build: The lack of a razor's tail! :(

7. whomhead

whomhead Diabloii.Net Member

That gives a 65% chance to pierce. Trust me, it is plenty.