Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Matriarch Petra, M'Avina's FA/Strafezon

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Colorless Green, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Colorless Green

Colorless Green IncGamers Member

Matriarch Petra, M'Avina's FA/Strafezon

Class-specific #5/8:

Matriarch Petra, Level 82 M'Avina's FA/Strafezon

Str: 77 (122)
    Dex: 87 (152)
    Vit: 321 (331)
    Ene: 15 (15)

Life (with BO): 1898
    Mana (with BO): 641
    Resists (Hell): 30/30/30/30
    FA Damage (per LCS): 2510-2714
    Strafe Damage (per LCS): 475-1641
    AR: 2893

Skills:
    Cold Arrow: 20 (32)
    Frozen Arrow: 20 (32)
    Strafe: 20 (32)
    Valkyrie: 9 (17)
    Pierce: 11 (19)
    All Other Passives: 1 (9)
    Bow Pre-Reqs: 1 (13)

Equip:
    M'Avina's True Sight
    M'Avina's Embrace
    M'Avina's Icy Clutch
    M'Avina's Tenet
    War Traveller
    Crescent Moon
    The Stone of Jordan
    Raven Frost
    M'Avina's Caster (Shael)
    CTA/Lidless on switch
    Might Merc: eth Insight Thresher, ebug Treachery, Tal's Mask

Well, to start with the good, this is by a wide margin the sturdiest bowazon I've ever played. That pretty much covers it for the "good" section.

On to the complaining. I played hell entirely on p1 because of how poor a backup skill strafe wound up being with this equipment. Everything non-CI shattered into hundreds of pieces basically instantly, and everything else basically got taken down by the merc despite my holding down the strafe button. Given the amount of CI's that have high life, high physical resistance, or both, things got a bit tedious at times. Also, I'm fairly sure the D2 gods were taunting me all through this char, because I encountered a truly unreasonable amount of CI bosspacks including at least two of cursed, ES, and EF, which would take down my merc almost instantly leaving me to whittle them away with strafe over a long period of time. Sadly, I think that strafe is the best backup skill available without becoming a hybrid, though exploding arrow started looking pretty attractive towards the end.

I think she could be an effective AT runner given the right map and a harmony on switch - it's not hard to reach reasonable levels of MF with the set, and as I said before, non-CI's all die almost instantly, particularly when in groups. I'm too annoyed with the char to actually give AT a decent shot, though, so I'll leave that for someone else.

I found absolutely nothing. Io/Pul from hellforges. Due to the aforementioned sturdiness, I didn't have any survivability issues anywhere really, the only death I had was when I let that superunique right outside LK whose name I don't remember corner me against the river and I sucked down all 16 of my potions without being able to move. I would've had plenty of time to S&E but I just let her die. Ancients were easy - the two non-CI's went down almost instantly as they do, but the last one (Korlic) took a while because he namelocked me and never let go, so it was quite tricky to get the merc to land hits. It was, actually, a pretty good example of the way the char played all the way through. Non-immunes instantly dead, and then no real danger from the immunes, but lots and lots of tedium. Baal was easy, too. Thankfully, lister didn't spawn CI so minions went about as quick as the average blizzsorc, and the CI skeletons actually got mowed down pretty well by strafe. Baal was a bit slow due to his resistance, but eventually he went down.

I very much doubt I'll ever touch this char again, and the level of annoyance means I won't be doing an Aldur's druid next, so I'm trying to decide between Griswold and Tal Rasha (leaning a bit towards the latter) as my next.

I haven't been this happy to mat a char in a long, long time.

-CG

2. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

Re: Matriarch Petra, M'Avina's FA/Strafezon

Well done, CG.

The low AR certainly doesn't help your already abysmal Strafe. =X. lol.

3. Cygnus

Cygnus IncGamers Member

Two words: Immolation Arrow. Timer or not, it does good damage and is helped more by your gear setup. You used your decoy, right?

Good luck with the remaining three!

4. Colorless Green

Colorless Green IncGamers Member

I used decoy scouting when there were dangerous ranged attackers nearby. Posative resists plus the life pool had me sturdy enough that I wasn't ever really in a dangerous situation, things were just slow. In the extremely unlikely event that I'd ever do this char again, I'd probably go with a fire spell rather than strafe, but I'm not sure it'd be much better.

And, yeah, my AR sucked, which is definitely a spot I could have improved things - my inv was full of mana and skillers, replacing them with some steels or something probably would've been smart. It just seemed somewhat futile because my merc could kill immunes at about ten times the speed I could.

-CG

5. TedDeeBoy

TedDeeBoy IncGamers Member

Congrats GC, I can understand your frustration with Mav's set, Ravenfrost and CIs with strafe. The cold damage being approximately 15% total strafe LCS damage (approx 260 max from the set and 45 max from Ravenfrost * 3/4 = 225) meaning much lower actual CI damage output. That combined with a low AR which can hamstring a bow based Zon build using strafe.

I guess I would have put more pts into penetrate to help strafe and for leeching and/or use a heled demon limb on switch in the stash for enchant and better AR and some extra fire damage. Unoriginal ideas I know but they seem work well for strafe.
    Specifically IHMO strafe builds need more dex to help AR and off weapon ED. With CtA, she would have lots of life/mana for SC. I previously used a backup slvl Strafe of 12 after +skills ( min 5 arrows) on a vamp Magazon and it seemed to work ok with a decent bow. Those extra pts could have gone into penetrate.

GL with your next few builds