Matriarch Nur - Blaze/FO sorc

mir

Diabloii.Net Member
Blaze is truly a unique skill among the sorceress arsenal. Not only it belong to same group as Berserk and Poison Dagger – which call for setups much different from what you usually use for those chars – but it also requires a big change in play style in order to use it effectively: suddenly running becomes much more important than teleport and the usual mercenary choices will probably be not so effective anymore; you have to stay close to the enemy but have the life pool of a sorceress and I didn’t even mentioned yet the various and usually conflicting needs that will affect your equipment choices....

When I made this sorc I had 2 goals in mind: as much FRW as I can master and combine blaze with ranged attack. While FRW wasn’t much of a problem, using bow with this sorc turned out to be a different matter completely. I blazed (literally) through the first 4 acts and although act 5 wasn’t much of a problem (still more difficult than the previous ones) I had a distant feeling of "wrongness" that something wasn’t exactly working as intended. I managed to drug it for about two and a half acts into NM before it got too frustrating to continue due to:

- Mix of immunities made it hard to effectively combine bow and blaze, especially when the melee ones, who chase you, were FI's and the archers weren’t. My damage was not enough to deal with them quickly, no merc to tank them, and in addition, blaze is hard to use vs statutory targets.​

- Blaze, as any sorc skill, gets a lot better with every skill point added while the bow side benefit more from equipment that add to DEX and AR which meant 2 different setups, more so, even the gameplay itself is quite different (blaze require constant moving = no shooting and shooting = no blaze is used) and since both setups meant to be used a lot it became a hassle to constantly switch between them.​

- High FRW it's all good and all but this equipment doesn’t add much in terms of blocking or damage reduction so every hit meant hit recovery and NDE experience.​

All the above coupled with fact that blaze required at least 60 points led to:

1. FO was chosen as a secondary attack – I could focus on + skills equipment
2. Added some FHR and iPDR to deal with stray hits
3. Added some LPK equipment – let's make the time spent running matter
4. Added some 'Replenish Life' – let's make the time spent running matter​

The game play became much easier after those changes and I could concentrate on laying blaze traps instead of dodging every hit.

So how to use blaze effectively?

The most popular methods include: overlapping circles, repeating the same line or cover a small area with overlapping lines. From my experience all of them have their uses depending on monsters types and attacks but what I found worked best was:

1. To advance in small segments while backtracking from time to time to cover small area with blaze
2. Once monsters were sighted, to teleport near them to bring the merc to my side
3. Let the merc to tank/distract the monsters for few moments/hits while covering a small area with blaze (about
5-10 overlapping lines) behind her​
4. Teleport to the other side of the patch and let the monsters follow me through the fire​

While quite effective versus any non-FI monsters that tend to follow me, I still had to struggle quite a bit with ranged types that tend to shoot first (and a lot) and follow later. Lots of FRW really help with quickly applying the said tactic but in the same time make it hard to control your char especially against ranged attacks, more than once I dodged a missile only to catch it while I reapplied a blaze line.

Journey

The beginning was uneventful and since I took a few long breaks while leveling her, I don’t remember much from those early stages.

Areas with lots of fire immune monsters are naturally more difficult, the first 3 areas in act 5 were pure hell with slingers, skeleton archers, those blue fallens and constant bombarding. At one point I even made 'Sanctuary' RW to deal with those pesky archers but even this proved not so effective since I still had to get close to them to use its charges. As with act 2 (skeletons and mummies) the most annoying proved to be the fallen groups with their long range resurrection (at least 3 screens away!) that made it hard to isolate the shamans. In both cases the solution was to lure the minions away, then teleport near the shamans/mummies and while the rogue shot at them I guarded our back with blaze and FO.

Arcane Sanctuary proved too much with its narrow spaces and though mix of immunities it was hard to make them chase me especially those vampires. After SLOWLY clearing one branch I just lost patience and teleported to the summoner platform. On the other hand Maggot lair proved to be a lot of fun and I foresee some time spent there in the future with this sorc.

RoF was another fun area without any FI monsters (including Hephasto) those who didn’t follow into blaze were killed with FW. CS was much easier than I expected, melee monsters were easily separated from oblivion knights and fell quickly to FO, the ghost type aren’t fire immune and that left only the OKs as the real problem. They were a bit tricky with their tendency not to follow and their skull spirit that forced me to break "eye contact" in order to avoid it but eventually I got them moving either by retreating or by setting FW underneath them.

I was a bit optimistic about the ancients hoping to defeat them in short manner, while Korlic and Madawk weren’t much of a problem Talic really gave me a RUN for my money. Eventually they went down after about 10 min.

Baal was much easier than I thought he will be, once the rogue hit him (50% slow) he almost didn’t moved from his spot, few FWs and a bit of LR charges took care of him. He did manage to clone himself twice but fast trip to town took care of it.

All in all a very interesting build with a different play style and can teach you a thing or two about the AI of ranged units. The only major drawback is the toll that build take on your eyes and hands with constant moving and poor graphic.

Finds
Aside from several RW bases almost nothing interesting dropped, not surprising with only 19% MF.

Hell HF – Gul
Code:
1.Grim Gnash
Balanced Axe
Throw Damage: 12 to 15
One-Hand Damage: 5 to 10
Quantity: 101
Required Dexterity: 57
Required Level: 37
Axe Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 83
Fingerprint: 0x5fe38483
+72 to Attack Rating
Adds 1-256 lightning damage
4% Life stolen per hit
8% Chance to cast Level 5 Chain Lightning on attack
+0 to Maximum Damage (Based on Character Level)
+16 to Attack Rating (Based on Character Level)

2. Rune Noose
Amulet
Required Level: 50
Item Level: 86
Fingerprint: 0xc3d47525
+17 to Strength
+2 to Dexterity
Fire Resist +19%
Lightning Resist +19%
Cold Resist +35%
Poison Resist +19%
+50 poison damage over 3 seconds
7% Damage Taken Goes to Mana

3. Shadow Eye
Amulet
Required Level: 33
Item Level: **
Fingerprint: 0xf35e072c
+37 to Mana
+1 to Maximum Damage
Fire Resist +14%
Lightning Resist +14%
Cold Resist +14%
Poison Resist +19%
10% Faster Cast Rate
8% Chance to cast Level 5 Chain Lightning on attack

5. Pestilent Large Charm
Keep in Inventory to Gain Bonus
Required Level: 58
Item Level: 83
Fingerprint: 0x8aa8a2b7
+175 poison damage over 6 seconds

The Build

Skills
FO – 20 (27)
Blaze – 20 (29)
Warmth – 20 (29)
FM – 20 (29)
CM – 5 (12)​

Stats
STR – 105 (119)
DEX – 25 (56)
VIT – 266
ENG – 35 (63)

Unused – 89​

HP – 757
Manna – 337

FHR – 42
FCR – 90 (63 BP)
FRW – 104 (100 BP)
iPDR – 32
Replenish Life – 7
LPK – 5

FR – 75
CR – 75
LR – 65
PR – 66

Equipment
Code:
Helm - Imp Crest
Circlet
'Sol'
Defense: 24
Durability: 34 of 35
Required Level: 33
Item Level: 75
Fingerprint: 0x5622dde5
Damage Reduced by 11
All Resistances +16
Adds 1-87 lightning damage
Attacker Takes Damage of 2
+1 to Sorceress Skill Levels
20% Faster Run/Walk
Socketed (1: 1 used)

Amulet - The cat's eye
Armor - SotV [email protected] (sol)
Weapon - Eschuta's (16% Fire & Lightning)
Shield - Head Hunter's Glory (PDiamond & 2 Sols)
Switch - LR wand (lvl 2) & Sanctuary RW ([email protected])
Gloves - Magefist
Ring 1 - SOJ

Belt - Demon Harness
Sharkskin Belt
Defense: 43
Durability: 14 of 14
Required Strength: 20
Required Level: 25
Fingerprint: 0x443dce4b
+3 to Strength
+60 to Life
+40% Enhanced Defense
Cold Resist +27%
Poison Resist +29%
Required Level +5
24% Faster Hit Recovery

Boots - Loath Trample
Sharkskin Boots
Defense: 62
Durability: 13 of 14
Kick Damage: 28 to 50
Required Strength: 47
Required Level: 29
Fingerprint: 0x66e8b539
+55% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +30%
Lightning Resist +34%
19% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
30% Faster Run/Walk
14% Chance to cast Level 5 Nova when struck

Ring 2 - Bitter Circle
Ring
Required Level: 41
Item Level: 69
Fingerprint: 0x94bbd5a4
+6 to Energy
+15 to Maximum Stamina
Fire Resist +29%
Cold Resist +22%
Replenish Life +7

Charms
Code:
Light sk (7 FRW)
2 x Fire sk (6 DEX/STR)
Cold sk (5 STR)
2 x 5 FHR SC (resists)
4 x 3 FRW SC (resists)
5 FRW LC (14 light)
8 FHR LC (13 cold)

Merc
Act1 rogue, cold arrow
Code:
Blackhorn's Face (15 IAS jewel)
Crow Caw (15 IAS jewel)
upped Riphook (20% ED jewel)

Credits - I would like to mention two threads that were quite helpful and contributed to this build:
https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/blaze-sorc.135918/
https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/blaze-sorc.705748/

Screenshots

Screenshot004.jpg

^ I even took her to the moor (after about 15 defeats :))

Screenshot005.jpg

Videos

1. Diablo & Mephisto

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Very nice. I always think about making a Blaze/Thunderstorm sorc. But in the end it's probably too tedious to my taste.

Reactions: mir

Pb_pal

Diabloii.Net Member
Awesome mat, congrats! very nice writeup as well, Blaze is on my never-ending to-do list as well.

Luhkoh

Diabloii.Net Member
Loved this. As I was reading, I was thinking this build demands gameplay videos. And you provided (love the music btw). Also love the blood moor pentagram.