Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Matriarch Layla (I did it!)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Crazy Runner Guy, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

Matriarch Layla (I did it!)

Here is my latest quest, Layla, a frozen orb/fireball sorc designed to run Baal and company, as originally designed in this thread. This time, it's in pictures:

Stats (at Mat time)
    Cold Tree
    Fire Tree
    Merc (Holy Freeze, Kelpie is amn'd, armor/helm IAS jewel'd)

Weapon Switch (/w lidless wall)

Gear:
    Death's Fathom (26%/-3%)
    CoH (archon)
    Nightwing's (13% and clean)
    Tal's Ammy
    Lidless Wall (p diamond)
    Trang's Gloves
    2x SoJ
    Arachnid Mesh
    13/14/70% (stats are close, res is exact) Treks

Inventory:
    2 Cold skillers
    2 fire skillers
    6 mana/life sc's
    res filled with 19-20 life sc's

*added after mat*
    15% res GC
    1 fire res/life sc
    2 cold res/life sc's
    2 vita sc's

Stats (base):
    str 91 (81 points used)
    dex: base at mat/now at 42 /w items (added 7 to base) for Ali Baba
    vita: everything else

And now the story:

This character started out a new sorc project that I wanted to do for some time. I have always like FO over blizzard because A) it looks so much better, and B) you can aim more effectively with it than blizzard. The problem has always been getting in enough damage to really make it effective. So that's what I went and did. Maximized Orb damage. I set a goal of 1k, and went out to get it. I thought I was going to miss it without maxing out the skillers. I was wrong.

The results were pretty typical of an orber. PvM was a joke, the only trick was getting down using two skills (I'm used to Hammering everything). After that, life was easy. She's been running Baal /w max resistances and is clvl 89 (17 life and 1 more point in FM than this current screenshot ). Throne and waves 1-2 are on /p1, and 3-5 on /p8, baal on /p3. Runes are about 6 minutes.

While running, Gloams are a joke. One orb pounds them, and static/FB takes care of most everything CI (succubi and vampires).

On the Merc: I tested a few combinations:
    1. amn'd kelpie/ias shaft/ias kira's
    2. amn'd Reaper's/ias shaft/ias kira's
    3. amn'd Reaper's/ias Guardian Angel/ias kira's
    4. amn'd Kelpie/ias Guardian Angel/ias kira's

I found that I needed the 90% res, as the merc is needed to hold the line and keep chars in place. Also, while the Reaper's is better for minions, the Kelpie is much, much better and necessary for Baal (b/c he needs to stay put). Also, the merc's fire res is still at 90 while under conviction because of kelpie's +50% fire res.

As for the future of this character, I need 5 more cold skillers to really make put a dent in monsters' cold resistance (and get it to -150%). I estimate that the skillers would bump up orb damage 150 points (30 each, approximately).

I have a question though. Does Fathom/Ormus/Nightwing's/facets +X% cold damage stack with synergy +X%, or do the two percents multiply?

That's all. Woot.

crg

2. druidkid9

druidkid9 IncGamers Member

very well done crazy runner guy. Your forzen orb damage is just.............AMAZING. Good work and what will be your next project(character) which you will be working on?

anyways great job.

DK9

3. Fluffballer

Fluffballer IncGamers Member

How is having relatively low CR workin' for you? My sorcs tend to get battered by Baal's hoar frost so I got mad and made one with 80 CR and +15 cold absorb.

4. AJK

AJK IncGamers Member

Congratz with your mat. May her frozen balls rule the throne. That didn't sound right...
    They multiply:

damage = (base damage * (1 + skill bonus%/100) ) * (1 + (facet/fathom/etc bonus%/100) )

That's why +5% facets rock so hard (and Death's Fathom even harder). You still have a hat to socket...

5. Crazy Runner Guy

After I mat'd her, I filled in some res holes with my remaining 8 charms spots. Now shes at 75/75/75/75 (this current screenshot).

crg

6. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

Here's a good thead on synergy + mastery calculations. http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=485416 AJK hit it dead on for cold spells. The formula is a little diffrent for fire and lightning spells. (+% damage is added to your mastery level, then multiplied by applicable synergy mods)

7. Crazy Runner Guy

I just ran some numbers with my newfound information on how synergies and facets work:

Assuming perfect gear:
    8 cold skillers
    fathom /w facet
    fireball ormus /w facet
    Nightwing's / facet
    Mara's
    Sanc Shield (needed for res)
    Magefist
    2x SoJ
    Arachnid
    Trek's (my boot choice)

You get for FO damage /w 20 FO/20 synergy
    566 * (1.4) + (1.75) = 1386 damage! WOW!
    Fireball gets 4362 /w 1 point in FM. Again, WOW!

I looks like that if you can max res, the setup of choice involves Ormus because of the +X% to cold damage. The fire % doesn't matter too much, and if you get to 14%, that's like two in mastery. With +3 fireball, that takes care of that damage. Sure you lose the lidless by needed the sanc shield, but you get FHR and lots of res. The facets (if you use three) will negate the +3 CM lost from the +skills. Why didn't I think of this before! Luckily, I can swap the gear and have the same base str. I'm gonna make a sanc shield when I get home.

crg

8. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

Well done CRG. Getting your FO to explode right inside Baal must indeed chop away great chunks of his life bar.

Nice new 'tar.

9. Zhao_Yue

Zhao_Yue IncGamers Member

gg, FO is awesome.

I actually did Baal runs with my PvP FO/TS, and it was ok.

10. Crazy Runner Guy

Aye: The way I figure it, if the orb explodes right on Baal, that's 16 shards (orb releases 64 shards, 4 waves of 16) at 1k damage. Baal's resistances are somewhere around -75 with me, so that's 16 * 1.75k = 28000 damage. And that's not counting the other shards that hit him.

crg

11. nebux

nebux IncGamers Member

congrats on your mat
    o_O nice tar too

12. Reborn2k

Reborn2k IncGamers Member

Nicely done!

Your avatar shows that you are... erm... very proud of it! :wink3:

I had quite the same build in my mind, calculating possible FO damage and being astonished how powerful it can be. I've just not made this build until now, but when I do, this thread and your character will be a great inspiration to me. Thanks! :thumbsup:

13. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

Yup, looks pretty good, 6 mins per baal-run sounds a bit high though from what I'd estimate.

14. Crazy Runner Guy

Most of the time is spent on waves 4 and 5. With more cold charms, damage will increase substantially ad run time will drop. Or I'll take the same gear and make a blizballer.

crg

15. jrlafrance

jrlafrance IncGamers Member

Congrats on the Mat CRG! Boy, once summer was over, you plunged right back into D2...glad to see it!

May I inquire where you get the information regarding when the Orb explodes. I never realized that 4 waves of 16 shards came from it when it exploded. Or is it 4 waves of 16 shards during the Orbs journey?

16. Kefir-Tribe

Kefir-Tribe IncGamers Member

Congratulations to the Matriarch! Want to add a "99" to that avatar?

17. BabyLink

BabyLink IncGamers Member

This sounded weird to me too, i'd like to know if it is in the "orbing baal" session or in one orb

18. Crazy Runner Guy

Four waves of 16 come out during the orb's journey. They are released evenly in time and distance. The last wave is the one where the orb disappears. It is this wave that must land on Baal for maximum killing effect.

crg

19. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

That is why the distance between Baal or Mephisto is rather crucial when it comes to getting out the max damage.

I will link this in the Sorceress Guide Library. Thank for this great idea. There are still "new" builds out there worth trying, even though i don't think i can get the optimal gear together.

20. JohnFrusciante

JohnFrusciante IncGamers Member

I can't see the uploaded pics of the stats and skills. Can you please write the skills and stats down (without skillers, stuff, skillshrine etc.)?