Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Matriarch Lavora

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Thirty-Thirty, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Thirty-Thirty

Thirty-Thirty IncGamers Member

Matriarch Lavora

I'm not one for writing stories about my characters, so apologies to the readers of such like. A while back my Sorceress picked up a Arioc's Needle with 387 max damage and +4 skills. I couldn't let it go to waste, so I built a "Lightning Spearazon". I'm a skeptic about playing shieldless characters untwinked (I'm impatient), so I gave her The Disciple, Kira's Guardian, and a couple of rare rings she found along the way. Altogether, the kit has +7 skills, maxed resists and a killer attack speed. Her final stat breakdown:

Level 82 Amazon
    Str: 155 (for the Needle)
    Dex: 120 (ditto)
    Vit: 215
    Ene: Pardon?

Life: 831
    Mana: 181

with a couple of attribute points left over. Skills were:

20 Power Strike
    20 Charged Strike
    20 Lightning Strike
    20 Valkyrie
    1 into prerequisites, Impale, Jab, and all passive skills except Pierce.

Hireling was a Defiance merc, with an 'Honor' lance, Tal's mask and a rare ethereal Diamond Mail (1296 defense). He was useful, but far from necessary. A level 27 Valkyrie is tank enough.

She breezed through Normal and Nightmare, but got seriously hampered when she first hit Hell, having to deal with the Lightning Immunes without a really good spear. Okay, it was Lycander's Flank, but it just didn't seem to cut it. I didn't want to point points into Penetrate, since the Needle has Ignores Target's Defence. By Act III Hell I decided to give the merc some attention: Tal's mask seemed to do that, and I loaned him a Bonehew for a while.

There were some bad spawns along the way. Both council members I faced before Mephisto were Lightning and Physical Immune, so I couldn't kill them. Also, the Chaos Sanctuary spawned two unqiue Storm Casters, both of whom were Lighting and Physical Immune. Ancients were interesting: my Valkyrie managed to tank them while I picked off Talic, and then Korlic. We pinned down Madawc and killed the bugger last. Took a while, but I didn't die, even though Talic was Cursed.

The only one of Baal's minions that was really tricky was Achmel (not Lister, strangely enough). Throne of Destruction spawned Doom Knights, which the Horadric Mages resurrected from all over the place. Lister spawned with manageable mods, for a change. Baal was easy enough. For my efforts, he dropped a rare Razor Bow. Yay.

A couple of notes about this character, should you wish to make one. Firstly, Charged Strike is ridiculously powerful against single or small groups of (non-immune) monsters. (Actually, once I had Arioc's Needle, Lightning Immunes were a breeze too.) I guess that more than one of the charged bolts hits the monster, because I was taking down Gorebellies in the Frozen Tundra in two hits (/players 1, though). Also, this is a suprisingly viable build, provided you have enough physical damage on the weapon to take care of lightning immunes. Also, all the +skills from her kit took Dodge, Evade and Avoid to around 50%, which helped a lot. Not too expensive really, and well worth it.

If I went around it again, I might take the 20 points on Power Strike (which I never used) and put them on Lightning Fury instead, and keep a javelin on switch. And I wouldn't have bothered with Impale and Fend.

That's Mat/Pat number six now. I'll see how she handles things like the Moo Moo Farm, and perhaps level her a bit before moving on. Probably do an assassin next, while I'm in the mood for no shield and a summonable tank.

Cheers,
    30-30

2. corax

corax IncGamers Member

congrats on the new mat :D spearazons are the schnizzle for 'stylins'

3. frosty

frosty IncGamers Member

Agreed. Spearzons are the best. Congrats.

4. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

Congratulations! How was her survivability? A spearazon is on my to-do list, but I'm a little nervous about doing it in HC.

5. ChaoticTwitch

ChaoticTwitch IncGamers Member

Nice ! congrats on the mat. ive always wanted to mat. a spearazon but like cat said, little hesitent bringing it into HC.

cheers, C.T.

6. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Congratulations...That's so awesome, you have shown me the light...now I've got to go play my spearazon and get her through the enourmous throngs of lightning immune flayers.. Thanks:)

7. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Congrats!

Thats one of those builds I will try soon in the future :)

8. Reborn2k

Reborn2k IncGamers Member

Congratulations! :)

9. Kefir-Tribe

Kefir-Tribe IncGamers Member

Congratulations!

10. Thirty-Thirty

Thirty-Thirty IncGamers Member

I've never understood you HC players. I just quietly respect what you do. I'm not sure that she'd get too far in HC without extra-painstaking play. She did die less than many of my other characters, since she has her Valk and the decoy, both of which make it quite easy to avoid getting hit, on top of all those passive skills.

It's probably as doable as most builds, and I figure someone will try sometime (and good luck to you).

11. XorceR

XorceR IncGamers Member

Congrats on your mat!

I'm actually planning to do a spearazon in HC, since I found a near-perfect Stoneraven a while ago. I might max Fend though. It seems pretty good to me. Anyway, I have a septavirate to finish first, and that will take several months.

12. EnerSense

EnerSense IncGamers Member

Congratulations! :)

13. isengart

isengart IncGamers Member

congrats! nice build too.

14. HolyPade

HolyPade IncGamers Member

Congrats on the Mat!

15. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove IncGamers Member

gg there, amazing char really

16. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

using Fend will get you killed in no time, it is badly bugged.

17. Liquid_Evil

Liquid_Evil IncGamers Member

Masterfully done Hero!

Nice character but I didn't see your dmg listed anywhere. 3K max or more than that?