Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Matriarch Jael, lvl 83 Avengeress (Kingslayer Sorc)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by BlizzBallerSorc, Oct 9, 2014.

1. BlizzBallerSorc

BlizzBallerSorc IncGamers Member

The Story
    Jael looked at the pile of ashes that she had once called home.

She couldn't believe it had only been a day since she had returned. Having finished her training with the Zann Esu, she had come home to find the village ransacked, many of the buildings burned. Jael's home was one of them; and her mother had perished in the fire. Those who survived told stories of the Dark Wanderer who had visited and the evil that followed him. After burying their dead, the grieving villagers tried to piece together what was left of their belongings.

Now Jael had lost both her parents because of the Prime Evils' spreading corruption. Her father Lachdanan had once been a great hero, a lieutenant in King Leoric's Army. But when monarch let himself be corrupted, Lachdanan had slain him. Jael and her mother barely escaped Khanduras with their lives, and Jael never saw her father again. There were rumors that Leoric had cursed her father with his dying breaths so that the poor lieutenant's soul was left wandering for eternity. Others said he had been freed by the same hero who had ultimately vanquished the Lord of Terror himself. In times of hope, Jael believed the latter story, but staring at the charred remains of her home, she felt an overwhelming pessimism. It seemed that the forces of evil had erased every happy memory. Not a single memento was left in these ashes.

"Jael."
    The young sorceress turned, startled, having thought she was alone. She stood numb with shock at the figure she beheld, bathed in the light emanating from this otherworldly spirit. The ghost opened it's mouth to speak.
    "I am thy father’s spirit. I was doomed for a certain term to walk the night, and for the day confined to fast in fires, until that day when a hero set my soul at rest."
    "Father!" exclaimed Jael.
    "Listen, listen! If you ever loved your poor dear mother—
    Revenge this foul and most unnatural murder."

Lachdanan extended his hand, offering a massive axe. As Jael grasped it, a peculiar mix of frost, sparks and flames flickered down the length of the weapon.

"Take it. It was this that slew Leoric, and I'm sure this Kingslayer will aid you in your quest for vengeance. I am sorry I do not have more of my armory to offer you. I gave my helm to the hero who brought me my freedom."
    "Then the stories are true?" asked Jael.
    "Yes." Lachdanan smiled. "My soul is at rest, and it was in fact the powers of Heaven that sent me here to intervene. But now I must go."
    He embraced his daughter. Then he was gone.

Jael was left standing in the darkness.
    The Character - Jael - Level 83 Sorceress

Damage (@10 FPS)

Vengeance Damage with Enchant: 15k-23k LCS
    Vengeance Damage Only: 4401-10K LCS

Screenshot: Jael makes Matriarch.

Attributes (naked / geared)
    Strength: 81/167
    Dexterity: 28/50
    Vitality: 361/371
    Energy: 35/35

Life: 1769 with CtA
    Attack Rating: 2497 (With Infinity on the Merc, hitting wasn't a problem.)
    Resists in Hell: 75 Fire / 10 Cold / 75 Lightning / 80 Poison
    FHR: 86% Breakpoint

Skills (hard points only)
    1 Each - Pre-reqs
    1 Static Field
    1 Frost Nova
    1 Teleport
    20 Fire Mastery, Enchant, Warmth
    20 Lightning Mastery
    1 Cold Mastery
    4 Shiver Armor

Gear
    Amulet: Highlord's Wrath
    Helm: Andariel's Visage with 15 IAS / 15 FR jewel
    Weapon: Kingslayer in 1.07 Eth Glorious Axe - Screenshot, Readout:
    Code:
    Kingslayer
    Glorious Axe
    MalUmGulFal
    Two Hand Damage: 320 - 755
    Indestructible
    Required Level: 66
    Required Strength: 154
    Required Dexterity: 45
    Fingerprint: 0x22a21e13
    Item Level: 87
    Version: Expansion
    +30% Increased Attack Speed
    256% Enhanced Damage
    -25% Target Defense
    20% Bonus to Attack Rating
    33% Chance of Crushing Blow
    50% Chance of Open Wounds
    Prevent Monster Heal
    +1 to Vengeance
    +10 to Strength
    40% Extra Gold from Monsters
    Ethereal
    Armor: Chains of Honor Wire Fleece (nice boost to resists, +skills)
    Ring 1: Ravenfrost
    Ring 2: Rare with +16 str, 7% LL, 3% ML, 15% LR, 13% FR
    Belt: Arachnid Mesh (+skills)
    Boots: War Traveler (the +damage gives a boost to Vengeance)
    Gloves: Laying of Hands
    On switch: Call to Arms / Spirit Monarch

Merc - Neeraj, Holy Freeze Merc
    Helm: Delirium Bone Visage
    Armor: Eth-bugged Treachery Wire Fleece
    Weapon: Infinity in 1.07 Eth Thresher

Notes on Gear
    I started out using Kingslayer in a Colossus Blade, and had 110% off-weapon IAS for 13 fps attack speed (Treachery, Nosferatu's Coil, Guillaume's with IAS Jewel). The Glorious Axe enabled me to attain a much faster attack speed (10 fps), and once Andariel's was available (Act 4 Hell), I could amp the +skills gear up for some increased damage. CoH was also nice, as I could empty out some of the res charms in my inventory and provide more room for fire/light skillers, etc.

Gameplay
    I suppose the main thing that surprised me about this character was how much damage she ended up doing. I knew it'd be decent, but I couldn't figure out how to calculate it all ahead of time with how Vengeance interacted with the masteries, so I decided just to wait and try different things out when I was at a high enough level. I also knew that I didn't have the gear/resources to do this character perfectly, so I just had to do the best with what I had. I was pleasantly surprised! I actually switched to the Glorious Axe base for what I thought would be a marginal increase and attack speed, thinking it would make the character feel a little quicker, but it also ended up cranking my damage a lot higher since I could use more +skills gear that helped both my Vengeance and Enchant damage. I know I can prebuff Enchant by switching out gear, but it's a bit of a pain and takes up too much space in the stash, so I generally just prebuff by throwing some fire skillers in the inventory. This character certainly had a much slower attack speed than my most recent Pat (link), a Fanatic Zealot with 13-26k damage per hit, but I think Jael may have actually hit harder when factoring in the Convinction aura. I honestly didn't even expect her to be in the same neighborhood as the Pally damage-wise, and although she swings much slower, I was quite pleased at the LCS numbers.

Note: fire skillers and lightning skillers were equal as far as Vengeance damage, but of course fire amps up the Enchant much more. While questing, I decided to try only using lightning skillers. Obviously, the overall damage was much less, topping out at around 15k without no prebuff, but Jael still seemed to hit almost as hard as with the 23k Enchant damage with prebuff. I can think of a few reasons for this. 1) Her damage was already imbalanced with more Fire than Lightning, so a more well-rounded attack would hit harder on most monsters, especially fire immunes or monsters with high fire resist. 2) Infinity lowers Lightning resistance more than Fire. Of course the best of both worlds would be to prebuff with fireskillers, then switch them out for lightning skillers, but I was a bit too lazy for that most of the time.

So damage was good. Survivability? I should begin by saying that I think I just like playing brittle characters. I started a Frenzy Barb and parked him in late NM because I just got bored with it. Don't get me wrong, he was a cool character even though I just had random gear on him, but he was so tanky that I felt I needed more of a challenge. That said, I felt this character was quite viable in Hell. I really only had a few deaths when I was trying to play on p8 (I originally had this idea of playing through all of Hell at p8), but otherwise she was fairly safe by my standards as long as I didn't let myself get mobbed and waited on the Delirium to do its thing. The merc's Delirium helm was fantastic. I can only imagine how a 1.07 would work, as I really only had to wait a second or two before something procced. I mostly used the rare ring for the +str and LR/FR, but I was doing enough physical damage that the life leech actually helped, which surprised me. I noticed a slight difference difference when fighting unleechables. I again tried ignoring poison and cold resists, and this time I didn't even stupidly die from letting poison drain me to 1 life. I had no deaths after equipping endgame gear.

Most monsters were fairly debilitated by the combination of the procs from Delirium, Holy Freeze, Frost Nova, and Shiver Armor. Being slowed to a crawl, I really didn't have to worry about them much. The dangerous areas (like CS) were more difficult because the Mages would stay out of range and still pack a decent punch.

Questing summary: Perhaps the strangest thing that happened was having to re-roll maps in Act 2 of Hell: there was no second level of the Maggot Lair. I thought I was going crazy, carefully covering every inch of Maggot Lair level 1 several times, but as you know it's a pretty simple area, so apparently it was just a bug. Andariel went down hard as she always does with Enchantresses, and so did Duriel and Mephisto. For whatever reason the Chaos Sanctuary was a bit more dangerous than I had remembered. I proceeded through Hell without much problem, but once I got to Act 4 I wanted to use my endgame set up, and needed level 83 because of Andariel's. So, I went back and did Pit runs until 83, and then continued on to finish Act 2.

The Ancient's weren't too bad, but Merc couldn't hold up without LL, so I switched back to Vampire Gaze so he could leech from them and have some damage reduction. The procs on Delirium didn't seem to work on them.
    Though I had to play it a little safer than I expected in the Chaos Sanctuary, Baal's minions were surprisingly a breeze. It's fairly easy to herd them with pillars, and then once the Delirium confuses them, I could pick them off without problem. Lister even spawned Lightning Immune / Fire Immune, and I was surprised at how fast the cold damage took him down. It was definitely slower, but doable. Baal himself wasn't a problem--this kind of build (one focused, powerful attack) is generally well-suited for taking down end act bosses.

Finds:
    Runes: Hell Hellforge was a Mal, Um in NM Chaos Sanctuary.
    Items: Not much notable, but the thing I took screens of were a rare +skills Amazon amulet with teleport, Arcanna's Deathwand, Manald Heal, Tal Rasha's Horadric Crest, +20 max dmg jewel, Ichorstring, Atma's Wail, Grim's Burning Dead, Snakecord, Blackoack, Tiamat's, Venom Grip, and Hellmouth, Razortail, Demon Machine, Soulflay, Lightsabre.
    For some reason I've really wanted to find Lightsabre for quite a while, so that was rewarding. To me, it just has the coolest inventory graphic in the game.

All in all, a surprisingly sturdy, enjoyable character, who is definitely my favorite that I've made so far!

Thanks to those who offered help/encouragement along the way, and thanks to nulio for trading me the shiny 1.07 base! And if anyone got my lame allusions to literature/biblical history, props to you.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    Clervis likes this.
  2. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Lots of points to go what is next?

3. BlizzBallerSorc

Wait--maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but I actually used all my points. Maybe it wasn't clear that I put 20 in each skill (Enchant, FM, Warmth) for a total of 60. Then the 20 in LM and the rest.

4. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

Good character, I like!

Kingslayer is better than most people give it credit for. Then again, this is probably the best use for it.

5. BlizzBallerSorc

Thanks! For some reason I find myself drawn mostly to lesser-used items and/or uncommon builds, though I know Kingslayer sorcs have been done quite a bit. I really like the idea of a somewhat counterintuitive build based around a sick, overpowered weapon—your titan meleemancer with an eBotD War Pike comes to mind! Actually, I recall several builds you made (e.g. venomous wandbard) that really appeal to me.

Anyway, I’m thinking I’ll do several melee sorcs based around RWs with oSkills, etc. I enjoyed this character a lot, and as I said, she actually worked a lot more effectively than I anticipated. My next character will be far more brittle.

6. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

Freaking beautiful. We need some more action shots, though. Maybe a video. She looks BA holding that big GA. I wanna see her in action. And, man, look at that damage, phew! With Infinity, it's basically doubled, too. 10 frames is killer, also.

You mentioned a damage imbalance, on the side of fire. That can be kind of rough because of all the fire immunes in hell. One thing to consider is a Dream helm. It will give you about 1-13K lightning damage, which will help even things out. It's other perks aren't bad either, but the real opportunity cost is that 35 IAS you're getting from Andy's.

I love that you use Delirium on your merc.

7. BlizzBallerSorc

Thanks! She did look really cool. I wish I had ability to screen record. I will say that the Convinction aura, Chain Lightning from Infinity, Delirium procs, Holy Freeze, Poison Nova from Andy’s and Holy Bolt from LoH made for some ridiculous colors on the screen.

In places like the Maggot Lair it gets out of control:

Screen 1
    Screen 2

The Dream helm would be fantastic for this sort of build (though I don’t have the runes), but I think in my head, once you get a Dream on a character, you really want to get another Dream on, and then the Kingslayer goes from being the linchpin/showcase item of the build to being just dead weight, since you really want the fastest one-handed weapon possible at that point. So, if I get some high runes, I’d probably just go all out and make a DD Bearsorc or something like that.

Or, knowing me, I’d waste them on something I haven’t seen done before, that probably wouldn’t work very well, like a Dual Phoenix Enchantress (-56% enemy FR), which would be doubly sweet if you got the Redemption auras to roll the same so they’d stack. Or make Beast and have it on switch with Passion just so I could make a Berzerk Bearsorc because the name is so great. :D

Clervis likes this.
  8. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

Those pictures are trippy.

9. BlizzBallerSorc

You'll notice that at that point I was using Treachery (worked great until I could equip Andy's for IAS), so you can barely even see the character with Fade on and all those crazy procs! Sometimes I'd be thinking, "Wait--where am I?"

10. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

To my knowledge, it's not the level being the same that makes it stack, only that you have the auras both coming from equipment.
    So, you can get a level
    20-30 Redemption with sword/shield or sword/sword
    46 Holy Fire from 2xDragon, HoJ
    18 Fanaticism w/ 2xBeast
    30-36 Thorns with Bramble/Edge (Rogue?)
    24 Holy Freeze with dual Doom
    34 Might from Last Wish and Penultimate Wish
    20-36 Sanctuary from Azurewrathes and Lawbringers

Sorry, a little off topic.

11. BlizzBallerSorc

Not at all--I'm actually interested in this for future characters. I thought that the higher level aura always wins out, but perhaps that's only the case when one is from a character and the other is from a piece of equipment.

12. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

Exactly.

13. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

Spirits carrying axes? Ghosts hugging humans? What is this sorcery? *looks at character class* Oh, well everything seems to be in order here.

Good writeup for a sweet character. Glorious Axe is definitely a base for Kingslayer that I can support, and it sounds like you had a blast with her, which makes it even better. Congrats on the finds, as well.

Infinity's -(45-55) Lightning Resistance only applies on attacks from whoever is holding Infinity, so on your attacks fire and lightning resistances were being reduced evenly. Also, in regards to the Chaos Sanctuary, Balrogs and the OKs and their minions have high Fire Resistance and decent to high Lightning Resistance, and the Fingermages have 100 Lightning Resistance. Even with Infinity that's enough to slow things down, especially combined with the fairly high hit points those monsters have.

BlizzBallerSorc likes this.
  14. BlizzBallerSorc

I see; that makes sense re: Infinity. I guess the cold damage was doing its job more than I realized.

Something funny I realized today: I’ve seen many use DemonLimb for Enchant on this build, but that wasn’t an option for me since I didn’t have DemonLimb, so I just put hard points in Enchant. Today, I was randomly looking on GoMule and realized I DID pick up DemonLimb somewhere and just forgot about it. It was probably better doing hard points in Enchant anyway, since it allows an easier/bigger prebuff and CtA can always be on switch. Extra points would have just gone to Shiver Armor or something like that.

15. BlizzBallerSorc

So I couldn't resist posting what the LCS looks like with some max damage charms in the inventory for posterity's sake.
    4320-12k damage with just Vengeance and 15-24k with Enchant. :)

newvengeancedmg.jpg
    Enchantdmg2.jpg

Clervis likes this.
  16. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

Awesome.

Question. Jael isn't any play on Jaemie Lannister the Kingslayer is it? Thought just crossed my mind with my nose buried in A Storm of Swords.

17. BlizzBallerSorc

No, actually, Jael (Yael) was actually a king slayer from the Old Testament. Though she didn't use an axe: a tent peg right through the skull did the trick!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yael

18. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

Oh yea. I remember that. Judges was a weird book.

BlizzBallerSorc likes this.
  19. NoisemakerArrow

NoisemakerArrow IncGamers Member

Sisera was not a king, so Yael was not a king-slayer.

Remake.

20. BlizzBallerSorc

Haha, you've got me there! Commander slayer? General slayer? Just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Strangely enough, I just chose the name on a whim when I created the character, but afterward I thought about its origin and (mis)remembered that Jael had slain a king.