Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Matriarch Hippolyte, The Fishyzon

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ioupainmax, Aug 10, 2019.

1. ioupainmax

ioupainmax Diabloii.Net Member

Matriarch Hippolyte, The Fishyzon

No Matriarch screenshot - these were very early days for me and I hardly ever took any screenshots during this period of play.

Matriarch achieved on: 2008-06-?? (Hell Hell Forge was completed on 2008-06-24, so I assume that she became Matriarch soon after that in the same year.)

Introduction
    She was clearly based off Nightfish's guide and she did reasonably well with gear found from NM & Hell Mephisto.

Theme
    I'm sure most people are familiar with the Greek story that Hippolyte/Hippolyta was an Amazonian queen who possessed a magical girdle/belt. To that end, I personalised her Thundergod's Vigor.

Journey
    Can't remember much but apparently she found Waterwalks and War Travellers. She was a WSK & Baal runner, so her merc used a trusty upped Kelpie and she used a high roll Thunderstroke to take Baal down. From what I remember, certain spawns in WSK were still very tough for her - especially lightning immunes because mana was still an issue even with Insight. She was also one of my first Amazons since my restart in 2007-ish and she was the first to use Thunderstroke - so all in all a fun character to play.

Hell Forge
    HF: ?/Fal/Gul

Hippolyte Hell Hellforge Gul.jpg

Stats
    Code:
    Name:       Hippolyte
    Class:      Amazon
    Experience: 1471974469
    Level:      **

Naked/Gear
    Strength:   115/192
    Dexterity:  165/212
    Vitality:   235/262
    Energy:     15/32
    HP:         929/1159
    Mana:       145/317
    Stamina:    386/436
    Defense:    41/1346
    AR:         795/1189

Fire:       187/147/87
    Cold:       233/193/133
    Lightning:  221/181/121
    Poison:     150/110/50

MF:         80       Block:      80
    GF:         166      FR/W:       73
    FHR:        32       IAS:        20
    FCR:        0

Skills
    Code:
    JAVELIN + SPEAR SKILLS:

20 Lightning Fury
    20 Charged Strike
    01 Jab
    01 Power Strike
    01 Poison Javelin
    01 Lightning Bolt
    01 Plague Javelin

Subtotal: 45

BOW + CROSSBOW SKILLS:

20 Freezing Arrow
    20 Cold Arrow
    01 Ice Arrow

Subtotal: 41

PASSIVE + MAGIC SKILLS:

04 Valkyrie
    01 Inner Sight
    01 Critical Strike
    01 Slow Missiles
    01 Penetrate
    01 Decoy
    01 Pierce
    01 Dodge
    01 Avoid
    01 Evade

Subtotal: 13

Grand Total: 99

Level at which build complete: 99 – 11 = **

Gear
    Helm: Harlequin Crest (Um)
    Armour: Smoke Russet Armour
    Gloves: Viper Claw Chain Gloves (1 Jav / 20 IAS Hit Power Craft)
    Belt: Hippolyte's Thundergod's Vigor
    Boots: Natalya's Soul (23 CR/23 LR)

Amulet: Mara's Kaleidoscope (@26)
    Ring 1: Raven Frost (20 Dex/159 AR)
    Ring 2: Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band

Weapon 1: Titan's Revenge (Upped 199% ED / 7% LL)
    Shield 1: Stormshield (Um)

Weapon 2: Melody Grand Matron Bow (+3)
    Shield 2: Arrows

Stash: Kelpie Snare Stygian Pike (Amn)
    Thunderstroke Matriarchal Javelin (195% ED / +4)

Charms: Gheed's Fortune,1 x Fletcher's, 4 x Acrobatic, 1 x Harpoonist's, resists.

Vikhyat the Insight/Prayer Mercenary
    Helm: Crown of Thieves (Um)
    Armour: Duriel's Shell
    Weapon 1: Eth Insight Thresher (16 Meditation/3 Critical Strike)

Current Activity
    Retired

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    ffs, zemaj, DiabloTwoinDC and 4 others like this.
  2. Vildecor

Vildecor Diabloii.Net Member

This is one of the Furyzon variants I still really need to do. I enjoy seeing the different setups everyone uses on their Pat/Mat threads. Keep these up @ioupainmax , no matter what decade the characters were completed in!

ioupainmax likes this.
  3. ioupainmax

Thanks @Vildecor!

This lady can do well with quite modest gear, but I definitely recommend upped Titans for areas and Thunderstroke for bosses.

Her merc is also using my old standard budget set up of Insight/Duriel's/LL Helm.

I have since moved to Insight/Treachery/LL Helm. Although this creates a new issue of having so many characters needing Treachery that Lem runes are always in short supply.

Vildecor likes this.
  4. Luhkoh

Luhkoh Diabloii.Net Member

Nice! I made one of these early on (before my reset) as well, and she was a blast. I used wizendraw though I think. Great fun though. I'm not sure if I'm going to quest my next zon (who will be untwinked till after hell baal) as FA+lightning or pure lightning. We will see!

ioupainmax likes this.
  5. jonnyphive

jonnyphive Diabloii.Net Member

Nice mat. It's encouraging to see one you had fun and success with her given the non-ideal gear in some places. I've wanted to make one of these for quite a while but could never bring myself to do so while still missing certain items (Melody in a +3 Mat Bow, for instance) and trying to manage 200%+ MF. Do you have any idea what players setting you ran the WSK on and how smoothly it went?

ioupainmax likes this.
  6. ioupainmax

Since she is only level 8-8, I expect she did not run at too high a players setting. Maybe P3? Higher settings did cause mana issues even with Insight present.

jonnyphive likes this.
  7. jonnyphive

Makes sense - FA especially is a real mana hog. I imagine jamming some MPK on the gear would help although a 1.07 MPK ring would probably be needed to truly sort things out (similar to what @T72on1 did with his Ice zon).

T72on1 and ioupainmax like this.
  8. Luhkoh

@jonnyphive for what its worth, if I remember correctly when I calc'd this 8 months or so ago, I think wizendraw with a nice -cold res roll is as good or better than a +6 melody. The real best in slot being a cta in an elite +3 bow of course.

ioupainmax and jonnyphive like this.
  9. jonnyphive

@Luhkoh That's interesting. I've always wondered how impactful that -ECR would be compared to +6 skills. Do you recall if you found the Wizendraw to be better regardless of an enemy's cold resistance? Obviously, the higher the cold resistance, the better Wizendraw becomes, but I am just wondering if there is some threshold where Melody becomes better.

Wouldn't the real best in slot be an 'Ice' bow though?

ioupainmax and Luhkoh like this.
  10. Luhkoh

@jonnyphive ok you convinced me lets check it out. Assuming +10 all skills, FA dmg = 1819. If +6 from melody, dmg = 2308. If enemy has zero cold res, and you have -35 wizendraw, dmg = 1819*1.35 = 2455. Wizendraw gets better the higher the enemy cold res, as you said, and i don't know of any with negative cold res. So that's why I say wizendraw is higher dmg. But there plenty of other factors I didn't investigate such as atk speed or perhaps mana leech. And ofc if you are using infinity then the enemies will have negative res, but then you probably don't need FA at all. Regardless, I would think this shows you can make the character without waiting on the melody base :)

As for ice, it is ofc bis for a FA zon. For a fishyzon though, it's generally thought that having cta on bow slot is so much more playable that it is the best choice. You sacrifice some FA dmg for BO on swap, which is usually ok since you use LF more anyways. And if you don't need the extra health from BO (i know i would want it in WSK), it helps a ton with FA's mana consumption. But if you wanted to prebuff with cta and then switch weapons, I do think ice rw is bis as you said, but that sounds tedious enough that I'm hoping to try out the cta bow at some point down the line.

Edit: another small side benefit is -ECR doesn't cost extra mana, whereas +6 skills does.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  11. jonnyphive

@Luhkoh Hmm, I guess that was a simpler test than I should've figured. Thanks for running the simple math anyway (next time I'll actually use my brain and just work it out myself). :)

Great point about the CTA; I didn't even consider the fact that it benefits both weapon swaps. Well, the fishyzon never technically went off my "to do" list but I'll at least bump it back up a couple of slots!

Luhkoh likes this.
  12. Luhkoh

@jonnyphive No problem. Always good to show some numbers when you make a claim about dmg, probably should've had it in there to begin with :) I also want to try out that cta bow just so that there's SOMETHING to do with nice 5os bows.

zemaj, ioupainmax and jonnyphive like this.
  13. ioupainmax

@Luhkoh you make some very valid points for rune wealthy players, she was a budget character being mostly kitted out in drops from NM Meph. This was over a decade ago and I am still am not rolling in rune wealth because I struggle to do LK runs without my physical body in the real world dying of boredom.

jonnyphive and Luhkoh like this.
  14. Luhkoh

Lol understandable. I was just responding to some of the other stuff, whereas my matriarch pre-reset resembled yours a ton. Keep em coming :)

ioupainmax likes this.
  15. zemaj

zemaj Diabloii.Net Member

Woot! Fishyzon! One of my favorite builds.

Re: ridiculous gear
    I would actually posit that a betaCTA in a +3 GMB would trump an 'Ice'. The extra +1 all skills and slightly higher %ED leverages it in functionality, and higher level BO is just a no brainer. Frost Nova proc is cool and all, but w/o synergies, is pretty much just a light show. A proper FA zon, who put more focus on increasing cold damage (Nightwing's, Mav's gloves, facets, etc) will make much better use of 'Ice'. Or, a thought I have had before, a ranger sorc that fully synergizes FN... still haven't gotten around to testing that yet, though.

All that said, you don't NEED any of that to make a Fishyzon work, and work well... there is a difference between effective and efficient. Effective just needs the bare bones to make it not an entire slog to playthrough... my first Fishyzon used an Archer's Reflex Bow of Flame (ShaelShael) to excellent effect, playthrough was never boring or grindy. My current Fishyzon MFer uses a (non beta)CtA in a +3 Mat Bow, as I have found that to be most efficient, after crunching some numbers. The difference may seem small, but is quite significant... you don't NEED any of the fancy flashy bs to have fun playing the game, but if you want to do something competitive, that's when all that comes into play. It isn't necessary for anything, other than making a post about how awesome your XYZ-runner is... or seriously hunting Tyreal's in anything resembling a rational timeframe...

EDIT: as a point of interest, that first Fishyzon also used the javs she started the game with, and a Moser's(2xPDiamond) for LF switch... so no particular need for ethTitan's or +35%fcr 'Spirit' Monarch, either.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  16. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Congratulations for over 10 years ago :)

Fishyzon was really a 1.11 / 1.12 build. Once you can slap Infinity on the merc, the FA becomes irrelevant.

I wonder if anyone still uses theirs?

ioupainmax likes this.
  17. ioupainmax

I don't play this character anymore but I also haven't got Infinity - LK running makes my eyes glaze over and I haven't had too much luck with random rune finding/ I play really sporadically.

18. Luhkoh

@maxicek I know @zemaj used one in that worldstone king tourney. That's where I first heard of the cta bow. I guess it's nice for that one type of unbreakable LI mage, but prob still not as good overall as plain java.

19. zemaj

zemaj Diabloii.Net Member

*raises hand*

Depends... if you have the equipment to get 99%fcr or better, I'd say a LF zon with a tele switch would be better for MF, from an efficiency point of view. As I didn't at the time of that tourney, I tried Fishyzon and found her to be very effective, and quite fun since I didn't have to worry too much about leaving some nasty pack I couldn't take out behind me, though truly I almost never retreated. I do still run her, pretty much anytime I want to do WSK runs, where she really is quite phenomenal.

Luhkoh likes this.