Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Matriarch Dragoness--Fendazon

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Alfonso the Great, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Alfonso the Great

Alfonso the Great IncGamers Member

Matriarch Dragoness--Fendazon

After over a year (though about eleven months of that time saw DII not installed), I finally trudged Dragoness the Fendazon through Hell and destroyed the festering evil that is Baal. Oh, what a trip it was.

Character name : Dragoness
    Character type : Amazon
    Character level : 82
    Character exp : 814763107

Strength : 111
    Energy : 15
    Dexterity : 139
    Vitality : 195
    Stat Points Rem : 40
    Skill Points Rem: 0

Life : 953 / 797
    Mana : 182 / 136
    Stamina : 366 / 340

Gold (Inventory): 74481
    Gold (Stash) : 124712

Resists with Stoneraven: 85/51/54/70
    with Titan's/Rhyme: 85/38/41/57

Equipment and Interesting Slices of the Inventory

Helmet: Rare Circlet (+18 to Energy, +99% Enhanced Defense, +4 to Minimum Damage, Damage Reduced by 2, Poison Resist +35%, +1 to Amazon Skill Levels)
    Amulet: Rare Ammy (Magic Damage Reduced by 1, Lightning Resist +14%, Poison Resist +6%, +1 to Amazon Skill Levels, 10% Chance to cast Level 3 Charged Bolt when struck)
    Weapon 1: Stoneraven
    Weapon 2: Titan's Revenge
    Shield: Rhyme Bone Shield
    Armor: Duriel's Shell
    Belt: Thundergod's Vigor
    Ring 1: Rare Ring (+4 to Energy, +43 to Attack Rating, Fire Resist +26%, Lightning Resist +23%, +5 to Light Radius, 5% Bonus to Attack Rating)
    Ring 2: Rare Ring (+6 to Maximum Stamina, +10 to Attack Rating, +9 to Minimum Damage, Poison Resist +30%, 4% Mana stolen per hit, 38% Extra Gold from Monsters)
    Gloves: Laying of Hands
    Boots: Infernostride

Merc's Equipment (Act 2 Might): Rockstopper, Rockfleece, The Meat Scraper/Kelpie's Snare, mainly depending on if big melee hitters are about.

Charms consisted of two each of Passive/Magic and Spear/Javelin skillers and assorted other resist charms, with those leaning mostly towards cold.

Normal and Nightmare up through Act 5 were done on /p8, with Act 5 done on /p4, and then Hell done /p1. The only items originally twinked onto the character were Titan's (found while normally playing the game with a LightningOrb Sorceress), and I decided I'd try a quirky Amazon build--enter Fend. Originally, I wanted to avoid using LF, despite this having been my first Amazon, but I didn't pay enough attention to the skill tree, misclicked, and by that time I was well into Nightmare and didn't feel like making another 'Zon. So, now she had become a Fend/LF hybrid, who mainly used LF for MASSIVE crowd control (Flayer Jungle-level hordes, although my Hell run through there provided lots of Winged Nightmares and Soul Killers) and PI mobs, Fend for most mobs and LI critters, LB for PI uniques, and Jab to replenish the blue orb. Anyway, the killing got unbelievably slow in Act 1 Hell, so I tossed Stoneraven on as well as three skillers (I'd gotten one of the Passive/Magic ones myself through gem rerolls) and that did just fine for the rest of the game.

So, skills:
    7 Critical Strike
    20 Penetrate
    4 Jab
    1 Impale
    20 Fend
    1 Poison Javelin
    17 Lightning Bolt
    1 Plague Javelin
    20 Lightning Fury

Started off putting skill points into Jab and Critical Strike, then saved up for Fend (maxed by A5 Normal) and Penetrate, which I maxed mid-Nightmare. Then the dreadful misclick onto Poison Javelin, and maxed LF by A5 Nightmare. All remaining skill points went into Lightning Bolt because the mana ball was simply not large enough to provide for LF-killing of Hell PI uniques without running back to town after 5 tosses to guzzle millions of blue potions.

Dragoness absolutely devastated up through A5 NM. Fend dealt broken damage; even act bosses fell like flies before the massive damage bonus coupled with Kelpie's Snare. Once the guest critters showed, though, the kill speed noticeably slowed and I downed the rating, which worked just fine. The first massive roadblock was in Hell Black Marsh, which saw me unable to kill at any decent speed. I went back to NM, did some cow runs, leveled into the 70s, and managed to snag Laying of Hands from a Baal run. I then muled Stoneraven onto her because it looked like a fun weapon to use.

With the mild exception of the Council (Heirophants spawned inside the room leading to the Durance, so Blizzards were raining down upon us the whole time), things were easy-peasy until the Chaos Sanctuary, which saw the return of the dreaded Oblivion Knights. In that past, not that huge an issue; I'd Fend like a madwoman and kill everything while Amp'd or Lower Resist'd. If IM'd, I chucked javelins at the offenders. Now, however, I needed two or more Fend cycles to take down the Doom Knights, and the OKs found it simply hilarious to cast IM exactly when I was in the middle of one of them. GG try again.

Then we have Act 5. The biggest offenders were Frenzytaurs, naturally; they'd knock down my health faster than a super healing potion could replenish it, and the merc couldn't stand very long against more than one of them. To top it all off, the PI varieties roamed the icy parts of the act with a vengeance, which necessitated slow (slooooow) advancement and killing through Lightning Bolt and Fury. Gloams were annoyances, as usual, but Thundergod's coupled with reasonably high lightning resist let me weave my way towards packs of them, where Fend did its work. I did, however, bite it in the Frozen River right at the end when I went to fetch Anya; four of the monsters were camped on Frozenstein's turf and that plus the bridge...yeah. It was hell getting back to my corpses.

The only other major roadblock was the Ancients; Talic would kill my merc no problem, whereas Madawac always seemed to spawn Cursed and thereby tore me apart. Eventually (after many, many attempts and the loss of most of my money and rejuvenation potions), I managed to get a non-Cursed spawn and positioned the three of them so that Korlic and Talic were wailing on me while Madawac threw axes ineffectually against my mercenary. Then it was a Fendfest until victory. Baal was a moderate pain; he always threw up a clone and hordes of tentacles first thing, but my good fire resist let me mostly ignore his spells and Fend the heck out of everything surrounding me. Eventually, Baal teleported into a corner where only my merc could be targeted by him in melee and one hit with Kelpie's Snare took care of that threat. The victory prizes: a huge bunch of worthless yellows and Isenhart's Horns. Hell Baal hates me.

And that's that. Now it's back to my Leap Attack barbarian.

2. friedbananazzzz

friedbananazzzz IncGamers Member

Re: Matriarch Dragoness--Fendazon

Looks good! Any decent screenies? What were your damage numbers?

3. Alfonso the Great

Alfonso the Great IncGamers Member

I can't believe I forgot damage! Here we are:

With Stoneraven:
    Jab--928-1375
    Fend--1669-2405

With Titan's:
    Throw--354-760
    Jab--369-633
    Fend--636-1084
    Lightning Bolt--199-1414
    Lightning Fury--354-760+1-1278

As for screenies, I only took one that really stood out, and it is utterly useless to any characters I might ever want to build.

4. Tanksaabas

Tanksaabas IncGamers Member

Fendazons are rather rare , actually this is the first one I have seen (though have heard of them). Always though spearzons were underpowerd but by reading this the trip through hell doesen't seem very bad.

Oh and congratz on the mat :)

5. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

Congrats! Investing in a Decoy might have helped your cause a little bit. In any case, good luck with that Leap Attacker!