Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Matriarch ColdWinter

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Silver Moon, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Silver Moon

Silver Moon Diabloii.Net Member

Introduction: This is my first character in ten years and also the first time I have ever beaten hell mode in single player. She changed skill trees many times during her adventure and finally settled on a pure blizzard build. Although I will be starting another character, she will be continued to be used in the future for finding items from Meph and ancient tunnels. Right now she sits at level 84 and has yet to attempt hell cows.

Items:

Weapon: Razorswitch Io Staff
    Helm: Harlequin Crest Shako (socketed with a perfect topaz)
    Armour: Skin of the Vipermagi
    Gloves: Frostburn Gauntlets
    Boots: War Travellers (48% magic find)
    Amulet: Glacial Amulet (+3 cold skills)
    Belt: Snowclash Battle Belt
    Ring: Scintillating Ring (+15 resists)
    Ring: Chaos turn rings (+10% fire, ice, poison and +31% lightning resist + others)
    Switch: Suicide Branch (For faster teleporting) and a terrible shield (hope to replace)

Merc:
    Weapon: Viperfork Mancatcher
    Armour: Bramble Pelt Loricated Mail (1213 defence)
    Helm: Tal'rasha Horadric Crest

Stats:
    (With Gear)
    Strength: 107
    Dexterity: 27
    Vitality: 352
    Energy: 42
    Life: 1,090
    Mana: 666 (Diablo approves :p)
    Stamina: 498
    Defence: 687 (Fallen have a 68% chance to hit me)
    Resistances (in Hell): 50 Fire, 50 Cold, 75 Lightning, 50 Poison)

Skills:
    Blizzard: 20 (29)
    Glacial Spike: 20 (30)
    Ice Blast: 20 (27)
    Frost Nova: 1 (8)
    Cold Mastery: 12 (16)
    Ice Bolt: 20 (24)
    Chilling Armour: 0 (2)
    Telekinesis: 1 (5)
    Teleport: 1 (5)
    Warmth: 1 (5)

LCS Damage:
    Blizzard: 3903-4118
    Glacial Spike: 1012-1073

Adventure:
    Normal went fairly well on the /players 8 setting for this sorceress. She started off using fireball and meteor and found the damage was quite good through all of the five acts. In nightmare she wanted to try something different so she became a meteor and frozen orb sorceress. Nightmare was fun and was played with /players 8 most of the time (some of the bosses were a challenge). She didn't really get much luck for good items dropping in normal and nightmare. She built a 'Leaf' runeword staff quite early on and used that for a good chunk of the time. A peasant crown dropped at one point which she also used for a considerable amount of time. Other than that she was carrying around quite a bit of junk, but it got her through :D. Hell was only played on normal settings (/Players 1) and had quite a few challenges for her. She could deal great damage to anyone who wasn't fire immune (her frozen orb damage not the best) her only problem is that she had such poor resistances and died quite easily. Some parts were easily done and a lot of parts were quite difficult. Her teleporting skills got her into a lot of trouble and she ended up using the skill very poorly and getting herself into much trouble. The best drop she have found so far was the Shako, which came from Meph. None of the Hellforge drops were significant, but she did find an Ist (highest I've ever found) from a chest in Durance level 3 while doing Meph runs. She got most of the things she's wearing from questing, but a few things came from Meph directly. After defeating Baal, she became a pure blizzard sorceress and that is the way she would like to stay. Overall she had a great play through filled with hilarious deaths and lots of meteor showers. She will be the designated magic finder for the future to come. One last notable thing she found (my first picture upload, I hope it works):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's a low Gheeds, but I was happy to see it. I apologize for the extra white border around it; I'm not very good at these kinds of things.

Last Words:
    It was a great first character to play through. I am not sure what I will play next, so I am open to ideas. Thanks for reading and leave any comments or advice for me to read if you have the time :D.

Grape likes this.
  2. mir

mir Diabloii.Net Member

Gratz on the mat!

Blizz sorc are indeed great for mf, try to get a map with both andy and meph near the waypoints and then you can run them both + pindle so you won't get bored (getting lots of rares is a good motivation :))

I'd suggest trying poison necro next, no need for elite gear, another great mf char for the future, allow aggresive play style.

Good luck with future chars.

Silver Moon likes this.
  3. Timinator

Timinator Diabloii.Net Member

Congrats, you never forget your first! May there be many more.

4. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Congrats, well done :). Also congrats on getting a Shako so soon in your mf career. I had the same thing happening to my SC Blizz Sorc, but still haven't found it in HC ...

One question. Didn't you have 1 point in Static Field? Or did you forgot to mention it in your skills list? If you don't have it, I would advice on getting it, it's awesome. My usual routine for areas and bosses would be to teleport in so I was within Static Field range, cast Blizzard and then spam Static a couple of times. This greatly speeds things up.

As mir says, try to get that perfect map on Mephisto: exit to Durance 3 only one left turn from the waypoint. It should't take too long to roll such a map, although it might take a while if you also want a good Andariel map to go with it. For higher end stuff, focus on Pindle or AT. I mainly did Pindle with my SC sorc and had some good luck with that (most notably Death's Web, quite early on), but focused on AT with my HC sorc. I found the latter to be much more fun, but ymmv.

Good luck with ColdWinter, and with any future characters you'll make. Poison Necro is a very good suggestion. Not too item dependant to get it rolling, very fun to play, and if you choose to focus on him, he can become a very powerful character to hunt for runes and items. Trapper Assassins or Dancers (a Trapper / kicking hybrid) is also one of my favourites. There are many other fun and strong characters, but I would let those depend on your drops. Or at least that's what I often do.

Edit: o yes, if you use GoMule, I think you can do a readout of your character: stats, skills, ... maybe even all gear at once. I have seen people post it like that, but I don't know how it works. I just thought I'd mention it here though, as it can save you a lot of work.

Silver Moon likes this.
  5. Silver Moon

Silver Moon Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks everyone!

I don't actually have a point in static field haha :oops: but I am starting to think that would be a good idea. I will level up to get it since I have used all my akara resets. I managed to roll a good Meph map, the Andy one isn't great, but i'm not too worried. Pindle will be done a bit (he is so easy to get to :p) and AT will be my main gold mine. Thanks for all the advice. I really do like assassins, so perhaps I will try that next. A necro is on my to-do list aswell. I will figure out the gomule print out for next time, as you can see I can barely get pictures to work haha! Right on guys, i'll be starting a new character after work.

6. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Don't forget that if you are looking for uniques and sets, you want to do Pindle and AT on /p1, and only kill the bosses for max efficiency. With Blizzard you kill the whole pack most of the time anyway, but just saying. If you also want a better shot at good runes, it's better to increase the player setting. But the most important thing in terms of efficiency is always to kill fast.

O yes, and get your merc an Insight for more spamming fun :).

Silver Moon likes this.
  7. Grape

Grape Diabloii.Net Member

Well done! Grats!

Stick to the AT and maybe Pindle if you want to get some of the most rare items in the long run. Meph is also good if you want some basic items for your other chars faster :)