Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Matriarch Camilla, lvl 78 Zealing Fanatic Titan Berserkeress

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by BlizzBallerSorc, Dec 23, 2014.

1. BlizzBallerSorc

BlizzBallerSorc IncGamers Member

I actually matted this character a while back but I haven't had as much time to post. Another novelty melee sorc. This character was inspired by NagisaFurukawa's Titan Berserkeress Matriarch Shion.

Camilla Lvl 78 Sorceress

Damage with Enchant prebuff
    Berserk Damage: 9794-15k @ 9 fps (2.77 Attacks Per Second)
    Zeal Damage: 9936-14k @ 6/7/7/7/11 fps (3.28 Attacks Per Second)

Screenie of LCS (without Enchant pre-buff)

Stats: (Naked / Gear)

Strength: 395 / 422
    Dexterity: 40 / 57
    Vitality: 10 / 10
    Energy: 35 / 35
    Life: 1262 after BO
    AR: 3219 Zeal / 3714 Berserk
    Resists: 75/33/80/33

Skills:
    Enchant 20
    Warmth 20
    Fire Mastery 20
    Teleport 1
    Prerequisites 1
    Remaining points in Shiver Armor and Static Field
    Gear:
    Amulet: Highlord's Wrath
    Helm: Kira's w. IAS Jewel
    Weapon: "Passion" in 1.07 Eth Glorious Axe - Screenie, Readout:
    Code:
    Passion
    Glorious Axe
    DolOrtEldLem
    Two Hand Damage: 278 - 667
    Indestructible
    Required Level: 66
    Required Strength: 154
    Required Dexterity: 45
    Item Level: 87
    Version: Expansion
    +25% Increased Attack Speed
    209% Enhanced Damage
    50% Enhanced Maximum Damage
    50% Bonus to Attack Rating
    +75% Damage to Undead
    +50 to Attack Rating against Undead
    Adds 1 - 50 Lightning Damage
    +1 to Berserk
    +1 to Zeal
    Hit Blinds Target +10
    Hit Causes Monster to Flee 25%
    75% Extra Gold from Monsters
    Level 3 Heart of Wolverine (12/12 Charges)
    Ethereal

Switch: Spirit + Call to Arms
    Armor: Fortitude
    Rings: RavenFrost + Rare
    Gloves: Dracul's Grasp
    Boots: Aldur's Advance

Merc - Oriano - Ice Rogue
    Helm: Vampire Gaze
    Amor: Ebugged Eth Treachery Wire Fleece
    Weapon: "Faith" Great Bow

Notes:

Although this write up won't be as thorough as my past ones, I really enjoyed this character. I ran across a Passion Thunder Maul in the Mat threads a couple of times (IIRC NagisaF and maareek used one) and it inspired me to explore this RW a bit. I ended up settling on a 1.07 eth base from nulio, and ATMA bugging it with Oath. Then Gripphon threw in a lot of throwaway runes on a trade so I could reroll Passion enough times to get a near perfect roll on damage. I ended up settling at a 209% roll, and thus I had the base for the character.

I then managed to put together the "Faith" runeword, and while it perhaps wasn't the ideal choice (there are few ideal choices with this character) I went with the Rogue merc. It was my first time using the merc, and she performed very well, giving my character the Fanatacism aura a lightning-fast attack speed--at least fast for a melee sorc.

I settled on the Titan build mostly for the extra damage and a fun challenge. I've found that a Titan character is really only as good as his/her charms, and mine were lacking a bit, but I still managed to get some decent life. I think the main thing that suffered was the attack rating: usually I use my charms to boost the AR up on my melee characters, but I needed life charms so badly that I had to settle with the AR boost from Enchant, Zeal/Berserk, and the Fanaticism aura. AR still looked low on the LCS, but I didn't notice it during gameplay.

My character was fairly sturdy throughout. I think I actually made it to Act II or III of Hell before dying at all. I was playing cautiously, so I didn't have very many deaths. Although I really enjoyed the fast attack speed from the Fanaticism aura, I think this character wouldn't have gotten in nearly as many sticky situations if she had used an Act II merc. She was mobbed much more quickly than my other characters. The risky places for Camilla weren't the usual ones: I actually found the Arcane Sanctuary rough. Getting surrounded by a ton of wraiths is rough because they are physical immune and Berserk doesn't leech, so the life bulb can go down fast, even though wraiths have typically been harmless for my other characters. When leeching, Dracul's grasp was really nice for safety, and probably helped this character a lot more than I realized.

Berserk is a really cool skill, and it hits very, very hard due to the low resists of Monsters. The only problem was no life leech, which is very nice to have. Interestingly enough, I ended up using Berserk more than I thought dude to the game throwing an uncanny amount of physical/fire immunes at me. I'm fairly certain even Lister was phys/fire immune, but here are a few examples. Most of the scarier ones I didn't manage to get a screenshot of for obvious reasons:
    Infector of Souls
    Boss 1
    Boss 2

The most bizarre part of this character was that she made Mat at 78. The earliest I've done previously was 81 or so, and I was expecting the opposite with this character: because she was a Titan, I was thinking the bigger challenge would mean taking longer and thus ending up finishing the game at a higher level, e.g. 83-85. She whizzed through Hell pretty easily, though, and thus the early Pat I guess. Otherwise, I did things the same as I always have: Normal and NM at players 8 and Hell at players 1-3. I suppose I'm just becoming a bit more efficient in my questing.

No crazy drops that I remember, but overall a fun character, and I really enjoyed the different feel of game play. I didn't think an Act 1 merc would change it that much, but it did.

Next, I think I'm going to try to Pat an untwinked HC barb. I just made pat with my SC barb @ level 77 (cookie-cutter frenzy barb), and I'm thinking some sort of barb would be doable in HC. Maybe WW barb with a shield?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
    GooberGrape likes this.
  2. SunsetVista

SunsetVista IncGamers Member

Congrats! What about the chance to flee on Passion, did that cause problems at all?

3. BlizzBallerSorc

It actually didn't bother me. I once inadverdently tried a weapon with knock back on a Zealot and that was infuriating. The chance to flee was much milder, and this character was brittle enough that I didn't mind it too much when it did trigger.

If I were using, say, a Passion phaseblade on a sturdier Enchantress just for the purpose of a quick attack, I'm sure it would be frustrating.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  4. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

Cool mat. Making homage to one of the coolest mats ever, with some added unique flair; very nice.

WW would definitely be my go-to advice for an untwinked barb, and Rhyme is easy to make and gives a boatload of helpful mods as a shield. Personally I'd switch to dual wielding when I got a good second weapon (actually this is a lie, I'd always dual wield and have a shield on switch just in case, but I'm crazy) but there's no issues with finishing the game as a weapon/shield WWer. Use your war cries (including the eponymous one which, though I tend to ignore it, is actually very powerful) and things should be manageable pretty much no matter what you choose/find.

Certainly BBS may have had a different experience, but I'll butt in to quote an insane man who used a weaker Passion quite a bit:

If you put your Passion in a big 2-hander, things don't run away, they fall down. If you put it in a 1-hander, the weapon will trigger it's chance to cast Terrible, Terrible Rage and your computer will end up defenestrated into a roadway.

BlizzBallerSorc and SunsetVista like this.
  5. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

Cool build, nice touch doing it with a real weapon instead of the faerie sticks people insist on using. For the barb build, I would do a 2H Zerker and get really good at Howl and Taunt. Defense is overrated.

BlizzBallerSorc likes this.
  6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I understand that the character has a few self-imposed limitations, but you haven't put any points into fire mastery? No teleport as well? The latter might be less unreasonable, however :)

7. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

Well that's one hell of a different build, congrats!!!

8. BlizzBallerSorc

Thanks for the input regarding the prospective barb, everyone. Some great ideas here.
    Woops! Just a typo. I've edited it; 20 in FM and 1 in Teleport.

9. BlizzBallerSorc

And maareek's quote is on point: most monsters dropped pretty darn fast, so they didn't get much chance to run.

10. BlizzBallerSorc

And maareek's quote is on point: most monsters dropped pretty darn fast, so they didn't get much chance to run.

11. Zylo

Zylo IncGamers Member

maareek's quote so nice, ya gotta post it twice. ;)

Very cool build, and excellent write-up as always. Keep 'em coming.

BlizzBallerSorc likes this.
  12. Jocular

Jocular IncGamers Member

Damn fine write up.

Are you excited for the new Twin Peaks season? I know I am!

13. BlizzBallerSorc

Woops, double post!
    And yes--looking forward to Twin Peaks but trying not to get my hopes up too much. I wasn't as much a fan of Fire Walk with Me, so I'm hoping this has more the flavor of the original. Sometimes when Lynch gets too much freedom his stuff goes a bit haywire.