Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Matriarch BaalBusterIII: yes, the other Baal runner. ifra

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by sirpoopsalot, May 8, 2008.

1. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Matriarch BaalBusterIII: yes, the other Baal runner.

I've been too long winded lately, so I'll try to be more kind this time and wrap things up a little quicker...

Brief History:
    BaalBusterI = IK/WW/'zerker barb = killed things too slowly (by far) = fail.

BaalBusterII = Fishyzon = success, but there's a few things I don't entirely like about her:
    - requires weapon switch for different attacking weapons (javelin & bow), leaving no room for a CtA (and I like using my CtA).
    - remembering to pick up (or purchase) arrows sucks. I always seem to run out or have a backpack full of 3 stacks - never in between.
    - her mana's too low for continued FA-spammage, even with an Insight merc
    - she's not as mobile as I'd like (and/or lacks monster-manipulation skills) for someone that has to face Gloams often.
    - ditto for what OK's can (and will) do to her merc before she has time to do anything about it.
    - a 'tough' monster spawn really, really, really seems to slow her down (not that she's lightning-fast against a good spawn)... ok, since she relies on LF, she probably does qualify as lightning-fast :tongue:... I think it's because...
    - her attack is a little slow, so she spends a lot of time on defense as well as offense.

... I realize most of those are relatively minor or can be combated a little, but the fact is that I don't find her that fun to play. And, if it's not fun, why do it?

So, I set out to design a Baal runner that I find fun, and Genraek's recent thread about favourite builds made me rethink how I was approaching this problem. Since I like 200 FCR sorcs, why not see if I can use one for this task that's never yet been an 'appealing' challenge to me. Also, a little originality never hurt anybody. Hence:

Matriarch BaalBusterIII
    level82 (and climbing fast)
    Life: 1421
    Mana: 1133
    Resists: 75 all

Skills:
    20 Nova (+10 skills)
    20 LM
    20 Fireball (+12 skills)
    20 Firebolt
    1 Enchant, Teleport, Static, prereq's
    remaining points will go into FM

Magic Find: 218 (a little low, but that's dictated by...
    200 FCR = 7-frame spell spammage (read: fun & fast)
    Nova Damage: 1135 - 1531
    Fireball Damage: 4022 - 4412 (and rising)

Gear:
    Wizardspike (26 FireResist, 10 MF jewel)
    Spirit Monarch (35 FCR)
    Vipermagi (50 Resists)
    Griffon's Eye (16/20, with facet)
    crafted Caster amulet (+1 sorc, 20 FCR, stuff)
    2x SoJ
    Magefists
    Arachnid's
    Wartrav's (49%)

Switch: beta-CtA + Spirit

2x Fire skillers
    1x Light skiller
    Gheed's
    1x FHR SC
    17x 7% MF sc's

Merc:
    Prayer mercenary
    eth Insight CA
    Tal's Helm (IAS jewel)
    Guardian Angel (Ambergris Jewel of Strength: 30/6)

<-- might switch to my new Fortitude, and might swap the helm to a VampGaze too. And yes, a he's Prayer mercenary. I love him despite his "not tanking for :censored:" abilities.

Finds:
    Fal/Lum Hellforge
    +5/-3 Poison Facet
    ... jack all elsewise ...

Notes:
    1. My lightning damage is enough for "forced-into-continuous-hit-recovery" for most monsters, so I get to simply teleport onto many packs and spam Nova to watch large numbers of monsters die quickly. This works perfectly for: Flayers, Succubi, Ghosts, Serpents, OK's and Abyss Knights, those annoying teleporting witches, and just about any non-lightning Immune. The ones that it doesn't work for are: Lister's pack, Pit Lords, and Frenzytaurs.

2. And when the monsters are still dangerous, my 7 frames casting speed is often fast enough that I can see a monster start to swing an attack and I still have time to teleport away before he hits.

3. ~4k Fireball (at 7 frames) is enough to wipe out those pesky Gloams fast. It also does quick work of Blood Lords. This damage should break 5k before I'm done too.

4. Fanaticism, Conviction, Cursed, and Lister are still the biggest remaining problems. A little prudence is still necessary, afterall, but... see point #2. Baal could be a little faster after Static, but he's not too bad (Fireball is used for the finisher).

5. With the merc's auras and my high mana, I can out-regenerate my casting speeds for all except Nova (and it takes twice as long to drain my bulb while spamming Nova as it does to refill it by not casting spells). Manaburn isn't an issue because I can teleport again by the time I realized I've been hit.

6. I forgot about the +10 Strength on Wartrav's - I should probably rebuild her because her stats aren't optimized. :rolleyes:

7. Results: Oh yeah, much better. :smiley: I don't foresee a BaalBusterIV on the horizon. Yet.

Questions, comments or spam?

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  2. scottee

scottee IncGamers Member

Re: Matriarch BaalBusterIII: yes, the other Baal runner.

Sure, I love spam! Yummy pork-byproduct!

3. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam.

Not optimized. Self-destruct in 5.

Editing's lame. 210 MF. 218 MF. Same difference. Small text is lame. That's all I could find. Lucky you.

~~~

Gaze needs Ort/LR Jewel for 80 LR with Fort at current level.

Was going to recommend different gear, but you need Wizzy for the mana. =X.

Well done. Sounds fun.

4. sirpoopsalot

Barely. I made level83, and with the +29 from Fort, he's at 79 lightning resistance. That's close enough that I'll socket something else in the Gaze (probably IAS - need to double-check the weapon speed calc). I'm off to double-check and try it out...

... and resistances... and FCR (which enables even more mana from the 2nd SoJ... and the 2nd SoJ helps make up for the lack of skills on the weapon (a little)... To me, Wizzy's the best weapon for a resistance-needing, mana-needing, 200 FCR sorc - which is exactly what this build is. HotO, Eschuta's or whatever...

Wizzy simply can't be beat.

BTW, I found The Gladiator's Bane on the first run after making the thread. I think that supplants my facet as my best WSK/Baal find ever :p (at least in the 'useful' department, though I suspect the Templar's Might could qualify as "best").

5. TedDeeBoy

TedDeeBoy IncGamers Member

Congrats, may she turn Baal and his festering appendages into spam. Add Infinity for further damage and maybe more fun although potting may be annoying. She sounds like a fun char
    /spam

6. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

Didn't say so earlier for some odd reason... Congrats!

Forgot that Fortitude had 20-30 resist all. Whoooops. Since your merc doesn't get IAS elsewhere, a jewel would probably net him a frame or two.

Anyway, I see your point on the Wizardspike. Originally, I thought about the possibility of using a HotO, 2/20 circlet, 2/15+ amulet, and FCR ring. You'd get *slightly* better damage while maintaining those high resists. The problem was that your mana got shortchanged big time. Not good at all.

Do you think a 200 FCR sorc could cut it with only a couple (maybe 5) + skills? Doesn't seem like it'd be a problem, but you mentioned something about having enough damage to force recovery. o_O.

7. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Congrats on the Matriach sirpoops, and GL with Baal.

8. RIP

RIP IncGamers Member

Congrats on the Mat, Sir_P :thumbsup:

May i ask You about Your experience with Your BaalBuster 1, IK Whirl/Zerker?I mean any tips, sugestions for faster/safer running?

Reasons:Im already in MF Penthatlon tourney, running (surprisingly :rolleyes:) with my lvl 94 IK Barb and i NEVER ran Ball + minions before, so Your ideas wiil be more than welcomed :flowers:Thanks...

9. Swiller

Swiller IncGamers Member

Characters like this make me miss the days when Lightning Mastery decreased the amount of mana your spells require. :tongue:

Congratulations on yet another Baal buster! Good luck with her. :thumbsup:

10. maxgerin

maxgerin IncGamers Member

You know, constantly hearing about 200FCR Sorcs make me want to try one.

Maybe I should. :smiley:

Think of any way to improve the build some more?

Gratz on the Mat! :thumbsup:

--maxgerin

11. Uncle_Mike

Uncle_Mike D2 PvP Moderator

Ysogreen Poop?

12. sirpoopsalot

Thanks for the "congrats" everyone!

If you like sorcs, you'll LOVE 200 fcr for PvM stuff (I don't PvP enough to judge there). It may only be ~15% faster, but it often feels like it's 280% faster.

To me, the forced-hit-recovery is the secret of making a safe Nova sorc. Right now, with my +10 skills and the -20% from Griffon's, I'd say my damage is barely enough to do this - but the 4th and 5th waves can be a real problem sometimes because of their high life and my inability to force hit recovery (I'm thinking of adding a wand with LR charges to my repetoire). I've toyed with the idea of dropping 3 of my MF charms for just one more skiller, since I think that would be slightly better (currently a low-damage roll sometimes isn't enough for a few monsters like OK's) but I'm not sure if I'll do it yet... I wanted to stay above 200 MF, and the only way to do that would be to resocket my Griffon's :p.

In other words, the build itself could get by with 200 FCR and +5 skills, but I wouldn't want to do WSK runs because the average monster life is probably just a little too high. I'm guessing you'd do very well until about the Durance in Act3, then the higher monster life will start to work against you.

Edit: wrong double-response.
    I'll respond to RIP in a second...

Edit2:
    The only real problem I had with him is his killing speed. He's sturdy and safe, and can tackle almost anything with ease. It's just that he's not very fast doing it. Since you play HC, you'll definitely want to use your crowd-control warcries (taunt is a personal favourite of mine).

I suspect the slower speed of an IK barb in the WSK has to do with their damage... they have a plethora of damage types, but none of them is really dominant. So, there's a little bit of cold, a little bit of fire, a little bit of lightning, etc. Adding it all up, the damage looks quite impressive... but in the WSK, monsters have good resistances and high life, so that little bit of fire damage becomes a tiny bit of fire damage. Same for cold. Same for lightning.

Last edited: May 8, 2008