Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Matriarch Arvien, Meteorb Sorc

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Baltha, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Baltha

Baltha Diabloii.Net Member

Matriarch Arvien, Meteorb Sorc

This is my first Matriarch in my recent restart after a long hiatus of more than two years. I want a sorc as versatile as posible so I could run anything fast. Ofc, she was going to go untwinked, so she must be strong with almost no equipment. So Arvien, your typical Sasja's meteorb sorc was born...

[​IMG]

Matriarch Arvien, clvl 83 Meteorb Sorc

Stats:
    Strength: 95 (97)
    Dexterity: 157 (159)
    Vitality: 218 (240)
    Energy: 35 (57)

Life: 806, Block 75%
    Resist Hell: Fire 75, Cold 71, Lightning 75, Poison 25

Skills:
    Warmth: 1 (10)
    Fireball: 20 (29)
    Meteor: 20 (29)
    Fire Mastery: 13* (22)

Frozen Orb: 20 (29)
    Cold Mastery: 8 (22)

Static Field: 1 (9)
    Teleport: 1 (9)

No surprises here. She was a pure Blizzard sorc until Hell, though.

Equipment
    Weapon: The Occulus
    Shield: Whistan's Guard (P. Diamond)
    Helm: Harlequin's Crest
    Armor: Skin of the Vipermagi
    Belt: Arachnid Mesh
    Gloves: Frostburn
    Boots: Natalya's Soul
    Amulet: The Eye of Etlich
    Rings: rares with resistances

My inventory was almost full of resist charms, some life charms and two skillers (one chilling and one burning). I got those on my LK Runs, and the rest of my equipment from NM/Hell Meph.

I have a lot of room to improve the equipment (notably ammy and rings), but I'm quite happy with it. I really like the 800+ life, 75% block and 75% resist fire & lightning. She was quite durable and dies very rarely.

Merc
    I chose Act 2 Might, but I think Holy Freeze would work better. He was using Insight Cryptic Axe, Um'd Shaftstop and Delirium Crown when questing. Worked reasonably well. When I was doing Mephiruns, the most stable combination probed to be The Reaper's Toll, Shafstop and Rockstoper.

Thoughts
    As I said before, I started her as a pure Blizzard sorc to run NM Mephisto fast. When I was done with him, I respec her to a Meteorb to handle immunes.

Normal and Nightmare were easy indeed, even untwinked. Sorcs are my all-time favourite chars and I know how to do it well. I used every topaz I could found to MF while questing. Then I stoped at Mephi and started some serious run. I almost never used the moat trick. I hate it, and is a waste of time. So I forced myself to constantly tweaking my merc in order to survive.

Hell was a bit harder, specially Act 2. I had some difficult moments in the temple of the Viperclaw. And, for whatever reasons, the tomb of tal rasha. Act 3 was far more easy, except Travincal. I stop at Mephi again to get all that fancy stuff. I have been doing LK runs too, with some nice surprises.

I don't remember my drops of the HF, but it was some crap like Io or something like that. Chaos Sanctuary was easier than I expect now that Iron Maiden is gone.

I tried to go too fast in Act 5, and got in to some dire situations in the Frozen River. Everytime I think I have nice equipment and good personal skill to quest faster I almost get killed. Rutine and trying to run too much is what get me killed most of the time.

The fight with the Ancients were a bit slow because they killed my merc quite fast. I had to run in circles orbing the axe-thrower and the wwer to death. Then, just tank (yes! I was able to tank him with ease!) the frogbarb and meteor him to obliteration.

WSK was just doable, but I think I won't be able to MF run there for a while. Bartuc and his friends were a bit nasty, since their hydras were able to kill my merc with ease. Lister was dual immune, and I decided to park him.

Baal himself was easy as expected... and drop me a grailer: natalya's shadow.

So that's that! I hope you find it entertaning. I apologize for all the mistakes I made, english is not my native lenguage!

2. Dodgydave

Dodgydave Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Matriarch Arvien, Meteorb Sorc

Ah, a MeteOrb. Great to see the old girl is still going strong!

3. sylecn

sylecn Diabloii.Net Member

Wow, that's great gear for a untwinked restart.

Arachnid Mesh
    Delirium
    Um'd Shaftstop
    Harlequin's Crest
    The Occulus
    Skin of the Vipermagi

You must have done some serious LK runs and Meph runs. Congratulations on the mat.

btw I prefer FO/FireBall over Meteorb when running WSK/Baal.

4. Arkardo

Arkardo Diabloii.Net Member

Congratulations! Nice to see a blocking sorc for a change. How do you feel it afffects her performance?

Also, I think I would have pumped Firebolt as a synergy, instead of Meteor. Unless you plan to actually use Meteor (Baal waves, maybe?), you can save three prerequisite points.

5. mattinm

mattinm Diabloii.Net Member

Four because you don't have to put one into Meteor :p.

/OT

Congratulations on the Mat! I too am coming back from a more moderate hiatus (several months) and am contemplating between HC and SC. If HC, I'll be building a Meteorb sorceress in a similar vein; if SC, I'll be building a Orbitaller with Spirit.

As far as blocking goes, I used to have a HC max-block Meteorb with an up'd Viscy (w/ PDia) and I absolutely loved her. I never really felt in too much danger with her, except when I was brought down to ~10 life during Hell ancients.

Well, I guess all this max block talk settles it. It's HC time.

Oh, and don't worry about any hiccups in the language, seeing "La Runa Sur" in the screenshot totally made my day. For some reason, I've always enjoyed seeing screenies of non-English instances.

6. Baltha

Baltha Diabloii.Net Member

Thank you all!

I always go for the blocking route if possible. With nice resistances, 800 life and 75% block is very hard to kill. I only died twice, but MFing with negative resistances and no whistan's. And I'm a Nightfish disciple after all!

Sylecn and you are probably right in this one. I planed to use Meteor mainly and Fireball as a backup. But it ended up being the other way around. Meteor is nice against Baal waves, but that's it. Meh, I don't even use Meteor versus Mephisto. I kill him faster with Frozen Orb.

I starting to think that a Blizzballer is far superior to Meteorb. But no respecs left!

Agreed! Up'd Visceretuant is great! Too bad you can't up Whisthan.

How do you think Orbitaller compares to Blizzballer in both areas/bosses?

Hahahaha. Nice!

7. mattinm

mattinm Diabloii.Net Member

As a dual-tree build, it's my personal experience that Orb is the better of the two for boss killing (frees up some CM points), and Blizzard is better (and safer, with a longer duration GSpike) for area running, especially on higher player settings -- Blizzard seems to scale much better than Orb.

If you were to force me to pick one of the two builds for a general MFer, I'd probably pick Blizzballer, if twinked, and Orbitaller, if untwinked.

8. Hector

Hector Diabloii.Net Member

Being a fan of Frozen Orb since Static/Orb 'tweaker sorc' era, I tend to prefer Meteorb. :) It's one of my favorite sorc builds besides pure Lightning.

Good job on the Mat, you managed to get some impressive gear on her.