Math/Logic Puzzle #2!!

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diabloii.Net Member
Math/Logic Puzzle #2!!

Here's a slightly deceptive problem I came across in a puzzle book. I'm paraphrasing it, but all details are the same:

Two tennis players, Berry and Benny, are engaged in a competition over a $300 prize. The competition will be five matches long, with the prize going to whomever is the first to win 3 of those matches. (Best 3 out of 5). Benny wins the first match; Berry wins the second; and Benny wins the third. At this point, it begins to rain and that competition cannot continue. How should the prize money be split?

Yavanna

Diabloii.Net Member
Smart people would realize that if reasonable people were in charge, the competition would be rescheduled.

ragnar_ii

Diabloii.Net Member
nobody won yet so nobody gets the prize yet. but if there is no chance that they will replay and a winner must be appinted then obviously benny would get all of the money.

asdf

Diabloii.Net Member
i'm assuming the money is to be paid proportionally to the probablilty of winning the tournament if they are both equally good players... if that's the case, then benny should get 3/4 of the prize.

Alex_Str

Banned
giantpinkbunnyhead said:
Here's a slightly deceptive problem I came across in a puzzle book. I'm paraphrasing it, but all details are the same:

Two tennis players, Berry and Benny, are engaged in a competition over a $300 prize. The competition will be five matches long, with the prize going to whomever is the first to win 3 of those matches. (Best 3 out of 5). Benny wins the first match; Berry wins the second; and Benny wins the third. At this point, it begins to rain and that competition cannot continue. How should the prize money be split?

Well you said that the prize goes to whomever is the first to win 3 of these matches. They both won a combined total of 3 matches, therefore they both get the money. They can split it however the hell they want to.

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diabloii.Net Member
As expected, there was in interesting variety of responses, but the only correct response was asdf's response. The money is split 225 / 75.