Mastery Sorc Tourney

Randall

Diabloii.Net Member
jiansonz said:
I have two rules questions, though:

1. I see no mention of mercs. Are they completely unrestricted?

2. 'No muling on'. Does that mean I can´t use ATMA as an extended stash, and I must sell stuff that won´t fit into stash + inventory before a save?
Up to now this is how I played it as well. Unrestricted merc, no extended ATMA stash.

Randall

Uzziah

Diabloii.Net Member
You are NOT allowed an extended stash, but you can mule off anything that you want for another character. Otherwise it would be a bit of a store everything you would like kind of character, which I didn't intend.

You are allowed to mule on 2 items that contain either "charges" or "chance to cast" (must be chance to cast a skill such as ctc firebolt on attack, not chance of crushing blow), they have to be declared before beginning and have to be muled on at the start of the character.

Any trick you can use to better yourself is allowed, that means any merc is allowed. Use the tricks you have picked up, such as staffmods and the charge bug, it is intended for this challenge.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Uzziah said:
You are NOT allowed an extended stash, but you can mule off anything that you want for another character.
The latter is meaningless for me, because I don´t give any of my characters any items.

Allrighty then, no ATMA. I can play that game, too (grumble...).

That meant that saving extra Rejuves from act 1 is out for Jill. Same with keeping most of my early rings/ammies (for 3->1 cubing at level 24), etc., etc. I MUST get the Cube first thing in act 2...

It´s been a long time since I´ve had this fun in the first act! And every orb is interesting to check. Still no magical ones. I want one for rerolling later.

I´ve found out what works best for my pair. What Klaudia needs (to be effective) is a reliable tank that keeps the meleers off her back, and Jill delivers on that part. Ring Mail and Helm, added with level 3 FA brings her Defense up to 137. That, along with the fact that she is way above her enemies in level means she doesn´t get hit much. Bone Warriors in the Pit had a listed 15% chance to hit. :D

Name: Jill (of all trades)
Level: 17
Next area: one small section of Outer Cloister, then it´s time for Barracks.
Available skills:
Frozen Armor lvl 3 (orb in inventory)

Uzziah

Diabloii.Net Member
jiansonz said:
Allrighty then, no ATMA. I can play that game, too (grumble...).

It´s been a long time since I´ve had this fun in the first act! And every orb is interesting to check. Still no magical ones. I want one for rerolling later.

I´ve found out what works best for my pair. What Klaudia needs (to be effective) is a reliable tank that keeps the meleers off her back, and Jill delivers on that part. Ring Mail and Helm, added with level 3 FA brings her Defense up to 137. That, along with the fact that she is way above her enemies in level means she doesn´t get hit much. Bone Warriors in the Pit had a listed 15% chance to hit. :D

Level: 17
Next area: one small section of Outer Cloister, then it´s time for Barracks.
Available skills:
Frozen Armor lvl 3 (orb in inventory)
It sounds as though you are doing good, the first 30 clvls are the absolute worse for this character.

Don't forget about the leaf staff it can be a great help especially in the beginning. and TirRal are not hard to find, you can get them off of the countess.

PS are you playing this as a single pass or are you doing runs? I know you usually only make 1 full clear of an area.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Uzziah said:
Don't forget about the leaf staff it can be a great help especially in the beginning. and TirRal are not hard to find, you can get them off of the countess.

PS are you playing this as a single pass or are you doing runs? I know you usually only make 1 full clear of an area.
Single pass.

Countess (I always switch to /p1 on her floor when I´ve done the two side treasure chambers, in order to get more runes) delivered Nef + Nef + Tal, so I won´t have the option of a Leaf staff before act 3 or so.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Uzziah said:
the first 30 clvls are the absolute worse for this character.
I disagree. I think the hard part will begin when the merc no longer owns the monsters...

The last half of act 1 was a bit of a struggle, but not dangerous. If she recieved tanking help, Klaudia took down most enemies quite quickly. The only troublesome foes were the Dark Shamen, especially Champions. Jill couldn´t easily get Klaudia to aim at the shamen, and that resulted in repeated killing of constantly resurrected Dark Ones. But there was a solution to this also. I had found a magical Sacred Globe (cubing material), which just happened to have +2 to Ice Blast. Dark Ones make pretty ice cubes. :D

For the Andariel battle, I had an ace up my sleeve, a Resist Poison Shrine in Jail lvl 3, not far from the exit to the cloister and its waypoint. As you may know, in 1.10 that means Cannot be Poisoned.
I had also bought a staff with +1 to Static Field. The fight was over quickly.

I had prepared Jill´s stats (41 STR, 35 DEX) for my standard 'Steel' Flail, but Andariel´s drop changed my plans completely. There´s just NO way I will risk killing any monsters for quite a while holding any other other weapon that this. Woot!

I sold the Static Field staff and bought one with Teleport instead. I hired Haseen, a lvl 13 Blessed Aim merc, and bought him a 3s Spetum (and put a chipped sapphire in it). Time to get the Cube!

Uneventful sprint (and teleporting) to Halls of the Dead. While there, I found out that Haseen was somewhat underpowered to take on /p8 enemies of a higher level than him. He was in no way dominating, but he got the job done. I often used Teleport to bring Haseen to the Hollow Ones when we had lured most of the skeletons away from them. While Haseen was working on an Unraveler, Jill sometimes tanked the re-raised skeletons, so they wouldn´t distract him. Gull is pretty fast, but the damage output was only listed as 3-30. She could kill those skeletons, but it took a while. As we progressed, an Eld got placed in the Spetum, followed by another shortly after.

Got the cube. By now, I was literally swimming in chippies, rings and amulets. I used up all the chipped diamonds to make Savage polearms (about 20 of them). I kept a Halberd and a Partizan. Act 2 mercs can use Savage Halberds at level 20 (level 19 if you give them a slight STR boost).

Time to cube that magical orb. First try gave a 1-110 Static one. At first, I was excited, but it had no +skills. A few cubings later gave such a good result I decided to keep that orb. But I still had far too much stuff to be able to keep it all in a save. Hey, the night is young, let´s play on! I cleared all of the Sewers, but found no more magical orb. I had to go to sleep, so I had to do some premature jewelry cubing. It gave a +13 MF amulet, so it wasn´t a total waste.

The above happened friday evening. On Saturday I was on a roll and played all the rest of act 2!

All my chippies (except the rubies and topazes) get used for cubing magical orbs. I have two really nice ones. For most of the act, I used

Sapphire Sacred Globe of the Sentinel
One-Hand Damage: 3 to 8
Durability: 19 of 30
(Sorceress Only)
Required Level: 18
Orb Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Level: 25
+9 to Mana
Magic Damage Reduced by 2
Cold Resist +37%
+1 to Shiver Armor (Sorceress Only)
+1 to Static Field (Sorceress Only)
Socketed (2: 0 used)

except for the Arcane Sanctuary where I used

Smoked Sphere of Ice Blast
One-Hand Damage: 4 to 10
Durability: 20 of 35
(Sorceress Only)
Orb Class - Normal Attack Speed
+13 to Mana
+1 to Glacial Spike (Sorceress Only)
+3 to Teleport (Sorceress Only)
Level 1 Ice Blast (29/33 Charges)
Socketed (1: 0 used)

Teleport is just so convenient there, both to bring the, ehm, 'mentally challenged' merc through certain passages, but also to bring him back so he doesn´t kill any Specters when they are out in the void (they only drop items if they are killed above ground).

I have already cast aside the thought of getting a lot of +skills, of frequent multi-gear switching and pre-buffing Enchant to high levels. I may go so far as to make a Leaf staff with +to Enchant, but I won´t need it before late Nightmare, I think. The merc should carry me there, if I assist him well.

I won´t get high damage from my spells no matter how hard I try. No, the strength for this build lies in the masteries, and the damage boost they can give to the sorc´s weapons. That means melee fighting. I will keep the current merc to help me hit the enemies, I will aim for max block and I will deck her out in good melee survival gear. But that´s for later. Now it´s just all-out MFing that´s on the agenda! Act 2 gave me a 28% Nagelring, two pieces of Cleglaw´s Brace, and lots of rares.

Duriel? Pwned by SF.
(61% blocking doesn´t hurt either)

Level: 28
Next area: Spider Forest
Available skills: Shiver Armor lvl 1 (orb on weapon switch), Static Field lvl 1 (orb on weapon switch)
Total MF: +272% when opening containers, +329% for Haseen´s kills (which is just about ALL the kills)

Uzziah

Diabloii.Net Member
You haven't hit level 30 yet, having the masteries will be a great advantage.

You doing really well, I do have a question though are you playing this hardcore or softcore?

Don't forget that you can use the charge bug to your advantage, +3 glacial spike with a slvl 1 charge on a synergy nice and interesting. Fire wall may very well become your friend, so I would keep an eye out for it.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Uzziah said:
I do have a question though are you playing this hardcore or softcore?
It´s HC. I lost interest in SC about two years ago.

Uzziah said:
Fire wall may very well become your friend, so I would keep an eye out for it.
You are right. My alphabet tourney sorceress has level 6 Fire Wall backed up by level 8 Fire Mastery. It can kill even in early Hell, if I "spam" it and the merc is doing a good job tanking.

The rule of 'limited stash' more or less forced me to play the entire act 3 without save breaks. It took all day (don´t worry, I took plenty of smaller and larger breaks).

Jill still hasn´t fought much in the company of the mighty Haseen. There is no need. Sure, she can pop a couple of Statics if he´s fighting tough opponents (like Champion Maulers) but for the most part, she just walks around admiring the view, picks up loot, runs around to get Haseen to good spots, leads monsters to him so they forget about her, etc. There was only one tense fight in the act. When I entered Disused Reliquary on the Causeway, I was met with one of the worst stairs traps I´ve ever seen.

The nearest were Champion beetles, and you know how many "minions" they tend to have... Some of the bats attacked, but some stayed put. Snakes (which you can´t see in the first picture) were also coming in. The beetles which you can make out further inside is a boss pack. We hadn´t moved. That was our saving grace; monsters couldn´t attack from all sides. A few moments later, it looked like this. Yikes! Thank goodness this was still Normal...
(BTW, you can see that '5% ctc Frost Nova when struck' has triggered. Jill has that affix on her rare gloves.)

I had my Static Field orb on the weapon switch, but I didn´t switch. Why?
* On that switch, I had the crappy Cleglaw´s Claw. Storage problems had led to that I hadn´t bought another good blocking shield.
* SF is ineffective against beetles, and it may trigger waves of more sparks.

I did no fighting, and let Haseen go to work. There was a lot of clanging from the shield, and I had to start drinking potions. Both Jill and the merc needed several. I could save one full rejuve because of a very convenient level-up in the middle of the fight. :) When only 3-4 monsters remained, the boss had finally managed to get to us. It was Cursed. Good thing the beetle packs weren´t placed the other way around!

I was never in panic, because I always had the option to walk up the stairs. But it worked out in the end. Three full rejuves remained after this fight.

Here is the reason I wanted to get to act 4 without a save break. To the right of the picture is Jill´s Huge Pile o´Valuable Crap(TM). Each and every one of those items is worth more than 15000 gold. By the time of the picture, Jill had returned from the Pandemonium Fortress WP and was about to see which items Jamella could afford the full price for. About 40% of the pile got sold. Despite doing everything possible, I still had to sell 5-6 >20k items. I sold the bulkier ones, and I tried to pick those I thought were worth only slightly above 20k.

Level: 32
Next area: Outer Steppes
Available skills:
Shiver Armor lvl 1 (orb on weapon switch), Static Field lvl 1 (orb on weapon switch)
Invested skills:
Warmth 10
Cold Mastery 1
Fire Mastery 3
Lightning Mastery 3
16 skill points saved

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Another playing session, another act.

Haseen finally faced some worthy opponents, the Spawners. While they couldn´t kill him quickly themselves, the constant spawning meant that Venom Lords, Burning Souls or Urdar had more time to do damage. I found myself returning to town to buy healing potions quite often, and I also needed to resurrect Haseen a few times.

Chaos Sanctuary was much nicer to him. Only Diablo killed him (once).

Against Big D, I switched out MF stuff for resists. All three jewelry pieces and the headgear. I found a pretty nice Circlet in the Pile o´Crap: lightning resist, +mana, and +1 Lightning skills. :thumbsup:

There was a Skill Shrine at the entrance to the Sanctuary. I activated that, and now Jill suddenly had level 4 Static Field. That was good, because I didn´t have to be extremely close to Diablo in order to Static him. I had forgotten to take down the players setting, but that didn´t matter much. SF is just too good in Normal...

When I reached Harrogath, I did four trips back to Pandemonium Fortress, to fetch and sell the entire Valuable Crap pile. No sense trying to keep it until Nightmare, because (for some weird reason) town storage is not to be trusted when you play the cow level.

Some nice finds in the act:
* Sigon´s gloves
* Ort + Thul in the first areas, then another Thul from the Hellforge
* I cubed this orb:
Garnet Sacred Globe
One-Hand Damage: 3 to 8
Durability: 28 of 30
(Sorceress Only)
Orb Class - Fast Attack Speed
+9 to Life
Fire Resist +27%
+1 to Teleport (Sorceress Only)
+2 to Glacial Spike (Sorceress Only)
+1 to Shiver Armor (Sorceress Only)
Socketed (1: 0 used)

Should be a great tool in act 5. I can teleport Haseen next to the imps, and freeze suicide bombers so they don´t explode.

I think Haseen will struggle less than in act 4, and a little more than halfway through he can start using the Savage Partizan, and then he will own again.

Level: 35
Next area: Bloody Foothills
Available skills:
Shiver Armor lvl 1 (orb on weapon switch), Teleport lvl 1 (orb on weapon switch), Glacial Spike lvl 2 (orb on weapon switch), Static Field lvl 1 (orb in inventory)
Invested skills:
Warmth 10
Cold Mastery 1
Fire Mastery 6
Lightning Mastery 6
15 skill points saved

Uzziah

Diabloii.Net Member
I am surprized that you haven't shopped for a +enchant staff for enchanting your merc.

You're doing well though so I wish you continued luck.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Uzziah said:
I am surprized that you haven't shopped for a +enchant staff for enchanting your merc.
That will happen, eventually. Once (if) I reach NM, I plan to reroll the Normal map so I get the Lut Gholein exit next to Drognan, then shop him for hours for the best 2s Enchant staff I can find...

So far, the reason I don´t have one yet:
* Too much fuss with switching. Low-level Enchant doesn´t last long.
* There has not been any need.
* Up to now, I have not had any space to store it!

Randall

Diabloii.Net Member
2s Echant staff as for leaf. Are you sure you can still get normal/white items at your char level. I know that for wands after reaching level 20 all wands that are sold are magical.

Randall

DMPI_Masher

Diabloii.Net Member
jiansonz

This looks like fun. I'll make a charater later on today and start up as well. I know I have a few 2s Staves with good mods and some nice rings with charges.

I'll also play HC and post the stats here. Good luck with your charater.

- Masher

Uzziah

Diabloii.Net Member
Randall said:
2s Echant staff as for leaf. Are you sure you can still get normal/white items at your char level. I know that for wands after reaching level 20 all wands that are sold are magical.

Randall
Clvl doesn't matter with the act 2 normal shop. The shop can only sell up to a certain ilvl and will be able to sell white items at anytime. This is the reason people return to act 2 normal to shop for the perfect leaf staves, though I don't think fire mastery is capable of spawning on those staves.

Uzziah

Diabloii.Net Member
DMPI_Masher said:
jiansonz

This looks like fun. I'll make a charater later on today and start up as well. I know I have a few 2s Staves with good mods and some nice rings with charges.

I'll also play HC and post the stats here. Good luck with your charater.

- Masher
You may want to read the actual challenge its untwinked challenge with the exception of 2 starting items both must include either a charged skill or a ctc spell of some sort.

DMPI_Masher

Diabloii.Net Member
I understand. So no bringing in my +3 enchant 2s staff...unless it has charges or CTC.

Hmmmm

I'll read the rules one more time then make a new charater post. It'll be fun even if there is no prize stash

- Masher

DMPI_Masher

Diabloii.Net Member
Level one HC sorc

Name: Element_PhD

Item 1:
Stone Cord
Plated Belt
Defense: 20
Required Strength: 60
Required Level: 23
+6 to Strength
+37 to Life
+72% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +10%
Poison Resist +7%
5% Chance to cast Level 3 Frost Nova when struck

Item 2:
Plague Coil
Ring
Required Level: 13
+5 to Life
+1 to Maximum Damage
Lightning Resist +27%
+1 to Mana After Each Kill
Level 2 Fire Bolt (24/25 Charges

Uzziah

Diabloii.Net Member
DMPI_Masher said:
Level one HC sorc

Name: Element_PhD

Item 1:
Stone Cord
Plated Belt
Defense: 20
Required Strength: 60
Required Level: 23
+6 to Strength
+37 to Life
+72% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +10%
Poison Resist +7%
5% Chance to cast Level 3 Frost Nova when struck

Item 2:
Plague Coil
Ring
Required Level: 13
+5 to Life
+1 to Maximum Damage
Lightning Resist +27%
+1 to Mana After Each Kill
Level 2 Fire Bolt (24/25 Charges
Looks good enjoy:

I wish you the luck bestowed on the others that have taken this challenge, though it really wasn't intended to be hardcore.

jiansonz I look forward to your update, Same for you DMPI_Masher.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
DMPI_Masher, I can slow down a bit so you can catch up and we can spur each other. Will be more fun that way. That´s no problem at all, I have so many characters...

(and I wonder if Randall will continue as well, once/if we get to NM?)

Anyway, not much playing time yesterday, but Jill cleared up to the Arreat Plateau. Of course, the Highlands waypoint is right at the start, so I´ll have to run/teleport quite some distance next session.

Levels are just rolling in here in the Barbarian homelands. FOUR level-ups over two areas (and a small bonus dungeon)! Good finds:

* Amn rune. Very nice.
* Vidala´s Fetlock. The partial set combo (that I use now) with the amulet is one of my favourites. I have exactly the same MF from this combo that I had before (with my 32% boots and 18% amulet), and now I have 30% Faster Run, +15 life and some resists.
* A good rare Tower Shield with 19% lightning resist, +20% block and -15% requirements. That took the STR required down to 60, which is exactly what Jill has now. Cool!
* At character level 39, Larzuk can sell Artisan´s Great Helms. I figured I should check him out once in a while. The very first I looked at was one! Incredible.

That rare shield is a good measuring stick for how much DEX Jill needs for max. blocking. I will most likely end up with a Tower Shield with 64% blocking, be it rare, magical, 'Rhyme' or even Sigon´s...

Speaking about shields, I found a good use (yes, I´m serious!) for Cleglaw´s Claw. Those really annoying poison splashes from catapults are not nearly as annoying as they use to be for my characters. :D