Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

MasterGomez (1.09 Necro) is on the prowl - "White" + Bone Spear FTW!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by RobbyD, Jul 19, 2010.

1. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

MasterGomez (1.09 Necro) is on the prowl - "White" + Bone Spear FTW!

I went ahead and started with MasterGomez, my 1.09 Necro and 6th character. He's twinked to the max (Angelic + Death + Sigon's + Tarnhelm) and will use the SoJ and dual Hommys. He's level 15 now and loving how untouchable good twinking makes an early character.

I've already planned his twinking to level 29 (when SoVM, SoJ, etc. become available) and have already planned to CE through Hell on P1, with a maxed IG (+GM) (put those IK Mauls to use!) and Might Merc and Summons. But the last piece of the puzzle has been what complementary attack to use to assist the Merc and Golem in getting that first kill, and what to use in NM P8. It needs to be something that can deal with PIs since Amp/Decrep doesn't break PI in 1.09 (and PIs are very common in 1.09 Hell).

I was orginally thinking to pump Poison Dagger, but looking into it, I see that level 20 Poison Dagger in 1.09 BARELY outperforms a Crystal Sword with 5 Jewels of Envy. Then I thought Bone Spirit would be the best for the fact that it does the most damage of his direct damage spells. But that's a single target, slow acting spell, and doesn't seem to make for fun gameplay.

Well, I've finally decided what to do - "White" in a (yet-to-be-found) wand with +3 Bone Spear and use Bone Spear as his main attack (especially for NM where CE won't be effective due to P8).

I like this for a couple of reasons - it actually uses a potentially useful 1.09 runeword I haven't made yet, and its mechanics let the Necro be active in the battle (much like the Zon with piercing Fire Arrow). I've read the 1.10 FAQ on this wiki, and it seems to imply that Lower Resists impacts Magic Damage in 1.09, so I plan to check to see if that works.

I'll report on how MasterGomez does. Right now (normal A1 twinked to high heaven) he's untouchable, and the Rouge merc is destroying with the bow with 3 jewels of Envy. Pumping Golem Mastery at level 15 (I pumped CE a little bit earlier, but did not realize that P8 makes it ineffective) and the Clay Golem is actually killing (spamming Amp, of course).

Hell equipment planned is Shako, Skin of Vipermagi, rare ammy (best I can find/craft), RF + SoJ, Hommy with pDiamond for each weapon switch, Trang's Gloves, TGod's Vigor (a must in 1.09 for MSLE), "White" and Blackrog's Sharp (for the Slow Target).

2. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

Re: MasterGomez (1.09 Necro) is on the prowl - "White" + Bone Spear FTW!

First, I'm very, very interested in your v1.09 play - I used to play v1.09 on bnet, loved it (when barbs rules the world b/c of their mastery bug + eth bug). I have v1.09 loaded on my PC, and I may just go through a pat or two with it. MP maybe?

True story! Everything had a global 50% PI in hell in v1.09 (!), so anything stoneskin is auto-PI.

Great idea to use Spear /w White. I don't know the damage differences for Spear v. Spirit, but Spirit is really a PvP skill b/c of its tracking. Don't be afraid to max CE b/c it works great at /p1.

This is correct.

See comment on CE earlier.

Good luck.

Looks great for gear.

3. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

Thanks for the input! Don't worry - I already plan on maxing CE - Hell will be done on P1, so I plan to CE my way through. Lower Resist + CE FTW!

I set up a channel on Hamachi for 1.09 MP (see post in the MP forum) - if you're interested, I have quintet of cannons (Schaeferdin, BurizaZon, BurizaBear with +3skills lightning hose Rogue Merc, a rather more boring MF Frenzy Barb, and a MeteOrb planned for coversion to 1.10s).

What kind of characters are you thinking of doing in 1.09?

4. Crazy Runner Guy

Don't forget - CE is 1/2 physical; 1/2 fire. So is a monster has enough fire res to keep its fire res above -50 with LR on, you're better off using amp - even though LR is your main curse b/c of your magic damage.

Probably barb-focused until I get some decent MF'ing done. The biggest issue I have with SP in v1.09 is need a way to get past physical immunes in tight areas (i.e. Arcane Sanc and Maggot Lair), so I need to figure out how to swing that [EDIT: for a non-barb, physical damage character.] I really like the chipped gem recipe, so I'll probably make a WW barb based on that, then a FO/lightning sorc or LF zon or I'll just go from there. Lots of good stuff in v1.09.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  5. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

I'll keep that in mind - already planning on spamming Amp too for Merc and Golem, so it will be keyed for regular use.

Zerk has worked fine for my Frenzy Barb for PIs (a nice big 2H weapon on switch was used until he was tough enough to run it all with dual Ali's on swtich). I rolled some sweet 3os swords myself - 2 cruel Champion Swords (used for Mephy running for a long time) and 2 Grandmasters Colossus Blades (never put to use, unfortunately). I'd say the Champ Swords are on par with Doombringer.

Quick question (seems like you really know your 1.09) - if I were to make a +3 skill Rogue Merc with Shako and Skin of Viper, and put a 6 pEmerald Bow in her hands, would both the poison damage and lightning damage be applied to the lightning attacks?

6. Crazy Runner Guy

I never used a Rogue merc in v1.09 so I can't speak to the Lightning Hose effect (it's +3 skills and then you're there, right?), but I can't see why not. Should be easy to test - if the target turns green, it works!

And I'm aware 'Zerk = magic damage. Howl also works great for clearing PIs and other things away. I was/am more concerned with non-barb, physical damage-based characters.

7. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

Sorry - thought you were talking about the Barb. The very common PI solution I found in researching my Pally and Druid was Baranar's Star/Lightsabre with Timiat's Rebuke on switch. I can tell you that the Lightsabre/Timiat's combo with Zeal works just fine with Conviction for my Pally (pumping Vengeance for the occassional PI/LI). For the druid, my approach was the aforementioned Rogue Merc (spam shockwave to keep the targets still) and lots of elemental damage charms (and relying on the built-in cold of the Buriza). I haven't made a Sin yet (will be #7 if I'm successful with the Necro), but PS MA seems to be by far the most popular build, and traps provide many elemental options as well. Zons have that bugged Fire Arrow and the Freezing Arrow option, and lots of lightning on the Javelin side.

I'd say planning for PIs is one of the things that makes 1.09 unique since I think that's the only patch for which PI is absolutely unbreakable.

8. Pyrohemia

Pyrohemia IncGamers Member

I'm glad to see that you ending up going for the necro after all. I remember my 1.09 Bnet necromancer being very powerful, mainly because of corpse explosion.

9. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

Level 18 (catacombs 2) and I had enough skill points to populate Bone Spear, BG, and LT. I put an eth Tarnhelm on the Rogue merc and asked "Why is she shooting fire arrows? She's a cold arrow rogue." OH yeah, hah hah - the +skills starts with fire arrow at +1 skill.

The Jade Tan Do has required level 19 - that will replace the jewel of envy sword for Act 2, but I'm thinking something less... poison based for Andy - maybe break out the Crushflange.

I considered going back and getting a Fire Arrow Rogue Merc and going with lightning hose for endgame, but I think I'll go ahead and stick to the formula - Defiance merc, then Might merc. Will set him up with an Honor Yari (Face of Horror for the str) at level 27, at which time he will PWN.

10. Crazy Runner Guy

I tweaked up a cold sorc I had sitting around - she was clvl 21, and I converted her form v1.09 classic (was going to HF rushing long time ago, never got around to it). Made it clvl 30 and Act 5 - Crystalline passage. Orb is just dominant with one skill point in it and mastery, and Nova is a mana suck. Just about everything I'm wearing is socketed with Tir runes (except shield), so i'm raking in +14 mana/kill.

11. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

You'll find Orb is just fine all through the game on P1, but if you are going P8, it slows down considerably in late Hell (and useless against all the CIs in Hell CP/GT/AW).

If you use Static, there appears to be a bug that let's it keep going past 50% health for SOME (not all) uniques in Hell Act 5 (that's where I've noticed it, at least). I haven't had it trigger enough to figure out what mods make it happen, but let me know if you notice it as well.