Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Master list of Hell-viable builds?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by El-Cupacabra, Mar 28, 2005.

1. El-Cupacabra

El-Cupacabra IncGamers Member

Master list of Hell-viable builds?

Does anybody know of one for playing SINGLE PLAYER?

In other words, I'm looking for a list of character builds that will work in hell when I am playing solo.

Any help would be appreciated.

PS - I can find guides myself, simply build "names" would be helpful.

2. Bazhell

Bazhell IncGamers Member

The two that I have experience with are trapsins and concentrate barbs.

The trappers do not really require uber equipment and what you do need +3 to traps can be purchased along the way. I've played mine untweaked with a rogue as my merc and she is level 86 trying to get past the Ancients (which I really haven't spent much time on lately)

My concentrate is currently in Hell Act 3 and is chugging along nicely. Though I must admit that he's been equipped since the start with a bunch of uniques that I've found or got from the giveaway thread. It would be harder playing this untwinked, but I don't think that much.

The guide in the strategy section caries over quite well for either of these as SP

Another build that is frequently mentioned are meteororbs.

3. Toppo

Toppo IncGamers Member

You know, such a list would be pretty long. Especially if you're twinking. Then almost all builds you can imagine are hell viable. For example you can beat the game quite easily with normal attack (Tanka/Daggerzon).

4. El-Cupacabra

El-Cupacabra IncGamers Member

I don't really see how that is possible when my WW-Druid gets smoked in Act 1/Hell with medium level stuffs.

5. Toppo

Toppo IncGamers Member

Really? What's your druids level (and build)? It's better to enter Hell around 75. Then it's all about getting big and hurty enough stick with which to beat those monsters to oblivion. And maybe getting those resists close to max.

Edit:

Here's a little list of builds which are definetly hell viable (=cheddar :D ):

MeterOrb/Vega Sorc
    Blizzard Sorc (with FW or FBall as backup)

Hammerdin
    Fanatic Zealot
    Avenger
    Tesladin

WW/Conc Barb

LF/CS Zon

Trapsin (LI)

Wind Druid
    Fury WW

Fishymancer

6. Colorless Green

Colorless Green IncGamers Member

you should try playing more defensively, and taking your time. also, maybe switch some of your eq out for other stuff with life or resistances or something.

basically any softcore build can finish the game with enough patience. if you're looking for a list of builds for which hell is a walk in the park, however, the list will be a lot shorter.

7. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Some builds would require extreme patience...Also you can't whittle down The Ancients, so quite a few builds would struggle there. The best builds for each character are probably:

Wind Druid
    Lightning Trapsin
    Skellymancer
    Meteorb Sorceress
    Hammerdin
    Concentrate Barb
    Strafeazon

Of course there are many more, but people have different opinions on viable..Someone named MongoJerry once took a Necromancer through Hell without killing any monsters...except for act bosses, so I'd say anything is possible, but some builds are definitely more fun to conquer Hell with than others. I like builds that can kill reasonably fast and won't die everytime I make one little mistake, so I prefer the cookie cutter builds and call them viable.

8. Zavior

Zavior IncGamers Member

Berserker barb
    Holy Freeze paladin
    Bone nec

9. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

If you're playing a melee build, life, resists and suchlike are crucial. The other crucial thing is to stay away from Fire Enchanted monsters, which can kill you very suddenly and without warning.

That said, most builds can be taken through with enough patience. A handful off the top of my head...

Amazon:
    Multizon, Strafezon, Magezon
    LF/CS Javazon
    Hybrid (bow/jav)
    Tankazon/Valkazon (passive-only)

Assassin:
    TS/DTail, TS/PS, TS/DTalon
    Lightning Trapper

Barbarian:
    Iron Barb (Concentrate, high def)
    Berserker
    WW Barb
    Other WW Barb (needs Wolfhowl :) )
    Frenzy Barb
    Thrower

Druid:
    Wind Druid
    Fire Druid
    WW - Fury
    WW - Rabies(/Fire Claws)
    Shockbear

Necro:
    Skelemancer
    Bone necro
    Poison necro
    Hybrids of the above

Paladin:
    Just about any combination of combat skill/aura
    Hammerdin
    Templar
    Smiter

Sorceress:
    Pick any 1-3 from:
    Blizzard
    Frozen Orb
    Fireball
    Meteor
    Firewall
    CB
    CL

The main problem with surviving Hell is that things are a lot harder now than they have been - once you get used to it, you should be ok. Just make sure you have decent resists, a fair chunk of life, and that you run screaming if you see a Fire Enchanted boss.

Good luck!

10. tigercan

tigercan IncGamers Member

I'm know some of these have been mentioned already, but I've done it (untwinked) with:

Conc Barb
    Wind Druid
    Fire only Sorceress
    LF Zon
    Skelliemancer
    Hammerdin
    Trapassin (HC)

Also got a charger paladin to act 4/hell who I never got around to finishing, but who I am sure would have made it easily

11. Boulos

Boulos IncGamers Member

I haven't gotten a character all the way through Hell yet in 1.10, but I do have a Fana/Zealot Paladin in Act I/Hell and I've recently started a MeteOrb Sorc to see what the fuss is about.

For the first 30 or so levels it was fairly slow going...then I got Orb and Meteor to decent levels. Oh and I finally twinked her. :)

After playing melee characters almost exclusively, I can't believe how easily Sparky (my MeteOrg Sorc) mows through things. She just started Nightmare and with +skills has Orb at level 25. I just have to spam Orb and run through things...it's so easy. I'm sure she will just breeze through the rest of the game and it's quite nice. :)

I'm toying with the idea of dumping my Act II Defensive Merc I got in Normal and going with a Barb from Act V Normal. I want a nice meat shield for my Sorc. I've also thought about the old Act II Nightmare Holy Freeze Merc. Any thoughts?

12. water_moon

water_moon IncGamers Member

Go w/ the holy freeze, for one thing HF hits cold imune, very nice in hell. For another, the arua mercs try to stay with you to keep you in thier aura, the Barbies run off 4 screens and get themselves killed (while exposing you to the nasties in the meanwhile.)

And the key to hell by yourself is slow down, and drink those potions, even if you don't really need to now, if you don't you'll wish you had when the next bugger hits you.

13. Mordalles

Mordalles IncGamers Member

and dont forget the powerful sheckwave/armageddon werebear!

14. farting bob

farting bob Banned

To quote Nightfish "any build is a possible mat/pat" or something along those lines.
    Along with the more obvious ones, i can add a frenzying wirt's leg weidling barb, and hopefully i will also add a dentist and a digglerdin in the not to distant future.
    But for more common builds that have been known to work, just check out the individual character forums for guides. most if not all (bar the cleric of course :p) builds that work on bent work in SP, although most guides written for bnet have stupidly high item suggestions, but we can work around that.

15. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

The dentist has been done already though not untwinked. There's even a guide on it.

You're looking at a long list if you want hell viable builds. It'll be easier if you ask whether a build is non-hell viable or not. I could give you one :)

Naked char with no skillpt/stat pts issued untwinked.

16. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

Untwinked variant missed

Lightning Trapper/Dtalon kicker.

All she needs is Str rune word (Amn + Tir) and some mirrored boots or myrmidon greaves which can be gambled or shopped (Hell Anya). The boots are essential, the CB and speed is what kills.

She can even do Baal runs once you find some resist equip.

17. farting bob

farting bob Banned

just about the only build i can think of that is absolutely impossible for hell is a kamakaze build. (your only damage comes from rainbow facet bonuses of XX skill when you die) Simply because of the ancients, you have to kill them without going to town. But then i dont think anyone has actually tried a true kamakaze build.

18. sunbearie

Well, the varient there is to place on the facets on an act III merc :) but you'll still only get to die twice.

19. Quickdeath

Quickdeath IncGamers Member

This is the 2nd time I've seen someone ask "What are Hell-viable builds?" and then seen several forum regulars respond with statements like "Any build is viable." and proceed to list every single build.

Why is everyone so unhelpful when this question is asked? Its a legit question. He didn't ask "Which builds are at least remotely possible?" He asked "Which builds are viable?" The fact that Farting Bob (who I respect enormously) took a Wirt-wielding Frenzy Barb through Hell is equivalent to saying that someone climbed Mt. Shasta in a wheelchair. Climbing a 14,000 ft. Mtn in a wheelchair is inarguably possible - but its not helpful when some person asks you for practical advice on Mtn climbing to respond "You can climb mountains in a wheelchair."

Let's face it a ConcBarb is probably the most straightforward Barb build, and Thrower Barbs and Singing Barbs are relatively hard, and not recommended for the novice. LF-based Zons are easier than any Bowazons, and strafers are easier than MA-zons or mageazons. Why don't we be straightforward and just provide these kind of judgments -statements that might be useful?

20. sunbearie

Most of us based the builds on our own experience. In fact, I think the majority of the posts here stated what builds they finished hell with just to show they're viable. I'll admit I didn't contribute my builds but the point of the post was that he'll have an easier time asking the reverse etc.

Perhaps the poster left the question a little to open. My impression was that he just wanted to eliminate builds he was told were not viable.

The idea of an having an easier time is very relative though. We've had so many complaints here abt hammerdins who can't aim etc. :)