Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Massive Achievements Removal from Season 3

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Flux Submitted a news story

Massive Achievements Removal from Season 3

One big change in this new season is a major streamlining to the number of variety of Achievements available in Season Three. There are simply a lot fewer achievements in total, and most that were removed were for odd exploration stuff. As a result a far higher percentage of the total available Achievement points can be obtained simply by power leveling and upgrading LGems and such, which is a change some players greet with dismay.

A huge thread full of their complaints can be seen on Battle.net, and a CM swooped in to lend a sympathetic ear. Massive Achievements Removal from Season 3:

We don't mind re-doing achievements, Blizzard. New and exclusive challenges are nice, but don't take away from the casual experience, please. That's a really big part of the fun for us who don't feel like real competitive play.
    --Zsu

Cutting out all the original achievements (class, explore, event, boss and monster kills, etc) is not the way to spark interest in Season 3. It excludes a massive amount of the player base shooting for "The Achievement Point Leaderboards" in a season.
    --BlackViper

I agree 100%. I was so looking forward to going for the achievements and competing for them (when I was able) and seeing where I fell on the leaderboards. But when I logged in, it seemed like 90% of the achievements were gone.
    --Spluncy

I have zero desire to put the time into competing on grifts and conquests, but last season at least I could get into the top 1000 by playing a lot and picking up a ton of random achievements.
    --eternalsnows

Tyvalir: Great feedback! You all have my thanks for sharing your perspectives so constructively here. Even fifteen pages later, I can see that most responses are on topic and respectful in their tone. *insert applause*

I'm still parsing through and collecting all of the ideas presented in this thread (since there's a lot of good stuff here). By all means, please continue this discussion and I'll make sure your feedback gets in front of the right folks. [source]http://diablo.incgamers.com/blizzard-tracker/devthread/us/16952355725[/source]

I was oblivious to this Achievement-pocalypse in my own play, though I'd heard similar complaints in clan chat from people who do Achievement hunt. Any of you guys in that group? Care to share your thoughts on the issue for those of us who aren't as impacted?
    Continue reading the Original Story

2. N_Tys

N_Tys IncGamers Member

Maybe remove those real pointless ones like achievements for leveling to lvl 10.

Theres some real mundane ones in there.

3. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

I'm really glad they simplified season achievements. At the start of the season the achievement spam in the chat could be obnoxious as my few friends unlocked tons of stuff at once and it also caused performance issues. Can't imagine what it was like for people with a well-populated friends list.

4. thuus

thuus IncGamers Member

No achievement spam lag.... this is a good thing

5. XinKaishu

XinKaishu IncGamers Member

As far as I know, you can turn that off from options.

6. ElKo

ElKo IncGamers Member

I'm one of those players finding fun in getting achievements. Especially the odd ones, like killing 1000 monsters with a specific skill active. It gives you motivation to try out different characters and builds...
    So I really miss them a lot. It takes out a lot of the fun in playing seasons.

But a good thing might be that when I reach level 70 with a character, I might try the greater rifts (lost a hardcore character at lvl 66 after putting on the Deathpants, which seemed nice but the loss of all life regeneration was too much). But with almost no achievements for characters under lvl 70, they have taken away a lot of the fun of the seasons for me.

7. koko

koko IncGamers Member

8. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

I'm one of the filthy casuals who complained about this. I felt that the achievement score was a nice metric for casual progress, and I liked the feeling of starting the game fresh. I respect the fact that people who don't care about them might be annoyed by the notifications, but.... you can turn that of.

To me, it feels like Blizzard is saying to us achievement hunters: "You're not having fun in the correct way. Now farm a class set, select the skills for the specific build that goes along with it, and grind out greater rifts like you're supposed to. Fall in line."

Not cool Blizzard, not cool.

9. Mage Slayer

Mage Slayer IncGamers Member

Agreed. After saying they want to promote other endgame activities other than grifts, they've further incentivized grifts with the shard cap increases & new conquests, and now gutted achievement hunting in seasons. Adding in a few new bounties does not exactly redress the balance.

10. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

that has nothing to do with achievements and everything to do with the ridiculous notification system

11. Nodders

Nodders IncGamers Member

I got the cow rift and invited some clan members , not a single achievement to be had , thought you got a couple in there before ?

12. Mage Slayer

Mage Slayer IncGamers Member

It used to be that you needed the Lord of Bells for the rift guardian achievement, but they removed that requirement a patch or two ago. While removing the ultra rare rift guardian from that was probably wise, it's a shame they didn't add a feat of strength or something.