Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Map seed's effect on # of monsters spawning

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by i_marsolek, Feb 6, 2004.

1. i_marsolek

i_marsolek IncGamers Member

Map seed's effect on # of monsters spawning

Last night I started a hardcore assasin (I have been starting a lot of HC charcaters lately--lousy one life rule :D ) and I entered the Blood moor. I crank it up to players 8 and go looking for some Fallen. It didn't take long before I found a pack, and then another and another and on and on. I could not believe how many monsters were in the Moor. I was to level 6 by the time I found the Den of Evil. I thought this is a bit strange. I entered the Den and the same thing happens. Just loads of monsters. I was to level 8-9 when I finished the Den. I also was having a more than usual amount of magic items, and two rares already with 0% MF. Strange. I start up my Druid HC character. I noticed considerably less amount of monsters and fairly average drops- finished the Den around level 6-no rares. I was wondering if anyone has experienced something like this before? and if you think it is related to the map seed? Or perhaps how a person explores a map (like in .07 where taking a different route to a rack can change the item). I am not too concerned about the items as more deaths=more drops=more overall chance for rares etc...

I have forgotten the Map seed command, but I would like to give this map another try with a new character to see if I get the same results. Also if I was to give someone my map seed (let's say it was a great Meph map for me) would it still be the same map with entrances and waypoints in the same place?

I also have been thinking about running the Arcane Sanctuary for runes. I remember a Thread stating that a person had gotten around 8 mesh armors to drop when the killed a monster in the same place in contiuous games(I think it was Borlag?). Last night I was taking my Barb through the Arcane Sanctuary on normal and I was stopped by a pack of ghosts. I killed them one by one in exactly the same place. 2 rings, 2 charms, and a jewel. I believe this is the same treasure class that runes drop from. If you can find a spot on the map like this in Hell, I would think I would have agood chance at some good runes. Is this a good line of thought?

Any comments/advice is welcomed

Isaac

2. Starving_Poet

Starving_Poet IncGamers Member

Actually I think it has to do with the types of monsters that spawn. Fallen are going to spawn in pack of 5+ whereas zombies might spawn in packs of 2. Rogue's depending on the type will usually spawn in larger packs. It has to do with whether the monsters are designed to be dangerous singly or only dangerous in swarms.

However the seed command is put into the .pif (link to diablo) so it would be:
    "c:\games\diablo 2\game.exe" -seed123123123123

just make sure the -seed is outside the quotes. And yes the quotes need to be there.

3. Lotek-Crask

Lotek-Crask IncGamers Member

I've never heard of the seed command before as i'm new to SP, but would very much like more info, any faqs posted on this?

4. Starving_Poet

Starving_Poet IncGamers Member

There's not really a FAQ per se but I can explain it's function.

Diablo 2 is not a truly random world. The shape of the map depends on a random number called the 'seed'. This number is the "random" number that all the map building randum number calculations depend on. So, every game loaded for a single seed will have the same map as long the difficulties are the same.

The only good way to find out what your mapseed is, is to open up your save file in ATMA and go to the 'Character Stats' section. This way, if you have an excellent Hell Mephisto map, you can save the seed so that if you accidentally switch difficulties, or decide to play MP, you can retrieve the map whenever you want it. You can make sure a specific seed is loaded by using the command line I showed above.

5. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

But there are certain problems when using -seed command (I really dont know if they should have been discussed)...I use it only to restore my maps after MP sesion. I copy-paste the seed from ATMA to command line, start the game and open the char in game. After that I quit and remove that -seed command on command line. After that I launch the game again and cont´nue playing. We had a thread about this thing some time ago,a nd same thing was entioned there too. Ths is what I suggest you to do, other usage of this commanf I consider as cheatting

6. Davemetalhead

Davemetalhead IncGamers Member

I don't think it's cheating, but that's just my opinion .... :p