Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

map seed?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by baldbrad, Mar 20, 2005.

1. baldbrad

baldbrad IncGamers Member

map seed?

ok so just started playing and as such,with any game i play i try to read a lot of forums for it(so i can act like i know what im doing lol.)

Any ways,ive read sevral posts that mention changing your map seed?what is this and whats the benifits,how do i do it.

Thanks.

2. Dan334477

Dan334477 IncGamers Member

When you start a game, you get a randomly generated map to play on. Only a few areas are preset - most are just generated. In single player, your map doesn't change with each new game you start. So your map is saved when you exit the Diablo II program. Your maps for each character and difficulty are different from eachother, but they never change. So you will get maps A, B, C for a character in Normal, Nightmare, and Hell difficulties respectively, and you will get maps D, E, F for another character in the same way.

Changing the map seed means changing the layout of a map. It is done by entering a TCPIP game. This spawns you a new seed for your character. Keep creating TCPIP games until you get a map that you like. Then play single player and you'll notice your map is the same as the latest seed. This is used mainly to get maps where getting to the boss is easy.

3. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Map seed is also changed when you go start a game in different difficulty with the same character (all maps for the previously played difficulty are erased).
    Map seed can be also stored (it's a number) and you can start the game with seed command. This can be treated as cheating.

4. baldbrad

baldbrad IncGamers Member

Thanks alll.

5. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

So, in effect, if you are playing Single on your comp and reached Hell Meph and find that the level 3 stairs are too far from the waypoint for your tastes you can save and exit, re-enter your char in Nightmare, save and exit and re-enter in Hell mode. Go through the durance 2 waypoint and if you find the stairs really close by then keep that map and don't change difficulty otherwise you'll lose that map seed.

Obviously, if you click on Nightmare by accident you'll toast your current map seed.

What Hrus was alluding to is that you can view your map seed number through ATMA (I know that at least) and write it down. You can always enter through the command line option of Diablo the map seed you want (the number) and you'll get that seed. Most people frown on that kind of manipulation though.

6. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

You can use the search function to find an older thread where this is discussed. About how the seed command works, so you don't involve yourself in a kind of cheating.

7. cryist

cryist IncGamers Member

I hate it when i do that..

8. Bugzy

Bugzy IncGamers Member

Not as bad as thinking you've picked nightmare, going into hell, running into a boss pack ready to kill them and then gettin your butt handed to u.

I ...don't... speak from experiance ;)

9. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

an easier way is to start your game as a TCP game, that way, when you realize your map sucks, you just quit & restart and get a new map. once you find a good one, quit & restart as a single player game to "lock in" that map for that character

10. LowLander

LowLander IncGamers Member

*Much* slower though. Generating the MP map somehow takes the game much longer than the SP map. Maybe on a godly system you don't notice, on my PCs it's quite a big difference. Big enough to have switched to the "difficulty" method.

11. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Map seed = Purchased from any good garden shop, these come in small packs. Planted in a medium or small sized pot, watered daily, will produce a vareity of maps, which can be fed into D2 via the floppy drive. Some of these maps will be great for hunting meph or baal, and others will just suck. I persoanlly have fields of map seeds growing, and select the best ones for D2'ing every now and then.