Map-seed depleted?

Snake

Diabloii.Net Member
Map-seed depleted?

Is it possible to deplete a map-seed, so that less items will drop for example?

Ashlen

Diabloii.Net Member
Nevermind. For some reason I thought your post said mapseed delete, so that is what my answer was about..... People, move along. Nothing to see here...

XaviarGangrel

Diabloii.Net Member
I've been wondering if this happens, since while I was running Meph and the Council on normal recently, it seemed to get less and less good items, dispite the fact that I was improving my MF every now and then. It seemed to me that the more I ran the map, the more the quality of the items went down each time.

Ashlen

Diabloii.Net Member
Now that I think about it, I seem to remember someone mentioning something about Blizzard putting in code to reduce the quality of drops if you kept running one boss or area over and over and over.... Don't know if there is any truth to that, or if that was what you meant Snake.

Hakai_no_Tenshi

Diabloii.Net Member
Ashlen said:
Now that I think about it, I seem to remember someone mentioning something about Blizzard putting in code to reduce the quality of drops if you kept running one boss or area over and over and over.... Don't know if there is any truth to that, or if that was what you meant Snake.
That is completely false. Whoever told you that must be high on the "happy cabbage". As with all things, the RNG will give you streaks of good luck followed by streaks of bad luck. One tends only to notice the bad luck streaks more than the other way around.

--T

Ashlen

Diabloii.Net Member
Cool. Thanks for clearing that up Doc. As I mentioned I had no idea if it was true or not. I kind of figured it wasn't as people do tons of MF runs in the same areas all the time...

Stargaze

Diabloii.Net Member
You know, Blizzard has built in a secret code that makes your CPU send a ultra-high-frequency signal. Via satellite connection, they are able to trace every step you do in the game. Massive Cray Fuzzy Arrays detect any repetitive behavior and calculate a MF penalty based on a complex formula using time, CPU-speed, your nose length, local weather condition and a secret compound known as para (n)oia. This information is sent back to you, using a spacetime contorting timeframe mechanism, having the data arrive before you actually commit the crime.

Shade

Diabloii.Net Member
Stargaze said:
You know, Blizzard has built in a secret code that makes your CPU send a ultra-high-frequency signal. Via satellite connection, they are able to trace every step you do in the game. Massive Cray Fuzzy Arrays detect any repetitive behavior and calculate a MF penalty based on a complex formula using time, CPU-speed, your nose length, local weather condition and a secret compound known as para (n)oia. This information is sent back to you, using a spacetime contorting timeframe mechanism, having the data arrive before you actually commit the crime.
These effects can be nullified to some extent by covering your monitor in tinfoil.

Andrew

Diabloii.Net Member
Hakai_no_Tenshi said:
That is completely false. Whoever told you that must be high on the "happy cabbage". As with all things, the RNG will give you streaks of good luck followed by streaks of bad luck. One tends only to notice the bad luck streaks more than the other way around.

--T

So... assuming the RNG (i'm assuming this is an acronym for some game mechanics? lol) works in streaks... Would it be possible that new maps always start with good streaks, hence making map seed re-rolls every.. say... 50 runs more beneficial? lol....

factotum

Diabloii.Net Member
Andrew said:
So... assuming the RNG (i'm assuming this is an acronym for some game mechanics? lol) works in streaks... Would it be possible that new maps always start with good streaks, hence making map seed re-rolls every.. say... 50 runs more beneficial? lol....
RNG = Random Number Generator.

No, they don't always start with "good" streaks. The thing is with random events (even ones that are TRULY random, rather than the pseudo-random ones in Diablo 2) is that they tend to cluster when you look at them over time. For instance, roll a dice 100 times and you are likely to get a run where you roll nothing but 1s or 2s at some point during that 100. This doesn't mean the dice is any less random at those times than it is at other times--it's just a consequence of the laws of Probability (and if there was a god of those, MFers would be praying to him every time they started a game :)).