Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mana?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by MortIIs, Jul 5, 2008.

1. MortIIs

MortIIs IncGamers Member

Mana?

I've noticed that throughout the gameplayvideo several red "globes" drop, that restore parts of the health of the character. I know there's been an awful lot of discussion between the two colours of the barb's and witch doc's mana pool. But their 'mana' seems to restore itself throughout the gameplayvideo. I've also haven't seen one blue "globe" drop during the entire video. Does this mean that the mana, so to speak, regenerates itself? :girly:

2. Mr_Bartuc

Mr_Bartuc IncGamers Member

Re: Mana?

I was under the impression the health and mana regen was very high just to show the main gameplay aspects. I would expect the finished game to be march harder.

3. DylWeed

DylWeed IncGamers Member

I heard somewhere that the Barbarian's Mana pool was replaced with Stamina, which is what feeds his skills.

But this is just what i heard.

4. Ghoulz

Ghoulz IncGamers Member

I hope so, cause the game will be too easy if you can just keep using WW over and over. I bet that place in the video will be much harder when your stamina/mana goes up SLOWLY.

5. slickr

slickr IncGamers Member

No, they've just done so that mana regenerates faster to show off all the spells.
    Mana regeneration would probably be based on energy points and you would also have mana potions.

As far as mana globes, that remains to be seen!

6. patriach owen

patriach owen IncGamers Member

i would hope that EVERY char uses mana/life and not some other stuff... this makes the "contest" for the orbs more fun.. i think it would be cool fighting for orbs :D

7. mince pies

mince pies IncGamers Member

The globes heal all people that are around you and in the same party, so that people aren't fighting for them. On a different note, how did you get 321k - 322k damage on your avatar? :p (I'm assuming it's on closed bnet and not open)

8. phool

phool IncGamers Member

Mana is broken in D2. The ability to supercharge mana simply by drinking mana pots, which are in abundance, as well as throwing an insight on an a2 merc, prevents mana cost being used as an effective counterbalance to skills. With cooldown on pots in D3 mana cost will be able to be used to balance skills, which should add a whole lot more flavour - currently all you can do is give skills that would otherwise be broken cooldowns. In addition, efficient mana use becomes another way to differentiate good and poor players.

I for one hope mana actually matters in D3.

9. cbr

cbr IncGamers Member

Somehow I doubt it will. It's hard to be a big bad killing machine when you have to wait for mana/stamina/whatever to recharge. The designers at WWI seemed pretty into the KEEL KEEL KEEL feel of Diablo, I doubt they'd add something as artificial as no mana to stop the action.

10. sicilian

sicilian IncGamers Member

The thing i found interesting about the two blue globes was that the Barbarian's stamina seemed to be affected more drastically. As in, using his abilities depleted it quickly, but he also regained it quickly.

The WD's mana depleted more slowly, but also replenished slower. So the Barb should be able to fight continuously easier, but will run out of energy quickly durng big fights.

I wonder if they'll have other types of systems for other classes? Have all different colored globes :D

11. NKlint

NKlint IncGamers Member

That'd be neat, but would it really be that much different from mana? Keeping it limited to Stamina, Mana, Fury seems logical. Stamina lets the barbarian use a Stamina based attack, then when his Fury Bar is filled up from that attack he can use a Fury based attack. If I'm inferring correctly I'd bet Stamina increases when you rest and decreases as you attack, while fury increases while you fight and decreases while you rest. Mana should be the resource all casters should use. Maybe they've figured out something I haven't thought of.

12. phool

phool IncGamers Member

Sitting around waiting for mana to recharge would suck... enter energy management skills, most of which would presumably be more pvm based.

13. Loads

Loads IncGamers Member

It might slowly regenerates.

14. Gamekk

Gamekk IncGamers Member

Bashiok said they used a very high mana-regen in the gameplay video just to show every skills available. It will most likely not be like that in the final version.

15. mince pies

mince pies IncGamers Member

If the Barbarian's new mana pool is stamina and the WD's mana, then what would a Hybrid character like a Druid use if one were to be implemented?

16. sicilian

sicilian IncGamers Member

Even subtle differences would add to the diversity of the classes. A few ideas for different types of "mana" pools:

Druid - Natural Mana: Works just like a mana pool, except it has a higher regen rate than mana when outdoors, and a lower regen rate than mana when indoors. If it turns out there's more indoor areas than outdoor, you balance it so the negative is less impactful than the positive, or vice versa.

Amazon/Ranger - Focus: Very slow natural regen, but regular shots made from outside of a certain range increase your focus pool, and shots made from too close decrease it. For special attacks, the cost is increased or decreased based on the range.

Paladin - Divine Power: Again, slow natural regen, but killing undead and demons replenishes your Divine Power pool. For specials, cost is decreased against demons/undead and increased against anything else.