Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

+mana vs mana regen vs +energy items

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by DrunkPikachu, Jul 8, 2008.

1. DrunkPikachu

DrunkPikachu IncGamers Member

+mana vs mana regen vs +energy items

I've started a new blizzballer sorc (currently lvl 16) and having to guzzle down blues has me wondering what item modifier has the best mana returns. All my jewelery has at least +5 to energy each, I've thrown some skulls into my armor for some mana regen, but I was wondering if some of that was pointless.

I've tried to make sense of the mana regen formulas, but I always feel like there's a quirk to it that I might be missing.

2. Morthis

Morthis IncGamers Member

Re: +mana vs mana regen vs +energy items

In terms of gemming, putting saphires in your gear is waaaay better than skulls.

The best way to alleviate the mana issue early on is to stack +mana items.

Usually what I do to make my characters more bearable early on is wear like a 3 socketed psaph bp and 2-3 socketed psaph helm. That'll probably double your mana (and thus your mana regen). Once I outgrow them I put them on a mule for my next character. I normally slot this in low str armor so all my chars can use it without crazy str reqs (you can usually shop for socketables when you hit act 2 normal).

Once you're a little higher up, socketing insight for your merc is another option to pretty much remove mana problems entirely (even chain teleporting is fine if you have some +skills).

Resist the temptation to put points in energy though (unless you're a ES build). You'll regret it later on.

3. DrunkPikachu

DrunkPikachu IncGamers Member

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll be collecting a good deal of sapphires then.

4. theleetpanda

theleetpanda IncGamers Member

If you don't want to invest in early-game gear it isn't THAT bad just to carry around a lot of pots for a while. Once you level a bit and get some semi-decent gear your mana problems will soon be gone, especially if you get a decent insight on your merc. But what I always do for low-level sorcs is simply to carry 3 rows of blue pots and chug them like mad.

Once you can afford it, stuff like frostburns give massive mana boosts that help a lot. Keep in mind that the higher your max mana, the higher your mana regen.