Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mana Vs. Energy

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by TheDancinZealot, Sep 9, 2006.

1. TheDancinZealot

TheDancinZealot IncGamers Member

Mana Vs. Energy

Alright, yet another random question (and likely more, as they come to mind :prop: )

Does it make a bean's amount of difference (since a Bean is a common point of significance) if you choose an item (amulet or ring most likely) that adds mana, or energy, if they both end up being the same amout. Example, a sorceress gets a ring that adds +20 mana, and another that adds +10 energy. Both would add 20 mana, does it make any difference which I choose?

In a perhaps similar vein, does anyone know which factors are taken into effect to decide the mana regrowth rate? Does Class, CLvl, mana amount, energy, or dew point make a difference?

THanks!

2. salvo

salvo IncGamers Member

Energy will add to mana points depends on the type of char you use. Barbarian for example will gain +1 point of mana for a single point invested on energy while sorceress gain +2. That's why generally +mana from items is better.
    Mana regen depends on amount of you mana and %regen you have. It's better to have low %regen but high mana than high%regen but low mana.

edit: this is a complete reference: strategy compendium
    http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=551

3. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

I think the statistics forum has the full equation for mana regen. Have a look in the FAQ/sticky over there.

I don't know the details, but I do know that increasing the amount in your mana pool increases the regen rate. From that standpoint, I don't think there's much difference between +energy and +mana, but as salvo pointed out, it may affect different characters.

4. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

If I'm not mistaken, +mana items get bonuses from things like Battle Orders while +Energy does not. I'm not sure how this works with things like the +%mana from things like Frostburn and the Stone of Jordan. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable will come along shortly with information on that. :smiley:

Of course, you could just equip the different items and see which one gives you more mana in the character screen. :wink3:

5. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

If I remember right, any +% life/mana mods are all summed together, whether they come from skills like Oak Sage and Battle Orders, or from items like Frostburn or Chromatic Ire. They are then applied to the character's life/mana totals.

The life/mana totals to which the +% mods are applied do include all gear mods, except the +% ones (obviously, since those are not yet added), +life/mana per clvl, and +vitality/energy. Thus, if you've got some +% mods, it might make more sense to look for something like +20 to mana rather than +10 to energy. In fact, if you've got Frostburn, that +20 to mana will actually add 28 to mana, whereas the +10 energy will only add 20 (for a sorcy, and less for some classes).

Another somewhat related point is that +vitality gear has no effect on mercs, making +life gear more desirable in most cases.
    That works, too. :)