Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mana leech question

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by rhettmatic, Mar 2, 2004.

1. rhettmatic

rhettmatic IncGamers Member

Mana leech question

It's been a long time since I've played a melee character, and I recently started a concentrate barb. Ive equipped him with 2 manald heals (+9% mana leech total) and his sword has 4% mana leech. But using concentrate i'll completely empty my mana bulb in a few seconds. So basically my question is how exactly does mana leech work and why does it seem that i'm getting no leech whatsoever?

2. Backdoor Bandit

Backdoor Bandit IncGamers Member

It depends on how much dmg you do, but also in what difficulty you are.

Monsters in normal do not have much life, so you dont leech much.

SO: are you playing on hell difficulty?

-Backdoor Bandit

3. sangfagel

sangfagel IncGamers Member

Haw many mana you leach depends on:
    1.Your total ml (it simply adds, so in your case = 13%)
    2. PHISICAL dmg you make - not elemental, not poison, not magical.
    3. Difficulty lvl. In Normal it would be: ph dmg*13/100, and if I recoll it correctly, in NM it´s 1/2 of this amount (ph dmg*13/200) and in hell 1/4 of normal amount (ph dmg*13/400)

If you play in Normal using weapon with average ph dmg 50 and concentrate lvl 1, no mastery, str 100 ---->
    1. Your avg ph dmg = 50*2,7 = 135
    2. Your avg ml = 135*13/100 = 17
    3. You use 2 mana for attack - impossible to run aut of mana.

If you consider a situation in Hell dif with weapon making the same (very low in this case) ph dmg, concentrate lvl 20 and str 200 --->
    1. Your avg ph dmg = 50*4.65 = 232
    2. Your avg ml = 232*13/400 = 10
    3. You use 2 mana for attack - impossible to run aut of mana.

The reason for you problem can be that you kill monsters with VERY low hp. For devilkins in act 1 Norm you can use just a normal attack and it will work. Another reason can be that you use a fast weapon with good elemental dmg but with very low ph dmg.

4. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

It sounds like you may still be quite low level and have a low damage weapon. In the early levels, every character who wants to use their mana using skills needs to drink a lot of mana pots. Consider getting a higher damage sword (which may let you leech more, even though it doesn't have any leech - 9% of 100 is more than 13% of 50, for instance). But if you don't have any, you can rest assured that it's a temporary problem - Concentrate is a cheap skill, and as you get more mana level by level (even without investing anything in energy) and eventually get a more damaging weapon, your mana bulb will always be full (except when facing mana burn bosses) with even a minimal mana leech.

5. Chaldan

Chaldan IncGamers Member

Also, you can't leech from skeletons (perhaps some other undead as well?)

6. sangfagel

sangfagel IncGamers Member

Not from skellys - that´s correct but you can from mumies and all kind zoombies. I´m not sure how it is with ghosts but THEY can leech you for sure :lol: No leech from ph immunes and almost non from stoneskins.