Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Man..So much respect for this man (sports)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by seb, Apr 22, 2008.

1. seb

seb IncGamers Member

Man..So much respect for this man (sports)

Does any1 else have respect for possibly one of the greatest shooting guards of all time. Tracy McGrady. I mean..this guy has had to deal with so many events throughout his career, and he has NEVER been past the first round of the playoffs.
    Get this, when he was with the Orlando Magic in 2003, he and his team were defeating the heavily favored Detroit Pistons 3-1, and he even stated "How sweet it was to finally be in the 2nd round in the playoffs" but guess what..they ended up losing the next 3 games..i mean wow that just has to be a bummer..

Heres a video of him after losing to the Jazz in the 2007 play-offs.

Before you watch the video, i just have to say, this guy is probably the only star player who has so much dedication to basketball, after you watch it you will realize that he is not playing basketball for money, but because its a life-long passion of his..He truly is the greatest player, and i don't mean in talent..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PofsN2LgH0I&feature=related

Sadly..i think this video might repeat itself after the Rockets lost to the Jazz today, making them 0-2..

(P.S.)-notice how when the reporter asks if Tmac needs his teammates to basically step up, Tmac doesnt reply, it takes a true man to stand by his team and not criticize them even if they arent the best, because you know that they are trying just as hard..

I

2. LonghornRob

LonghornRob IncGamers Member

Re: Man..So much respect for this man (sports)

The fool shouldn't have mouthed off that way, especially not against the Detroit Pistons. It is always unfortunate, though, to see great players suffer through their careers without ever winning anything. That's why I'm a partial fan of the Celtics this year. Those big 3 all deserve a title for what they've had to endure.

3. Darkie

Darkie IncGamers Member

Chris Paul is better.

4. LonghornRob

Come back when Chris Paul scores 60 points twice in two weeks (or was it one week?) Tracy MacGrady got the Magic to the playoffs when there was literally no other decent player on their roster. Unless you count Stevie Franchise a decent player.

5. BAMFSpecialOps

BAMFSpecialOps IncGamers Member

Well he does have Franchise is his name...what a better player to build a franchise around?

6. LonghornRob

Hah, his name is Steve Francis, he coined himself Stevie Franchise back when he was a ball hogging PG for Houston. I remember those days, watching my Houston fan friends sigh in sadness each year because they knew Steve Francis could not guide a team through the playoffs. He was like Kobe, except bad at it.

7. Darkie

Darkie IncGamers Member

I'm still not convinced. Chris Paul is also an avid bowler.

8. BobCox

BobCox IncGamers Member

I know what you mean I was hopeing John Elway would get one before he retired and bam 1.2.3.

9. LonghornRob

Yeah, there are quite a few in football also, although it's injuries that do it more often than unsuccessful careers. Take Terrell Davis or Bo Jackson as prime examples of this. Davis got his ring, at least.

10. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

You should see TMac take batting practice.

He could've gone pro in baseball as well.

And Elway retired after #2.

11. LonghornRob

This seems like the Age of the Superstar in the NBA right now. There's no Jordan in the league, but there are more Magics and Larry Birds and John Stocktons than there ever have been it seems. There are so many All-Star guards in the West, for example, that they don't all get the recognition they deserve. Choose the two best PGs in the West right now. Go ahead. Manu Ginobili got no All-Star love, but really, there just wasn't room for him.

12. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

The best shooting guard ever is still Michael Jordan.

13. Dutchman

Dutchman IncGamers Member

I'm not convinced he's a great player, a good player most definitely, but not great.

A great player can carry a team on his own, in Orlando McGrady squeaked into the playoffs as a low seed a few years and then promptly carried his team to last place...... in the east...... in a year when a 36 win team made the playoffs. That's a guy that quit on his team, just as he quit on Toronto where he wasn't satisfied playing second fiddle to Vince Carter. Granted John Salley shouldn't have been satisfied playing second to Vince but still, thats a lousy reason to bail on a team.

In Houston he's finally started to show me what kind of a player he can be, but thats with a fellow all star team mate in Ming. I finally started to feel some respect for the man when he continued to win after Yao went down. That's the sign of a great player.

If he picks his team up out of this 2 game deficit to Utah and wins the series that respect will grow, if he folds as I suspect he will that inkling of respect he gained will disappear. He quits too easily.

Dutch

14. razen

razen IncGamers Member

There is so much "mistakes" about sports knowledge that I was cracking up the whole way through reading.

John Elway going 1, 2, THREE
    Stevie Franchise along side McGrady
    Chris Paul a shooting guard

O man, what is this? A collection of people that never watch sports and only wikipedia when there is a thread on DIABLOII.net about it?

Chris Paul is a point guard.
    Elway didn't win 3.
    Franchise went to Orlando FOR McGrady

classic...

I know the thread doesn't intend to be a Jordan vs Kobe debate, so I will try to steer away from that. (Though come on... GREATEST shooting guard, if not the GREATEST PLAYER ever... and no Jordan? but McGrady?)

Let's put McGrady's "misery" in perspective in a sort of comparison. It's like Bill Roper (I think that's how to spell his name. Maybe the Elway for 3 or Chris Paul as SG people can help me out on that. Make yourself useful) and the entire original D2 Team saying to the Media:

"We are the greatest game developer ever, they can't surround me with enough talent to get us through our jobs."

Honestly, the "events" that he had to go through... are work related. He undoubtedly have a lovely wife, many children, live forever so long as the Hall of Fame exist, and he gone through misery.

I will trade my misery for his misery ANY DAY. I would love to have one of the highest NBA contract and be miserable about it.

What's more disturbing? Not the fact that he complained, but the fact that an ordinary income guy (or collegiate, whatever the heck you are) is putting this guy on a shrine because he "suffered."

But hey, all is well, your own suffering doesn't matter, as long as McGrady wins a championship right?

15. AeroJonesy

Geez. Bitter much?

16. razen

razen IncGamers Member

yes

i also want 15 million a year playing basketball

(p.s. doesn't have to be 15... I will take Half a mil playing basketball. I don't have to feed my family! I don't!!)

17. AeroJonesy

You'd only take half a million a year because you're not worth half a million a year.

18. razen

razen IncGamers Member

exactly, that's why i am not in NBA.

if he is worth that to the league and to his "colleagues" so be it. but hoesntly, i ain't feeling sorry for him because he can't get past the first round.

(p.s. Lebron has nobody, he got all the way to the finals. what does that tell you about Tmac then?)

19. Calcipher

Calcipher IncGamers Member

It tells me that T-Mac should go back to an Eastern Conference team because it's much easier to the finals that way. :laugh:

20. Darkie

Darkie IncGamers Member

I get mad at the internet.