Man in Georgia creates T-shirt... (debate)

Re: Man in Georgia creates T-shirt... (debate)

Because mods got sick of being called names, so they gave us stars. . .not sure how that is any better because they still know what they are being called, the intent is the same, they just don't actually see one of those horrible horrible sets of squiggly lines.

Stevinator

Diabloii.Net Member

Because mods got sick of being called names, so they gave us stars. . .not sure how that is any better because they still know what they are being called, the intent is the same, they just don't actually see one of those horrible horrible sets of squiggly lines.
yeah, but since they aren't AS insulted, it's okay to call them whatever.

Didn't you read the thread? You can be as racist as you want, as much as a jerk as you want, and it's all okay as long as you don't insult any black mods. that's taboo.

/sarcasm

Tanooki

Diabloii.Net Member

There are black mods?!?!

No seriously, are we supposed to know the country/ethnicity/age/sex of each mod?

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member

Sorta on topic.

It seems it is ok to say that you are "100% *** owned and operated", but advertising your business is now directed at straight people is some horrendous offensive act. What else were they supposed to say? Would there still have been an uproar if it had gone the other way and the sign was "Now ***!"?

People need to grow up.

Edit: The stars in the link need to be changed to g, a, and y.
It is offensive. Political correctness doesn't change whether or not things are offensive.

You become thankful that it's censored when you go to the PvP forums.
If they have a problem with the word why not just ban people who use it? The server could use the space...

Jaelen

Diabloii.Net Member

It is offensive. Political correctness doesn't change whether or not things are offensive.
How is it offensive? They aren't saying "No gays allowed". If it wasn't discriminatory or offensive to previously advertise as a *** bar, then why is it offensive to advertise that you are no longer a *** bar? Per the article, they had to change because they weren't getting enough business. They need to inform the public of the change and they used the simple and direct approach. I think anyone who finds this offensive is being overly sensitive.

IntellectSucks

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm upset that you're upset that I'm upset that you're upset that I'm upset THAT YOU'RE UPSET THAT HE'S UPSET!!!!!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member

How is it offensive? They aren't saying "No gays allowed". If it wasn't discriminatory or offensive to previously advertise as a *** bar, then why is it offensive to advertise that you are no longer a *** bar? Per the article, they had to change because they weren't getting enough business. They need to inform the public of the change and they used the simple and direct approach. I think anyone who finds this offensive is being overly sensitive.
I didn't say it's discriminatory, I said it's offensive. As would putting up "100% white owned and operated". You can think whatever you want, doesn't change it being offensive though.

You people seem to have trouble distinguishing offensive from illegal. Both those signs would be legal, but if you think they aren't going to offend people then you have your head up your arse.

The law has to be consistent and objective. What's offensive does not.

I didn't say it's discriminatory, I said it's offensive. As would putting up "100% white owned and operated". You can think whatever you want, doesn't change it being offensive though.

You people seem to have trouble distinguishing offensive from illegal. Both those signs would be legal, but if you think they aren't going to offend people then you have your head up your arse.

The law has to be consistent and objective. What's offensive does not.
So why wasn't it offensive when they advertised as the only "100% *** owned and operated"?

I'm saying it is stupid to get offended over it.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member

What you think is stupid doesn't alter whether or not it's offensive.

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member

Dondrei is saying "it is offensive", and that is coming off differently than I think he intends it. Dondrei is defining "offensive" as something that offends someone, not something that is simply, objectively offensive. Because offense is always experienced on a personal level, this is really the only way to define it.

You don't have to like it, but if you are a business owner, you may have to cater to those who seemingly are way too easily offended, depending on how much power this often vocal subgroup of offended peoples has. Have fun trying to control what other people find offensive. Ain't gonna happen.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member

What does offensive mean objectively? I'd need an example.

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member

That was my point, there is no objective definition of something that is offensive. There are widely accepted things that offend people (anything pertaining to Nazis, for example) but something is offensive because someone was offended. It is about as subjective a thing as is possible.

BobCox2

Diabloii.Net Member

Skunks, Rotting Food, and Feces seem to do it for most of us.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member

That was my point, there is no objective definition of something that is offensive. There are widely accepted things that offend people (anything pertaining to Nazis, for example) but something is offensive because someone was offended. It is about as subjective a thing as is possible.
I read your post too fast.

buttershug

Diabloii.Net Member

I read your post too fast.

Do you know how offensive that is?

People put a lot of time and effort "crafting" the perfect post. They fill it with BS. They carefully choose their words to ensure their message gets out. They agonize over making sure it's clear and unambiguous.
Then you just skim over it not savouring the nuances of their message.

And do we agree that "objective" is not a word that generally describes human behaviour?

WildBerry

Diabloii.Net Member

People put a lot of time and effort "crafting" the perfect post. They fill it with BS. They carefully choose their words to ensure their message gets out. They agonize over making sure it's clear and unambiguous.
Sounds exactly like my Masters.

Which I am handing in next Wednesday. I think I'll finally graduate; publication would be on 6th of June.

Last edited:

Jaelen

Diabloii.Net Member

Dondrei is saying "it is offensive", and that is coming off differently than I think he intends it. Dondrei is defining "offensive" as something that offends someone, not something that is simply, objectively offensive. Because offense is always experienced on a personal level, this is really the only way to define it.

You don't have to like it, but if you are a business owner, you may have to cater to those who seemingly are way too easily offended, depending on how much power this often vocal subgroup of offended peoples has. Have fun trying to control what other people find offensive. Ain't gonna happen.
What you say is of course true. But to say 'It's offensive because someone was offended" is counterproductive to the discussion. I am not so daft as say no one was offended when clearly several people were. The main point I was trying to make was that anyone offended by the sign was being unreasonable or overly sensitive.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member

And do we agree that "objective" is not a word that generally describes human behaviour?
I agree, but that's just my opinion.

I skipped the first part of your post.

What you say is of course true. But to say 'It's offensive because someone was offended" is counterproductive to the discussion. I am not so daft as say no one was offended when clearly several people were. The main point I was trying to make was that anyone offended by the sign was being unreasonable or overly sensitive.
It's not so much someone. I'm sure you can find some kooks who are offended by just about anything.