Male Wizards.

melianor

D3 Wizard Moderator
Re: Male Wizards.

Yeah I was hoping they keep the asian style.
Something occurred to me when looking at the wizard trailer again.

If you look at the Wizard Trailer and see the closeup of the female wizard, before facing the Skeleton King, most of the Asian style is actually not there! The only point where the characters face appears like that is on the official site where you see the full body character animation!

Nowhere else, not even in the artwork you will spot any kind of Asian looking face features. So i guess the animation on the official site is just from a damn unlucky angle, like so many views also during the wizard trailer. Sometimes her face features look Asian and then again not. It's hard to decide at some spots.

MrSnaps

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, I've been pondering the Male Wizard's looks and I came to a conclusion that...

Male Wizard needs a beard and has to be older than this 24-year guy.
Balding is a huge plus.
:whistling:

I like their look /shrug

Jedouard

Diabloii.Net Member

I think it’d be hilarious - for those of you asking for Samuel L. Jackson - if Blizzard gives you Mr Glass from Unbreakable. You couldn’t really do anything but sabotage random public transportation and if you ever bump into anything, all your bones break. That’d be awesome.

Oh yeah, and all your dialogues would ever be about is comic books.

On a more serious note (but not really), maybe when they select the voice actors for each language, they could choose whatever that culture believes is stereotypical voice is for that char.

AtomicJ said that in China big beefy dudes are often associated with effeminate homosexuals. They could do a Chinese version of Conan O’Brien’s Thor parody.

Last edited:

Sulle

Diabloii.Net Member

wizard should be like Vin Diesel but with a beard. Different is not always a good thing.

elvewyn

Diabloii.Net Member

So basically they made the wizards Asian for sales reasons. And that's also why the male wiz is young and anime-style; so the all the koreans and chinese and japanese blizz wants to buy d3 will have a char to play who looks like them. Plus the mage play style seems to be very popular in Korea; I recall Sorcs dominating the asian D2 ladders back in the day; more so than the sorcs did on any of the US or EU ladders.
I personally think it's a good move to appeal more to the asian market. I'm a female from Taiwan and I've always played casters and tired of the whole old Gandalf type wizards. The new young asian models are attractive to me even if they could have been less plain.

But I think they should have done more research on Asian MMORPGs which had more anime styles than the ones in D3. They tend to be very colourful.

Or research on Asian dramas which generally portrays the beauty standard women in Asia prefer their men to look when portrayed in the medieval era.

WhiteGiant

Diabloii.Net Member

i dont have a problem with the archetype - i even encourage breaking those archetypes and create new stuff - however the icon portray looks very generic (including a general sense of mimic , which inherents character )- and kinda soft.

i would have liked something like this more :

all were drawn from the same person - he goes by the nick Zhang Lu - he is a Chinese freelance Artist / Illustrator .
his portraits are outstanding - esspecially if you consider that he does not use a reference.

Cable

Diabloii.Net Member

I like their look /shrug
I agree. I like the Male Wizard look.

My Wizard character will be Male too -- after hearing his voice in the beta, I think of him as he was intended to be thought of: a young arrogant prodigy.

Reminds me of House and Holmes. I can already tell I'm going to like playing as the Male Wizard.

Hokuto no Ken

Diabloii.Net Member

from what i heard about wizards in the D3 fluff is they are suppose to be young and arrogant and dabbling in spells that the mages and sorcerers are afraid of using.

anyways... who is going to be playing a male wizard over the female just because Crispin Freeman is voicing him? I know i am.

Sulle

Diabloii.Net Member

I am gonna make a melee battlemage and yes I am going to make a male aswell. "You dare attack me!" lol :d

Hokuto no Ken

Diabloii.Net Member

im tempted to make him a battlemage as well... might name him Gannayev of Dreams.... just because. +1 to anyone who gets that reference. Though im sure i wont have the character space for it, so Gannayev it is ;)