Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Male/female character customization

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by potyondi, Jul 10, 2008.

1. potyondi

potyondi IncGamers Member

Male/female character customization

I can see it now. Female characters being harassed and hit on by male characters. Male players creating female characters for attention and the male players who accidentally hit on them. Is that ***? Who knows any more in this brave new world. Female players who create male characters in order to avoid being hit on, but who then have to convince others that they're not actually guys when they want to be recognized as female. Female players equipping their characters based on their in-game appearance: 'Does this armour make my butt look fat?'

The horror, the horror.

EDIT: forums censor a 3-letter word beginning with G and ending in Y.

2. Sein Schatten

Sein Schatten IncGamers Member

Re: Male/female character customization

I see no relevance for knowing the gender with whoever I play nor what gender the character has.

3. CarsV

CarsV Banned

Please tell what the point of this topic is, because I'm not seeing it.

4. ColtFourFive

ColtFourFive IncGamers Member

There are lots of RPGs and MMORPGs that had gender customization, and I never remember it coming up as a topic of importance. Perhaps a topic of humor, but certainly just lighthearted stuff and no harrassment.

GW had different genders, and no one was ever bothered by it. Hopefully the d2 community wouldn't be phased by it either.

5. yukisho

yukisho IncGamers Member

I don't know about you, but I will play a female if it's an assassin/rogue, sorceress, or archer/amazon. I categorize my characters sex to it's job class. If it's not a brute force combat class, then it's a female. Like WoW, my rogue was a female and my paladin was a male.

6. CarsV

CarsV Banned

This is nothing new, and frankly the things the OP mentions are only things my 14 year old cousin would consider. It's just as easy to make a feminine name for a character in D2 or simply act girly. Now you can choose gender, nothing new... virgins will act like virgins. "No wai, there's a female in our party."

7. yukisho

yukisho IncGamers Member

Exactly. Take my name for example. Yukisho is used for my main male character and Yukishi is used for my main female character. Although I do make up all of the names I use. I don't like names like RF-ImAtOoL That is just annoying and shows kids creativity.

8. potyondi

Ah yes, I forgot for a moment how mature we all are. My mistake, carry on.

9. Darkoooo

Darkoooo IncGamers Member

Indeed... I'd usually report the post, but since no one is moderating the new D3 forums...

10. Spookie

Spookie IncGamers Member

Nothing wrong with a li'l humor ;)

11. Erikje

Erikje IncGamers Member

I think not all characters could be two genders. Imagine a amazon or rogue male.
    I think its not part of the diablo world....

12. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

you and me both. when creating characters i tend to use what they are are a basis for what sex i make them, unless its a mmo game. my first char in a mmo game is always female. why do you ask? cause i am given so much free stuff just cause something thinks they are grouped with a chick. i never tell them i am a girl they just assume it(i did once actually in SWG. female entertainer i made a ton of cash that way lol). i guess you can say this is pretty sad, infact even i think it is but whatever i get free stuff :jig:

13. potyondi

Hahaha, you see? DO YOU SEE!? :thumbup:

14. Sein Schatten

I tend to avoid people like him. And, I am lucky, I have yet to encounter one. Maybe it is because I play on europe servers? Dunno.

15. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Actually we are.

The report button does summon a Moderator, if we don't find the problem on our own.

16. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

you would have to play a mmo to run into me doing that lol. still like i said, people assume you are a girl for some reason if you are playing a female char so i just took the freebies lol

17. toppknott

toppknott IncGamers Member

Male/female customization? You bet.

I support male/female options for each class and I like to think it is a positive statement about equality. I strongly dislike when, in roleplaying games, women are typecast as healers and magic users, and men are the warriors. It gets stale fast, especially if you are a creative thinker. With women of all classes on board, roleplaying and stories will be able to branch out in a huge way.

If women were actually less capable, there'd be no choice but male for the warrior class in WoW. To play no strong females on the basis of class turns a blind eye to the achievements of which women are more than capable. That's why there are new options in D3.

It's kind of ironic when a man feels he has to pretend to be a woman to get rich.

18. ultrasupreme

ultrasupreme IncGamers Member

Heh, diablo 2 broke that. When you see a sorc or an amazon, atleast I would never think it's a girl, because he/she had no choice in gender.

19. Sein Schatten

I play MMORPGs. I have accumulated quite a bit of online-time. But, as I said, getting pestered by young kids because you are a female char is quite rare. Not to mention you would have to behave like a girl and talk like you are a newb girl to get items. I highly doubt, nay, I am 100% sure, nobody gives you all their belongings the second they see you. That is why I said you would go to /ignore the instant I notice such behaviour. And, I say it again, such things never happened while I was playing.

20. Stafir

Stafir IncGamers Member

Wow..you must play in some very rare MMORPGs. I've been playing online games of one sort or another for quite awhile myself. And I VERY often see preferential treatment of those with female avatars. Often not even needing to ask, people just see a female and immediately treat differently. Ask a question? Female chars will often get it answered faster. need help on a quest? Female chars get help faster. Need an item for some reason..or just have poor gear and others somehow find out? Female chars will get stuff thrown at them. This is rather..common forsome odd reason. and the best way to get free stuff is to just go around as a female. You don't even need to be asking for it..just go out there, minding your own business and gifts will still be given.