Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Making my first poison necro.

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by UManTarget, Jun 5, 2005.

1. UManTarget

UManTarget IncGamers Member

Making my first poison necro.

Well I've been playing necro's for a long time, and surprisingly I've never made a venomancer. I guess summoners and bonemancers are just too much fun :yep:
    I've read the venomancer guide(s) here and I have a general idea of what I'm going to do.

I'll start with stats first.

This is a softcore ladder char btw.
    Stats:
    Str: 78-93 (enough for gear)
    Dex: none
    Vit: whatever doesn't go to str
    Nrg: none

Skills:

PnB
    Poison dagger: Max
    Poison explosion: Max
    Poison nova: Max
    Teeth: 1 pt
    Corpse explosion: 1 pt
    Bone armor: 1 pt
    Bone wall: 1-5 pts
    total 64-68

Summon
    Skeleton mastery: 1 pt
    Revive: 1 pt
    5 pts for pre reqs to revive
    total 71-75

Curses
    1 pt in all curses
    Lower resist: 10 pts
    total 90-95

With all skill quests done, that brings me to lvl 78-83. If I ever get past lvl 83 I'll spend the extra point in either bone wall/lower res/dim vision.

Gear:
    Helm: Shako
    Armor: Bramble (If I can ever cube that ohm)
    Shield: Trang's
    Belt: Trang's
    Gloves: Trang's
    Boots: Rare with good lightning res (If I can find one without faster run)
    Weapon: Death's web
    Rings: BK ring, and 15% res all ring
    Ammy: mara's

Charms: charms are mostly geared towards resists.

Merc: I'll most likely go with a prayer merc using insight. I've had great success with that combo on sorc's and since I'll be putting no points into energy, I'll need lots of mana regen. With insight I'll be able to spam poison novas all day long. So merc will look like this:

Weapon: Insight polearm (eth cV)
    Armor: Duress (once I find a decent eth 3 os armor)
    Helm: Vamp gaze (for leech and dr%) switching to andy's at lvl 83

Socketing my gear will depend on my resists in hell. I shouldn't have a problem with fire/cold/poison since the 3 pieces of trang's set have lots of that. But I'll be hurting for lightning res. I'd also like to socket some of my gear with poison facets. If I can get a facet and if my resists aren't too bad in hell.

I know some of you will suggest bone prison over bone wall, but I'd rather go with wall for this build. It's fine for my bone necro to become trapped in his own prison (Don't think it can't happen to you!)with a monster(s), but he's got a huge offensive spell to help him survive.

Basically the playing style of my venomancer will be hiding behind his small army of revives, dealing out heaping helpings of poison damage, cursing all the while.

Any ideas that you have are welcome. I hope to have a lot of fun with this build.

2. Goth De Luse

Goth De Luse IncGamers Member

try this......

try,

stats
    str-100(for the best armour)
    dex-100(for dagers)
    Vit-200+
    eng-168(more or less)

strenth,ull want 100 for a 3 socket archon plate with bramble(Ral+Ohm+Sur)
    its has +100% poison skill damge(wow!! :clap: )lvl 15-21 thorns aura when on

dager-Black bogs sharp(+4 dager +3 poision xp +2-1 poision nova)and a butt load of Poision damge

Humonculis-(+2 all)

Venomus ammy(+3 poision bone)

SOJ(x 2)(+1 to all each)

Marow walk boots

etc.

i sugest learning skellys to with ur extra points,to balince out(poision+normal damege)

skills-
    dagger-20
    poision xp-20
    poision nova-20
    teeth-1
    corse xp-1
    skelly-20
    skelly mastery-20
    golem mastery-1
    clay golem-1
    summon resist-the rest......

well,tell me what u think!

3. UManTarget

Well since trang's helm gives +25 to str so I'll be able to reach the 103 str req for an archon armor.

I'll be using nova as my main skill and not dagger, so I won't need any dex.

168 is way too much for energy, with an insight merc I won't need to spend anything in energy.

Bramble requires a 4 socket armor, and gives +25-50% poison damage (though I'll settle for rolling anything above 40%)

Homunculus is a great necro shield, but trang's shield will give an addtional -25% monster poison res when worn with 2 other trang items.

A +3 pnb ammy would give me more poison damage, but I prefer maras for it's 20-30% res all and +2 all skills (which will add to my curses and revives)

I prefer a bk ring to an soj, since I'll be using insight there will be no need for extra mana.

As for using skellies, I'd rather not. I've used revives in the past (on my bonemancer) and found them to be very effective as meat shields. You have to recast them often, but I'll have no shortage of corpses to do so.

Thanks for your thoughts

4. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Wall could use a bit more. It is rather frail atm in Hell. LR could use a bit less since diminishing returns kick in hard and fast, but at the same time I can see why you would want to pump it. It is the only means of breaking immunities. The rest looks good.

5. UManTarget

Wall is a bit fragile, but with all end game gear I'll have roughly +18 pnb skills Hopefully that will give it a bit more staying power. And with an insight merc I can afford to spam it. (If merc doesn't die) :hanky:

I will be putting more than usual in LR (10), but I'll most likely be playing in quite a few parties, and it's a great party curse. I'll be putting points in LR only after I've gotten all the poison skills fully synergized, so I'll be able to see the diminishing returns as I'm leveling. You may be right in saying I'm putting too many points there.

Another question to pose to all those necro guru's out there. Would it be worth the 2 point investment to get 1 point in golem mastery and summon resist? Do revives really need res?

6. Goth De Luse

Goth De Luse IncGamers Member

g

well they do last a lot longer,in hell they hand elle damge out like candy to the mnsters

7. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

marrowalks are great for several reasons.
    +(1-2) skellie mastery
    str/dex bonuses
    lvl33 boneprison which synergizes both bonewall and bone armor.
    This makes you live longer, and safer.
    Thats what I'd use.

And also, raising the dex just for using daggers is a waste, since deaths web is much better than blackbogs, just no matter what.
    The -%res is too good to replace :)

8. Mad Mantis

It should do nicely then.

9. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

It should work. I'll bet you'll like 1/20 in skeletons better than revives and a weak bonewall without Enigma though but that's straight out of the guide so I can't blame you for wanting to be different. You'll love what poison, a well-equipped merc, and some summons can do for you on Hell cows. It's unbelievable.

Oh and don't even touch energy unless you're not rushing your character want an easier time of it before you get all your gear. Death's Web gives plenty back every time a bunch of monsters fall to your poison or corpse explode.

10. Madcat

Madcat IncGamers Member

There is 1 skill that has not been mentioned and I think it is vital to a Venomancer, Fire Golem. I have this build and with a Fire Golem it is amazing in how many times he has gotten the final vit point that is left over from my poison. Remember that he has Holy Fire and the range is enough to kill. However against casters, Auradins, and Zons I have a hard time. Some FRW charms and alot of running around does the trick, for me at least.

11. hoh_majestic

hoh_majestic IncGamers Member

i have recently made a poison mancer
    here is what i went with

stats
    str 30/base if using anni
    dex 180ish for max block (rethinking this infavour of using spirit)
    vita 300+
    energy none

skills

max psn dagger
    max psn explosion
    max psn nova
    5 into lower resists
    1 into attract
    1 in bone armor (only 10 dmg per lvl vs 15 from sinergys)
    maxing bone wall last
    morrow walks for lvl 33 bone armor sinergy boost
    and all pre reqs of course

items
    6 pnb gc + anni
    5res all sc's and 5% fhr sc's
    trangs gloves
    shako( looking for a nice fcr necro helm)
    -54/2/2 (-5/5) deaths web
    morrow walks
    2x fcr rings since i find 8k dmg is more than enough
    maras
    spider
    homocus umed
    6bo cta and dragon shield on switch for pulse kill

considering the use of trang belt and shield for breaking a few really tough immunities in act 4-5 hell

12. Mad Mantis

You can also just cast Nova again or use Teeth.

13. LorveN

Teeth usually works great, since it also is a part of the poison/bone skill tree. Most psnnecros have quite a bit +skills in this tree, so a lvl1 teeth will evolve into well over lvl10 in most cases.
    This means there are many teeth flying out, covering major parts of the screen. Very hard to dodge for a ground-based character (not teleporting), and they also travel both long and fast, swinging from side to side making them harder to dodge. Nova means you will have to get closer

14. UManTarget

Fire golem's holy fire also tends to draw in monsters from off screen, which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on where you are.

hoh_majestic I'm just wondering why you've got some caster gear on? Poison nova's poison damage is distrubuted over 2 seconds. If you can another nova within those 2 seconds, the damage won't stack, it will just start over. I don't think I'll need any fcr gear for this build.

15. LorveN

teleport without any fcr is painfully slow though