Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Making merc sturdier

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Ergroilnin, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Ergroilnin

Ergroilnin Diabloii.Net Member

Hello,

I'd like to ask for opinions and help about the survival of my merc. I'm playing 1.13 btw,

At the moment I am running CS at /p8 with my highest, strongest character - 95 lvl hammerdin with all the stuff like enigma, hoto, hoz, arachnids, cta switch etc, killing all three seals and the big D mostly for the drops and "baal" gcs for rerolling and so far I do not have any problems with killing speed and dying on the paladin himself.

However I cannot say the same for my merc, he dies like 1/4 of time at de seis and basically when it happens, it's instaneous and I cannot save him with rejuv. It's HF one with eth 6 crit insight thresher, non eth andariels with jewel to offset the negative fire res on it and non eth archons fortitude.

At the moment I do not have eth versions of either, however I have cube eth bugged 4 slot sacred armor that could be made fortitude for higher defense on mercs once I get another Lo. Would that help or would it be a waste? Is there any combination of another helmet and armor, that would make him more sturdy? The only thing I need to keep on him is the Insight because I hate gulping down mana pots all the time. Also I don't know if it would be adviseable but either way I do not want to use Delirium, because I'd get really annoyed with the occasional game crashing during jab doll change.

Thanks beforehand.

2. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

I used GA/Kira/Reaper's. Honestly, I suspect that it is your gameplay that is at fault, not your equipment. Most of the danger (except De Seis) is elemental. Check the footage below of my hammerdin (two different running formats), Grape's, and Cyrax's. We all reached 99 in CS with our builds. Regarding my own, notice that I draw the minion and then bomb De Seis. Grape, you will notice, bombs the pack instead.

Mine:

Grape's:

Cyrax's:

3. Reyz

Reyz Diabloii.Net Member

I´m doing exactly the same as you at the moment and have never felt the need for a merc at all - haven´t used one since the one you get for free as a quest reward in A1.

Insight might be a nice advantage I guess, but Redemption should be enough to recover your mana in most cases anyway. Would consider just ditching your mercenary for good and you don´t have to struggle any further with reviving or wasting potions on him.

4. ffs

ffs Diabloii.Net Member

I'm a big fan of the Andy/eth bugged Forti setup. Yes De Seis is a pain in the butt and I just always opt to babysit the Merc there, teleporting him to a safe position if surrounded. If you can use an eth bugged Fortitude that will improve his defense quite a bit though in conjunction with the Shiver Armor CTC. In any case I honestly doubt there's a setup that allows Merc to face tank De Seis. ;)

5. darkstarhub

darkstarhub Diabloii.Net Member

I usually port away from DeSeis to get my Merc from getting mauled after I cast static field to get him down. After that I can cast fireball or Orb and port around while doing it to keep him safe. He is equipped with the typical Andy’s, Fortitude, and eth Thresher Insight.

For the most part I’ve been doing Vizier/Infector runs so I don’t worry about DeSeis, but I will do some full clears because I need some of the Diablo essences for respecs. Big D usually gets the Merc fairly quick with the Lightning hose though. I know it’s not a HAmmerdin, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to put my two cents in.

6. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

Set game to p1 for the deSeis seal

7. Ergroilnin

Ergroilnin Diabloii.Net Member

Well thanks you all guys for the input. I decided to make the second Fortitude in the cube bugged sacred armor and it did help with the De Seis tons, he still gets basically OHKO occasionally but it's happening way less now and I needed forti purely for merc too anyway for those meele chars that need the archon forti for themselves.