Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Making Hammerdin, need help on everything pretty much. ifr

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by bobbyjr, Nov 4, 2006.

1. bobbyjr

bobbyjr Diabloii.Net Member

Making Hammerdin, need help on everything pretty much.

Well, I have thoughts as to the gear I'm going to use and I came up with:

Shako
    HOTO
    Seraph ammy / Mara's
    Raven Frost/SOJ
    ARACHNID
    Sandstorm Trek
    Magefist
    Enigma Dusk
    HOZ

Anni, ptorch, blah blah.

now I just need to know what skills to max. My friend told me to max

Blessed Hammer (obviously)
    Blessed aim
    Vigor
    Concentration
    And put the rest in prerequisites and Holy shield.

Sound okay? (yes i am a noob at making good characters :p )

2. comicalflop

comicalflop Diabloii.Net Member

You've got it pretty much all there. Few addendums:

Don't really need Ravenfrost too much; in the end the only helpful mod is +15-20 dex, because cannot be frozen does not affect a caster's casting speed. So another SOJ or some other rare ring with godly stats is preferable. The +stats on anni/ptroch should make up for the loss of 15-20 dex, but honestly with holy shield attaining max block isn't too hard.

Mara's, not seraphs, Maras is better with more resists and + 2 skill which boosts BO from CTA.

you reach the 75% fcr bp, which is good. However, I personally favor the spirit pally shield way more, for overall more damage, 55% FHR, potentially way more resists sans fire, and reaching 12% fcr bp with a few gear changes I prefer 125% because I love fast casting, but 75 is not bad- you will notice a slight difference in teleporting however.

A Hammerdin, despite being the cookie cutter paladin (besides smiter/zealot) requires skill, specifically in aiming. teleport removes this hurdle for hitting single targets, but with more than one target it takes practice. Practice until you know the exact place to teleport to hit all/most monsters.

People debate about an insight mercenary (act 2 merc with insight polearm) since redemption technically takes care of that, but since a holy freeze desert guard with an elite eth insight will kill things on his own well anyways, and there are only three monsters in the game that you can't kill, then the merc is there only to provide two auras- holy freeze and insight. meditation makes your mana infinite- as low as a lvl 12 meditation will keep you casting, even if surrounded by mana burn monsters.

I think that's all. Oh, you can't do ubers, but you can do every MF spot, and all key runs (not organ runs however.) Plus great for rushing, baaling, pvp, etc.

3. bobbyjr

bobbyjr Diabloii.Net Member

Oh, okay. I was just wondering about the teleing part with the monster hitting. I'm kind of confused about that. Is it teleport then cast? Or is it cast then tele? And for the merc, which type? offensive or defensive? I'm still trying to understand the mercenary thing as well as how to work the hammerdin to kill things.

EDIT: I was also wondering about my stat allocation. Friend told me base ene, and lots of vit. But I don't know how much dex or str to put.

4. HotHeaded

HotHeaded Diabloii.Net Member

as far as stat points go i put all of mine in to vit. if you get some str charms/rings/ammy this should help a lot. do you play alone or with friends? i had a friend rush me and i baaled until lvl 75 which gave me anni and torch so it wasn't that hard for me to equip gear. as far as mana and dex you get enough from the gear to be ok. if you can do what i did it's 100% vit for the stat points but keep some in reserve just in case. there's not much worse than needing 1 more str point and having no extra charms or stat points to help out. good luck!

5. bobofuzzlymunky

bobofuzzlymunky Diabloii.Net Member

i do this to like every thread... list my char. lol

Helm- Um'd Shako (duh?)
    Ammy- Seraph's (as mine didnt need any more res, the +2skill helps [whats the deal with the comment saying seraphs doesnt help bo?]and the +2 defensive auras helps salvation/redemption (i do chaos runs)
    Armor- 1k+ Mage Plate Nigma (wicked low str require, tele, skills, high defense)
    Weapon- 37Hoto (...duh?)
    Shield- 45res Base 32fcr Spirit Royal shield. (hoz gets pwnt by this)
    Belt- Arach (+1skillz, fcr)
    Ring1- fcr ring with str/dex
    Ring2- fcr ring with 84mana/resists
    Gloves- Magefist (fcr... i spose trangs are usable)
    Boots- 40%mf Wartravs (eh, had them laying around)
    SWITCH- 5bocta+spirit
    ptorch, anni, life charms...etc.

my only advice would be to drop the hoz+ ravenfrost. :thumbsup:

6. Apophis

Apophis Banned

everything its nice but you could change the shield with a sacred targe for block and more def, its nicer

7. gorash

gorash Diabloii.Net Member

finding a 45 res base ST is hard to find in ones life so a 45 res base royal is pretty good :)
    hammerdins anyways have enough def so the def on the base shield isn't really that important espically when HS is activated.

u can also use a hoz for a 125 fcr build, but just swap out of the shako for a 2/20/2 type circlet with str, res, etc :)

another thing u could try to get is a 3HS cta :)

8. bobofuzzlymunky

bobofuzzlymunky Diabloii.Net Member

i know i could have used a sacred targe, but as gorash knows, i found a 45res 4os ST before, sold it for a cool 17hr (this was like my 3rd week on ladder, i needed the funds)