Making an Infinity.

LD50

Diabloii.Net Member
Making an Infinity.

Hello people!

So yeah, I have two Bers. They are originally announced here and here (I have to admit I’m quite happy that I didn’t find them running LK). Thus far I've been reluctant to use them for anything. Maybe some finn more literate than me can explain it, but "en ole raaskinut käyttää niitä". Anyway, I figure since there are two of the Bers, and I really enjoy Sorceresses, AND I just matted a LF/FA Zon, Infinity would seem a reasonable way to go. Or, of course I could always make a CoH, and then reroll if it's not good :p

There's just a slight problem with choosing the weapon to make the Infinity in. I don't want to limit such an expensive Runeword to only be usable by mercs, so it's not going to be ethereal. After careful consideration, I'm almost certain that I will make the Infinity in this:

Superior Great Poleaxe
Two-Hand Damage: 46 to 127
Durability: 60 of 61
Required Dexterity: 99
Required Strength: 179
Required Level: 63
Polearm Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 85
Fingerprint: 0x529b6766
+3 to Attack Rating
Increase Maximum Durability 10%
Socketed (4: 0 used)

I'm using a Great Poleaxe because:

1) GPA has a range of 5, Thresher has 2. GiantThresher would also have 5, though.
2) The difference in speed between GPA and threshers is not that much. I played with the german speed calc and it looks like a paladin with zeal needs 23 ias for 7 fpa with thresher. With GPA its 39 IAS. 6 frames is 60/83 IAS. With regular attack the difference is even less, due to fpa being higher. Same goes for other classes of course.
3) GPA only needs in total a few stat points more than a Thresher. Also, it requires less dex, which is useless since you don’t have a shield.
4) Scythes belong to farmers (and Reapers).
5) I don’t have a 4os Giant Thresher.

I did have a look at previous threads about Infinity, and there was some good points. But hey, you don't make Infinity every day so let's do this one more time, shall we? So now, I would like the infinite wisdom and creativity of this forum to back me up on this. Have I looked at this from all angles? Would it still be better to make a Beast and a CoH? Anything you want to say? Thank you for your input.

-LD

Corrupted

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Making an Infinity.

On which characters would you rather wear it yourself than on your merc and why?

galzohar

Diabloii.Net Member

While I hadn't found any reliable info on it, I've been trying to keep track of my sorc's weapon durability and it seems to not go down at all. But then again the rest of her gear doesn't get damaged much so it's not exactly a reliable proof that weapons don't get damaged if you're not swinging them.

Anyway infinity is really a merc thing, unless you have a bunch of -resist gear on top of it you still probably want another attack for immunes and no build would really want to actually use that over +skills. Gearing a merc is not hard - cruel war pike with 2Xamn (if I have 2, anyone can do it ;p) and a tal's mask (if I have 4 of those, anyone can as well) and high defense armor of choice. That kind of merc, while still killable, will probably increase your killing speed when he's alive more than he'll decrease it by not having infinity on the rare occasions where he cannot be kept alive (such as aura+curse mobs or whatever).

Ethreal merc weapon if you ask me.

LD50

Diabloii.Net Member

On which characters would you rather wear it yourself than on your merc and why?
It's actually a hard question. If I wear it myself, I get full benefit from the enemy light res -x property, but with casters, wielding it myself would take away A LOT of skills, and hence killpower.. So, casters will have it on a merc, with melee'ers, I would want to keep it myself. Especially on the Holy Shock Avenger. :wink2:

galzohar

Diabloii.Net Member

I wouldn't base such decisions on something like a "holy shock avenger". After all, single-target attackers get boring faster than builds that can kill multiple monsters.

wakiki

Diabloii.Net Member

Wouldn't that superior weapon be very expensive to repair if used on a player character? Or is that only the case with enhanced damage superiors?

Explopyro

Banned

It's increased durability superiors, as well as items with staffmods, that get the crazy repair costs as far as I know...

LD50

Diabloii.Net Member

Yes, the repair cost is something that worries me. Of course you can repair with Orts, but will it get tedious to get the Orts? Will I need to have a Countess runner going all the time. It is a shame that I don't have a plain 4os one.. Maybe I should still wait for one...

@galzohar: I don't have an avenger yet, I just meant it as an example of a melee build, because they usually need good base weapon damage (which this wep would have).

Jingizu

Banned

@galzohar: I don't have an avenger yet, I just meant it as an example of a melee build, because they usually need good base weapon damage (which this wep would have).
Your future avenger will be happy wielding some fast and high damage weapon (there are quite a lot of them, very cheap comparing with infinity), and your merc would provide your with conviction...

I am also interested in number of your shieldless melee chars, having 180 str, who will extremely benefit from conviction. I think you will be quite limited...

kanonfutter

Diabloii.Net Member

I'll send you a 4os GPA, if you're not selffound. It would be downright stupid not to be able to repair the highest impact piece of equipment you have due to 10% increased durability.

LD50

Diabloii.Net Member

@Jingizu: Yes I know this would not be THE weapon for an avenger (or anything really), it's just that if I have it, it would be nice to try out something. So basically it's going to be used primarily with casters on their merc, but I want the option to use it with whatever.

@kanonfutter: Thanks, but I am selffound.

*sigh* I guess I'll have to wait for the plain 4os GPA, or just use the Thresher. Any comments on the choice between those two? The german speed calc says that with no IAS, A2 merc will have 0,5 fpa faster attack with a Thresher, and the IAS BP's are pretty close.

zerth

Diabloii.Net Member

Personally, I'd user an eth Thresher/CA any day. There aren't any melee builds that can really benefit from an Infinity. Taking into account the other available options anyway. Keep it on the merc is what I say, or use on a caster who will never swing the thing at a monster anyway (plus it will look cooler and have lesser reqs).

LD50

Diabloii.Net Member

Hi again, and sorry to resurrect such an old thread (and my own)...

Anyway, I finally managed to find that 4os Great Poleaxe, and regardless of everyone saying I should go for an eth Thresher, I went for the GPA. Call me whatever you want, but I now got my very own Infinity. :smug: Good roll too! :thumbsup:

Already took it for a test drive on the merc of my LFzon and boy, is it something :crazyeyes:

Infinity
Great Poleaxe
Two Hand Damage: 190 - 525
Durability: 44 of 55
Required Level: 63
Required Strength: 179
Required Dexterity: 99
Fingerprint: 0x41c0460c
Item Level: 85
Version: Expansion 1.10+
Properties:
314% Enhanced Damage
35% Faster Run/Walk
Level 12 Conviction Aura When Equipped
50% Chance to cast level 20 Chain Lightning when you Kill an Enemy
Level 21 Cyclone Armor (30/30 Charges)
45 to Vitality (Based on Char Lvl)
-51% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
40% Chance of Crushing Blow
Prevent Monster Heal
30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
4 Sockets (4 used)
Socketed: Ber Rune
Socketed: Mal Rune
Socketed: Ber Rune
Socketed: Ist Rune

Thyiad

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Beautiful! Congratulations and the obligatory "gieb". :)

EDIT @ below:
You can never have too many.;) :p

Last edited:

LD50

Diabloii.Net Member

What do you mean "gieb"? I thought you already had one?

Pijus

Diabloii.Net Member

Theres is some guy on some other forum who wrote a guide on chargers. His favorite is the conviction running charger. He also wrote a guide on prayer+pdr paladin.

So there you go! A prayer(running cleansing or meditation ofc) charger swinging the infinity!

ironbarb

Diabloii.Net Member

Nice, congrats!

I saw you mentioned a HS avenger, but how about a HS zealot? Though it would need treachery to actually be of any speed. Treachery + Goldwrap + any ias glove + jewel of fervor in helm = 6fpa zeal with fully synergised Holy Shock. Hmm?

Neksja

Diabloii.Net Member

What do you mean "gieb"? I thought you already had one?
Since Thy already has one, you can gieb it to me.

congrats and I think you made a right choice, non-eth and GPA, I'd pick the same :thumbup:

kanonfutter

Diabloii.Net Member

Big grats on the stick. I'd use non-etheral if I had the runes as well, because even though I might not be able to think up a build right now, I would absolutely hate coming up with the perfect build and not being able to use the stick.

Go kill some