Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Making an 200 fcr LK sorc. Participate please.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Causa, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Causa

Causa Diabloii.Net Member

Hi.

I decided to level a new sorc for Lower Kurast runs. Will propably use her to other errants also but Idea is to find great LK map and run thousands of times those super chests.

I will respec her once I get to LK running and would really like to hear ideas about gear and also about build.
    200 FCR is the goal as is survivability since I play on HC. Spirit shield takes blocking away so it's vita all the way I guess?

Gearwise I'm considering [fcr]:
    Wizardspike [50]
    Spirit shield [35]
    Rings [20]
    Arachnic mesh [20]
    Circlet (20fcr, 20 energy, 38CR) [20] <-- only fcr helm I got :(
    Amulet 30 allres [10]
    Vipermagi armor [email protected] [30]
    Gloves, Trang or Magefist [20]
    Boots, Sandstormtrek or fhr/res rares.

That would net 205 fcr. Resists in hell would be F33 C106 L68 P Enough. One allres grand and I would be set(6str/[email protected] comes in mind from my other sorc).
    One issue comes from str needed for spirit. Is there a way around this? 20fcr crafted amu and no spirit but lidless? Also what should I socket in items, fhr, life?

I appreciate your input here.
    Also I would like to hear about possibilities in skills. I wont be having too many extra skillpoints from gear so how many points should go to teleport?
    Normally I keep enough for tele to cost around 4-6 so if manaburn happens I wont be there waiting for regen/pot. Should I equip merc with something else than insight? I have eth CV insight, no reapers toll yet.
    I'm thinking about act2 holy freeze merc so things are slower if I need to check loot a little longer. So, vampire gaze, shaft/stone, insight-bonehew-kelpie-?-?.

Where do I spend my remaining skillpoints? Should I use 200fcr for fireballs? Dualtree? Blizz/orb with these low skillpoints?

I've spent 6-7h now on her and she's in NM act5. Next up is ancients. Been running little carelessly and had quite a few close calls. After each I noticed that I could visit town for some much needed gear upgrade.

Any input or questions are much appreciated.

-Causa

2. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

I'd do some blood crafted rings along with some caster amulets to see if I could get some good +str and +life out of that, and preferably a 20FCR amulet as well. If you don't get the 20fcr, you're stuck with spirit, but can then go as low as 5 fcr in favor of other affixes. Remember that dex is worth the same as str, because of 60 dex req for hel'd wizzy.

Being HC, I'd definitely go for the HF merc with insight. I'd also do ES build, and try to ramp up as much mana as I could. Wizzy and Spirit is a good start here, use a memory staff on switch to buff ES.

I'd actually study very closely just how cheap gear I could put on such a character, and still make 200fcr, then just remake the character should it die. If you have 5 fcr spare, there is no reason to put a 35fcr spirit on her, as the loss of a 31fcr ethereal one would be less of a pain. None of the other gear you list is very hard to come by, except for good charms, which should be kept off.

IF you decide this will be a one-time effort, though, you should consider losing some resists for mana/life and go ES. There's not a lot of elemental stuff going on in LK, and certainly nothing which will be life-threatening unless provoked. Losing the wizzy and using Suicide Branch will save you 35 points of dex, which can then become mana. Getting a better helm (Griffon) and using a perfect spririt will free up the amulet slot, or both ring slots if you have a 20fcr amulet (using SoJs for even more mana, or something to boost defenses in case of mana burn). CtA is more or less mandatory for high-value HC characters.

I know I would have gone with the cheap stuff, though. Dumping stuff like 31life large charms on her, and just rebuild should she die. Twink gear usually don't get lost in HC unless drunk ;)

3. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

This topic might also be an inspiration as far as gear goes. No super duper expensive gear, but very cleverly done.

Good luck !!!

4. Burgomaster3

Burgomaster3 Diabloii.Net Member

Pretty much agree with everything helvete said.

Keep crafting amulets until you get decent one with 15+ FCR, the closer to 20 you get the better ofc. For other affixes, look for life/mana/res/stats, don't focus too much on +skills.

When you have more amulet options, you can try few caster belt crafts. Of course try to go for 10 FCR. Crafted belts are good also a source for strength, life, resists and FHR. It shouldn't be too hard to craft usable one, so you probably shouldn't craft them more than is necessary, to save amethysts for amulet crafting. Arachnid Mesh is nice belt, but it doesn't have much going for it defensively, and you probably will have other chars in the future who will benefit from it more.

Rings are a good source for strength and dexterity. Craft blood rings. If you have gold, gamble rings and circlets/coronets.

You can put Hel or -15% req jool in Wizzeh to save stat points. For other sockets, Perfect Rubies for life would be a good choice. Maybe Ort for extra LR but frankly, it's mostly the physical damage you should be worried about. Try to avoid maps where monsters spawn inside the huts, so you can teleport inside blindly. Try to go with as much empty inventory space as possible, but it may be good idea to carry few SCs of Vita for extra life. If you give her CtA, she will be very safe, and wont be easy to deed, unless you take stupid risks or play super drunk.

Insight Merc with Holy Frost aura, no other option imo. Try to roll Insight with lvl 17 Meditation aura for extra mana burn protection.

Cold sorc is the best option in LK since there aren't many (if any?) cold immunes there. Blizzard is probably the best but FO would also work. Use Frost Nova to wipe away leapers. Remember to put a point in Shiver Armor. ES might be a good idea, but I don't have much experience on that. You can put extra points in Teleport if you're paranoid about mana burn, but I'm not sure if its necessary.

I also think you should start LK running as soon as your char gets there, even if your gear isn't final yet. You will farm a lot of crafting supplies, rare rings, scirclets etc. as you go along, so you can tweak your char as you go along. Also, LK runs are so fast, that you should always abort a run if you feel you might be facing a NDE. It is not worth it to risk it it, just S&E and continue. The chest wont go anywhere.

Edit. And of course, be free to consult my mat thread @T72on1 linked above, ninja-style.

T72on1 likes this.
  5. Gripphon

Gripphon Diabloii.Net Member

Is it even clever to go without block for HC? I made mine 105 fcr block in HC cuz I didn't want to deal with random mana-burn packs who can therefore kill you before you know it.

6. Causa

Thank you for all replys. They gave me a lot to think about.
    Last night I teleported through act 3 in hell, killing only what needed to be killed. My new sorc, CainsMistress, was lvl72 when she killed meph so that she can utilize act 4 WP. Run timer shows that I've spent more or less 9h with my sorceress now. A lot of time I've been at chest wondering upgrades and charms. I'm sure hours can be reduced from that time if you want to raise sorc fast. No need to resque Cain in NM but what can you say, you've read my sorcs name, she kinda had to go after him.

I think I'm going to have to try 200fcr vs 105fcr builds to see how big difference there is in run times.
    It's something I need to check but regardless of all the good and nice answers I got, I must say that Gripphon certainly made a good point that I must weight. Using 105fcr build might make running more comfortable in long .... well, run.

I must start crafting so I can see if I can make some decent fcr gear. Could come in handy no matter what build I use in the end.
    It's good that I've been saving all incredients allthough I haven't had any idea what to craft in future. I have a habit of picking up 99,8% of runes (exact numbers are not exact). Now it's time to use them with all the Pames I've been saving.

Here is the map that I got when questing in Hell. Might try this already since it's ~5 teleport to 1st hut and they're all next to each other. Last hut didn't fit in but it's there.

2017-02-19 LK Map.png

Also had 1tp to tower from wp for countess run but I don't think there will be need to run her.

Now it seems that I can retire leveling runcounter and start to build LK runcounter. Got to love advanced runcounter.

-Causa

7. zticazzy

zticazzy Diabloii.Net Member

...and what if 1.13+, but no RWM?

Wizardspike / Suicide branch / Spectral shard [50]
    Lidless [20]
    Rare rings [10 + 10]
    Arachnid mesh [20]
    Rare circlet / Griffon [20-25]
    Crafted amulet [15-20]
    Vipermagi [30]
    Trangouls / Magefist [20]
    Boots (any) [0]

This is the only gear that can push your fcr to 200, right?

8. helvete

Yes, provided you use a sorc.

Don't need RWM for enigma though, so a barb could dual-wield 50FCR weapons, get 40FCR from head+neck, 20 from gloves, 20 from belt and 20 from rings. For HC, that is probably the safest runner ever, since there would be no need to put any stats anywhere, everything in vit.

9. Causa

I did some LK runs yesterday on P7. Made a decision to start with a familiar build to get a feeling for my new runner.
    105fcr, max block, max res, 60fhr.
    Now I feel bad that I've taken your time for my fantasies but I can't turn her into 200fcr sorc at least not yet. Too much hassle going on so I must get my running smoother at least before I can give it a go.
    15 runs in and got 1 Pul, 10 runs later got Vex. After those nothing of interest, some decent charms and bow skiller.

2017-02-20 LK P7 100 1st runs.png
    I want to start easy to get running smooth. Been checking loot on ground for too long and picking up too many damn things =)
    Edit- forgot to say, that map is other wise nice but last hut spawns sometimes boss pack inside and it makes running interestin. Same hut also spawns huge amount of colossus voulges in rack so I'll be swimming in those soon enouhg. Already got eth 4os from there.

-Causa

T72on1 likes this.
  10. Gripphon

Gripphon Diabloii.Net Member

Next step in your journey is to roll circular map where you end up again in act 4 to avoid that 8 seconds walk through act 3 town. Such map is not easy to roll, but it can easily make you 5-6 seconds faster without improving any running technique at all. It is worth it on a long run to roll such map, it will save you lots of time in the future.

DiabloTwoinDC likes this.
  11. Causa

I tp to act3 and TK my way with WP to act 4. So I never run through act3. But that is still much better option since I would also lose those tomes from inventory and no need to tp to town. I just dropped -15req / 21%LR jewel. It will go to use I'm sure.

-Causa

12. Darkthrone

Darkthrone Diabloii.Net Member

Agreed about the circular map. I rolled one and it changed my life. There is also a health shrine just below the way point which is incredibly convenient. :)

13. helvete

Get one with frequent gem shrines and decent racks ;)

T72on1 likes this.
  14. Causa

Thank you for comments. I might as well go ahead and roll a better map. Since it seems that at the moment I kind of enjoy running LK. It fits my current life that I can put on some music and hide behind my headphones for 5min, 15min, or hour.

Run counter shows 360 runs done. So far loot has been:
    Run number/rune
    15 Pul
    25 Vex
    160 Mal
    255 Um

Maybe today I will look for a better map. Haven't dropped any eth 4os CV's but I have two so those will do for now.
    Maybe I get one that produces phase plades, ettins or cryptic axes. Hmm, I didn't pop those armor racks outside of huts. I have decent amount of different 3/4 sock armors but only one archon plate.

About the topic of this thread. With those 360 runs I've had few semiclose calls and one with actually life dropping to ~10%.
    If I would try the 200fcr I think I would have to go with ES. I think it might give some shelter against fana/conv packs and maybe with luck none of those will be mana burn.

Running is getting better already. I get more easily around 25-28s and best times are in 23-24s. I've started to skip more and more common runes (I've been picking up ALL runes before and now when I have 10 of <sol I don't pick them any more, except Rals).
    So I've lost a lot of time cubing runes up from El's and also if I see flawless gems further away I don't bother going to get them any more. All charms, jewels, coronets etc, rare rings/amus, other rares of interest, those are the stuff I always pick up unless it slows me down too much (too many mobs over them....)

Approaching the first hut directly from below makes me teleport over the hut or stop just before the hut little too often. It takes a second easily to go back to the hut. Also gives me a reason to find map more suitable for my running. Shrines were good advice, I had once a map that had well just next to WP and it made me pot less.

Any advice about Merc? I currently use act 2 holy freeze with non eth tresher insight, vamp gaze, 35xx def stone armor. 2 times he has been instagipped by some fana or conv pack. My level is only 72 so that is something I might improve in near future.
    -Causa

15. Darkthrone

In my map I sometimes teleport past the first hut as well, but that's what telekinesis is for; you shouldn't have to go back, unless you're seriously overshooting it, but that just comes with practice as you learn your map implicitly.

As for the mercenary, I know everyone has a love affair with the holy freeze mercenary, but I have found the defiance one to be the most useful. Plus you get to hire him in normal which means his end-game stats are better (the higher the mercenary's level is when you hire them, the lower their end-game stats will be, thus hiring in normal is "better" than hiring in nightmare). Regardless, with practice your runs will be so quick that his aura shouldn't really have time to activate.

My Lower Kurast sorceress is level 92, so my mercenary is the same; character level is a big factor in chance of being hit, so I would suggest leveling your character (and therefore your mercenary) to at least level 85. My mercenary has never died except when I have (but I play rather recklessly when running Lower Kurast). He wears Insight, Fortitude dusk shroud, and an Andariel's Visage (socketed with a Ral rune). I play on /players 7.

16. Xios

Xios Diabloii.Net Member

I just want to clarify your point about Mercenary "levels", as I think the language is a little ambiguous.

The only thing that matters for the stats of a Mercenary is the difficulty it was hired in. What level the mercenary had upon hiring has no effect on his stats. A Normal Mercenary is superior to a Hell Mercenary, but hiring a Normal Mercenary at level 30 and grinding him up to 80 versus just hiring him (from Normal) at 80 has no difference in stats.

I assume this misconception mostly stems from the fact that Pre-1.11, the level you could hire Mercenaries at was capped based on the difficulty you hired them in. Thus to get the superior Mercenary you'd have to level up a lower level Normal Mercenary rather than hire a higher level one in Hell. Thus there's a link between "having to level your Mercenary" and "better stats" even though the former didn't cause the latter, it was merely a correlation.

So yes, as you say a Mercenary hired in Normal is "better" than hiring in Nightmare (differences in Auras and such aside) or Hell for that matter, but "the higher the level the mercenary's level is when you hire them, the lower their end-game stats will be," is misleading.

Darkthrone likes this.
  17. Darkthrone

Cool, thanks for the info and clarification!

Xios likes this.
  18. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

This !!!

19. Burgomaster3

Burgomaster3 Diabloii.Net Member

By the way, thing I've been meaning to ask about gem shrines:

I just happen to have LK map with a shrine that's often a gem shrine. The problem is, that usually when I come across it, I have my inventory full of gems and I really don't have the patience to throw everything out except the amethysts. So how does the gem shrine choose which gem it upgrades, if there are several in inventory?

I've tried to identify this, and all I've noticed is, that it tends to pick a gem on the right side of inventory. But for all I know, this might be totally random. Does someone know the exact mechanic behind this?

20. Xios

Xios Diabloii.Net Member

Hmm, I want to say that it's not actually random (which some sources claim) but instead it chooses the oldest gem in your inventory to be upgraded.

I recall that being mentioned before, but I don't currently have any sources to back up that claim.

Should be easy enough to test though. Before you start a run, explicitly put in a gem that you want to upgrade first. That should mean that if it does indeed work as mentioned, it'll always upgrade the one you cherry picked.