Making a sorc - need advice

AlmostInfinity

Diabloii.Net Member
Making a sorc - need advice

Hello, I am making another attempt at a sorceress. Usually I play barbs so this is quite a jump for me. I am attempting a tal rasha lightning sorc because I heard the hold their own pretty well for chaos runs. She's currently lvl 70 and can kill things decently.

Here are my stats, gear, and skills
Stats:
Str - 100
Dex - base
Vita - everything
Energy -base

Going to be using energy shield so would it be wise to throw a couple points into energy? I have about 90 stat points leftover and will probably throw enough into str so I can equip a spirit monarch.

Gear:
Tal set
Helm and armor - should I socket these with ptopaz for mf?
Orb - I have a lightning facet lying around, should I throw that in there?
Travs
Chanceguard (magefists?)
fcr rings
Using a lidless right now but I plan on using a Spirit soon

What fcr breakpoint do you guys recommend for a pvm lightning sorc? This will help in determining whether I should use fcr rings and magefists or chancies and soj / bk rings.

On switch, I plan to either get a cta or insight (merc will be using infinity). I also have this nifty staff and was wondering if it is useful at all.
Battle staff - 2 thunderstorm, 2 chilling armor.
Should I make insight or melody in it for the on switch weapon? Or should I just save my socket quest and try to find something better?

Skills
Warmth - 1
Lightning - max
Chain lightning - max
Charged bolt - max
Light mastery - max
Nova - max
Tstorm - 1
ES - 1
Chilling armor -1

Any other skills I should be concerned with? Should I throw more points into chilling armor or another elemental attack so I can be more flexible for immunes?

Thanks for any advice.

Pom Shadd

Diabloii.Net Member
I think that at this point in your char's developement, investing in energy shield would be a waste.

http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=564

While ES is viable for pvm, in my experience, it requires a substantial (i.e. much more than 90 point) investment into energy. And, if you're not going invest a substantial number of skillpoints in it and telekinesis, the damage reduction will not be maximal, but the drain on your mana will be. Since so far you've gone the standard vita-route, I'd say keep on going. Use as much str as you need to wear spirit, and dump the rest in vitality.

Just my opinion.

pxlxyxr

Banned
i agree with pom, keep going on the standard vita route. For an effective ES sorc, u would have to put substantial number of points in telekinesis and put a lot of points in energy. As for the fcr, you shouldnt have to worry about that with tal set. put on mages when u just pvm and chancies for mf. Also, u should definitely get a merc with infinity and wear sojs instead of fcr rings. u shouldnt have to put any points into str as sorcs usually have low vitality and need all the life that they can get.

andrewexd

Diabloii.Net Member
dont go es because mana burn and psn and i know this is off topic but if u can afford infinity (if ur nl) i would just make a hdin for mfing.

blu3l1ghtn1ng

Diabloii.Net Member
Hey I have a question that is somewhat related to this topic since I am in the same position as OP. I also have a sorc, but I am going the pure blizz route to do countess runs, andy runs and meph runs. I enjoy the first two, and the last is the easiest to do with a blizz sorc. The question I have is how much strength do I need to wear a spirit monarch? How much does 4 os monarchs go for on USEAST SCL? And by wearing one, should I go the dex route instead of pure life.

Right now my stats are

~ 90 strength
base dex
150 vit
base mana

What should I do

BTW i have 125 points in dex left, and I'm lvl 70 so i have many more points left in me.

AlmostInfinity

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the replies guys.

Hey I have a question that is somewhat related to this topic since I am in the same position as OP. I also have a sorc, but I am going the pure blizz route to do countess runs, andy runs and meph runs. I enjoy the first two, and the last is the easiest to do with a blizz sorc. The question I have is how much strength do I need to wear a spirit monarch? How much does 4 os monarchs go for on USEAST SCL? And by wearing one, should I go the dex route instead of pure life.

Right now my stats are

~ 90 strength
base dex
150 vit
base mana

What should I do

BTW i have 125 points in dex left, and I'm lvl 70 so i have many more points left in me.
You'll need 156 str for a Spirit monarch. I wouldn't put any points into dex. It would help for block but it would take 265 points in dex to achieve max block just at level 70. I think those points into vita would be more beneficial. As for the price of shields, they usually go for about lem. They are pretty easy to find though.