Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Making a new pvp Char, thinking of a smite/charger any advice? der

Discussion in 'PvP' started by Darknicrofia, May 10, 2005.

1. Darknicrofia

Darknicrofia IncGamers Member

Making a new pvp Char, thinking of a smite/charger any advice?

Item selection
    Coa ( berber or 2x40-15?)
    archon nigma
    weapon problem (deciding between doom zerk, iron ward, eth storm lash, which better?)
    upped hoz or exile ( if hoz, should i ber it or zod it or what)
    dungos
    draculs
    gores
    2x raven
    crafted pally ammy

6 bo cta
    anni
    bunch of life scs

sorb gear in stash

Skill selection
    max smite, max holy shield
    max fanta
    max defiance
    max charge? ( or 10 charge and 10 vigor)

Stat selection
    str: as required to use heaviest item
    dex: max block
    vita: everything else
    mana:base

any one ever made one? i have a friend on east nl that can consistantly kill almost any char with this, including my bvc barb who owns most pubs and many pros.

any advice would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

2. Generator Of Chaos

Generator Of Chaos IncGamers Member

As far as I've noticed, Exile is the best shield for melee chars, but, if you go Smiter, I'm not sure if an Ethereal, high def, (up'ed?) hoz is better...

Also, In my melee dueling experience (granted it's not that much) it would be best to AT LEAST socket one ber in, cause it seems to me that suffering less dmg is more important than giving more dmg..

As far as weapon choice goes, I'd have to chose Doom myself, due to the very "speed crippling" Holy Freeze aura... Or maybe grief?

In the armour department, I don't think Nigma would be the best for this kind of char, other than for stat points savings... For a meleer, perhaps a stone, or Fort would be a better option?
    CoH if you wanna take down nasty casters and are low on resists?

As for charge, perhaps you shouldn't spend many points in charge, as it is a very buggy skill (read that: Misses more often than not, getting you killed 90% of those times) ... I find it better to just spend 1 point into charge, to charge TO the target, then change to smite and murder them...

As for a last note, Smiters need IAS, so perhaps changing those draculs for a Magnus skin or something with IAS would be more apropriate, since I don't think smite leechs

But, as I mentioned, I'm not very clear on this, so don't trust my word 100%...

3. Dead_Body

Dead_Body IncGamers Member

Smiters are a great build, but I don't think charge is really needed beyond one point. Ultimately, I think FoH would be much more helpful for killing those who will complain about smite (especially me; I loathe smite).

I also agree with the above poster: use Exile. Hoz is really good, but life tap + defiance aura rules. Use Hoz for your FoH needs, assuming you go that route.

In any case, good luck, and if I see you using smite against me, I'll kill you!

Edit: Absorb gear is lame -.-. Also, for weapon, I'd suggest something like Grief phase/zerker.

4. Phyrexial

Phyrexial IncGamers Member

Grief phase is really the best way to go with a smiter, the damage increase is just unbeatable and with a phase you'll hit the max smite speed without much trouble at all as long as you use Fanata. However, if you are on NL then you won't have access to it and I would personally suggest going with some nice Eth Lacerators. The speed is nice and Smite with 33% chance to Amp is just nasty. Every now and then you can throw some axes at someone to get amp on them.

Remember that +skills greatly increases the damage of smite, so consider BK rings instead of Ravens. With a high level HS you shouldn't need much dex to hit max block. Enigma will give you a nice damage increase, 8% DR, increased life, and save you a ton of stats so it's certainly not something to ignore. I'm not sure if there are better choices, but Enigma certainly isn't bad.

With your current setup, lets see how much DR you'd have minimum:

8% Enigma
    15% CoA
    15% Verdungos

That's 38% DR so far. Another Ber somewhere would put you at 46% DR which I think would be fine.

If you go with Lacerators for Amp, you won't really need lifetap but Dracul's is still good for the OW and +str. You could use something else for IAS though. If you choose something else, the Dracul's should be fine for the Lifetap. If you are using Dracul's I don't think you'd need Exile over HoZ. Herald has +skills which will greatly increase your damage, and an Upped one has the same average damage as any other pally shield but a tighter damage range thus more consistent damage. It has a ton of res too, which is always nice. The +def from the Defiance on Exile is only around 2k more def I heard, but ask around to make sure. Either way, if you are using Dracul's you don't need the ctc Lifetap on Exile.

For charms, combat lifers are the way to go. Like I've been saying, +skills are key to a Smiter's power unlike most melee that rely on 3/20/20's or other similar damage/ar/life charms.

Lastly, I would suggest having FoH on backup instead of maxing charge. One in charge is fine for your purposes and FoH is quite nasty with all the +skills you'll have. It will force most players to stack light res and/or absorb which can make them easier prey for your smite. Also it can be used to kill a runner with 1 hp left from your OW.

5. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

I'm assuming you're on NL, since you didn't even mention Grief.

For the weapon, I would go for Heaven's Light socketed with Bers or IAS jewels (or Shaels), depending on the amount of IAS you need to reach 6 fpa Smite. Or, if you have enough IAS, a Redeemer scepter would be best.

For the shield, I wouldn't use anything except an upgraded HoZ for a Smiter. I have a resist/ED/FHR jewel of some sort in mine, iirc, but a Ber or Cham would also work if you need it.

For armor, I've used Stone and Enigma, and found the Enigma to work much better. It offers DR, +skills, extra life, and a very nice strength bonus to wear your other equipment. The FRW bonus is also quite useful assuming you're not going to just stand there on one place and Smite everyone like most people in public games do.

For skills, I maxed smite, holy shield, defiance, and fanatacism, along with 1 in each prereq, and a point or so in each resist aura, just in case, especially lightning resist. Everything else can go into Charge.

For gloves, you could use Drac's or IAS/CB gloves. Life Tap is not very necessary for Smiters, since they kill pretty quickly. Only in Smite vs. Smite will you possibly need Drac's. I've also found that OW acts too slowly to be of much use to a Smiter.

For rings, ravenfrosts are pretty much useless since Smite doesn't use AR, and you'll probably have enough Charge AR. I'd use dual Bul Kathos' rings, or Sojs if you need the mana (you shouldn't).

6. Davie.

Davie. IncGamers Member

Your wpn if nl is either Eth Zod Astreons or Botd Zerk. And i'd go with a High res Exile since it lets you leech back the life ur gonna be losing vs aa blizz sosers and summoner/bone necs.

7. RetroStar

RetroStar IncGamers Member

Botd sucks for smite. Go with Asteron. Also Up'd HoZ > Exile.

8. Mr.Popo

Mr.Popo Banned

dont use coa, use shako instead. The +2skills and +life/mana outweight its dr, not to mention it requires a lot of str. (ber'd shako+ber'd hoz+enigma+15verdungo=49dr) And an eth up'd hoz is bugged, they wont give u more def once u upgrade it. A regular up'd hoz is the best. (socket with ber) The problem is u need fhr, so u either get it from charms, or switch dracul to bloodfist.

Btw, one ravenfrost is good enough since ur a smiter/charger. Change one to bk ring or some nice craft rings then you're all set.

9. Duelskull2

Duelskull2 IncGamers Member

Fhr isnt all the important since you have charge.

10. Darknicrofia

Darknicrofia IncGamers Member

ty for all tips, but i decided to make a v/t :D

its currently lvl 71, does 3890 or so foh dmage, around 1920 smite dmage in the character screen. my skills are so far, 17 in foh, 13 in holy shock, maxed holy shield, 1 in conviction, around 10 ish smite, and around 8 or so in fanatacism, any tips on improving smite dmage? or do i just keep lvling fanta and smite, which one should i max first? using the following gear
    shako ( planning to use ber ber coa at lvl 82, but dunno, any advice? )
    nigma
    bloodfists
    rare duped boots ( grim spurs )
    duped crafted pally ammy ( armageddon slippers )
    terrible dungos ( only 10 dr )
    2x bk
    40-15 ed up'd hoz
    +4 astersons +80 damge, sockted with 5-5 die light facet
    5x plain p combats
    20/16/7 anni
    20 life scs

any advice on dueling or gear or controlling foh? foh is werid, my frist time using it, and it some times doenst hit anything, even when people is in my screen....

11. morotsjos

morotsjos Banned

Read pravdas v/t-guide in the pally forum, it's awesome.
    http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=284278