Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Making a forge..Adobe I believe?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by NightShade, Apr 1, 2005.

1. NightShade

NightShade Diabloii.Net Member

Making a forge..Adobe I believe?

Currently I'm working on a bit of a summer project of making a forge.

I planned initially to have a barrel with a small hole cut in the bottom With pipe running air from a hairdryer to the charcoal...but I wonder, does the barrel keep heat effectively inside?

My alternate plans are to construct something similar, but out of brick and cinderblock and then cover it in dirt (stepped pyramid kind of shape) to seal in as much heat as possible.

The heat it's self would most likely not be applied to a solid billet to be drawn out and hammered, as I don't believe I could heat that much steel inside such a forge, instead it would be heating a steel pipe, smashing it flat, folding it and then drawing it out to create the blade length.

It's been something I've wanted to toy with for quite some time, so regardless of wether it's a good idea or not I'm probably going to do, so I figured if I'm going to fail I may as well try the best way at it

2. Freemason

Freemason Banned

The barrel won't work. Remember how the forge looks in the Rogue Camp? That's what you want to build.

The hairdryer isn't going to work. If you're going the power tool route, get yourself a cheap leaf blower.

For fuel, use coal. Use a high grade hard coal if you can. It's far more effecient. Charcoal will work if that's all you can get. I'm assuming you don't have the financial resources to use natural gas or propane for a gas-fired pit.

Next, what kind of anvil do you have? Have you obtained a proper forging hammer? The leather apron? Good steel toed boots? What about the barrels of regular water, salt water and oil? Do you have the grinding wheel? Clips, snips, rivets, etc?

I'm not trying to disuade you from trying this. You just need to realize that forging metal is a lot more involved than you think. There are numberous websited dedicated to blacksmithing. Go to them. Go to the library and learn. Smithing is dangerous, you need to be educated before attempting it. I should know, I have a couple of scars from not knowing.

3. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere Diabloii.Net Member

Dude, that is sweet.

I must admit, I would spend alot of time making Swords if I could. Not to mention if you do it properly, you will become ripped.

4. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Don't forget that the overwheming majority of blacksmiths had apprentices and/or journeymen. The master smith wasn't the guy swinging the hammer. He had strikers to do the hard work. THose guys were a lot smarter in many ways than we are now.

Some of them even figured out automatic hammers. Rig up a trip hammer to a paddlewheel in the river and let the river do the hard work. Those are the guys that got rich.

5. Raistlin Majere

Ah, the Middle Ages idea of an intern.:lol:

6. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Nothing changes except technology. The same problems then are the same problems today. The horse still does the work while the driver gets tipped.

7. NightShade

Steel toes : Yep. Old man gets them every year from work for free, so I get them.

Hammer : I will most likely be creating my own by beveling the edges off of a smaller "sledge" type hammer so that they dont leave deep scars in the metal

GrindingWheel : Check

Leather Apron : Not yet. Suggestions for where to get one/cheap alternatives?

Barrels : not an issue.

Quenching solution : suggestions for it? Quite frankly I have no idea

Anvil : about 3 foot long, no idea on the weight but considering it's mass, I'd say well over 300 pounds, standard flat surface with a horn at the end of one side

When I can hop on the scanner (not literally) I'll put up a picture of what I plan to make as well as the basic idea I'll be working with until I can obtain proper research material from the Lib/internet to make a real sword. Currently steel pipe seems as if it's the cost effective solution.

8. Raistlin Majere

There are entire books dedicated to the art of Sword-making, much less any form of blacksmithing. Some people will pay good money for hand forged items if you are good enough.

9. Freemason

Freemason Banned

You're hammer isn't going to work. Smithing hammers have long handles in order to keep your hands away from the metal. Many types of strikes cause metal slivers to fly off. You'll want to avoid that. It's one of my scars.

Apron. Make it yourself or buy on online. It'll need to be a heavy leather to protect you from accidents.

Quenching. That's what the three barrels are for. Each type of quenching liquid has it's own properties. I can't remember which does what.

Stock metal. Steel pipe might work. Old railroad tracks work great. The trakcs are a good grade of steel.

10. NightShade

To me it'd be a hobby more so than a career path, atleast at the moment.

My career is uncertain, as I don't know what I want to do with my life....Though blacksmithing does appeal to me, there's alot I'd need to learn that may not indeed be profitable.

Working as a police officer is a much more stable line of work for my future, as I invision it, but the idea of getting paid to hammer out swords by hand is quite...romantic, for lack of a better word.

Edit :

Railroad tracks you say? How wonderful, my town has just taken out several miles of them and they are laying around in the boonies near where I plan to set up.

Chances of me "making" myself a hammer correctly vs just buying one?

I figure that aught to be relatively expensive.

11. Raistlin Majere

Some bolts are a great grade for steel. might be expensive. I have to use Titanium drill bits and ALOT of muscle to cut out a cross-threaded bolt.

12. Freemason

Freemason Banned

If you want to make a living doing it, you'll want to go to Toledo, Spain or Florence, Italy or several cities in China.

Stability you say? Go become an accountant. That's stability.

Excellent! The fastest way to cut the tracks is to use thermite. You can make it yourself but I won't take the liability of telling you how to do it.

Be smart. Buy one.

Everything about smithing is expensive.

13. NightShade

Luckily, I know how to make thermite and I have alot of magnesium ribbon that I can get my hands on.

Stable as being able to ensure that pay will indeed come in. Getting to pull over a guy and get shot in the face on any given day is merely a perk.

14. toader

toader Banned

Im a lvl 98 blacksmither.

15. Freemason

Freemason Banned

~touches hot iron to toader's nether regions~
    ~becomes talent agent and gets toader a new gig as an operatic soprano~

16. NightShade

Cept server downs are now just involuntary fits of unconciousness

17. Peregrine

Peregrine Diabloii.Net Member

To add another source of cheap steel, grab some car/truck springs from the local junkyard. You might have to remove some of the rust, but that's good steel that a lot of the higher quality modern swords are made from. And it's already pre-cut into nice convenient sizes.