Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Making a 2h BvC barb

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Mr.Popo, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Mr.Popo

Mr.Popo Banned

Making a 2h BvC barb

I know it wont be a bvber due to no shield, but does it do better performance than ebotd/beast setup? Like using range of 5 weapon and high life can basically kill anyone beside barb. Does it have a chance to agasint zealot or werebear?

2. morotsjos

morotsjos Banned

1) Vs zealots/werebear: YES. These aren't exactly hard in the first place and with range 5 you ensure a win.
    2) Botd+beast is better. Grief+beast is WAY better. Dualwielding has the same or better avg damage, it scores more hits (i.e. better chance to bypass block), has more mods (ow, cb, ar). Also, in bvb the botd+beast barb will almost ALWAYS kill the 2-handed barb assuming equal gear/skills otherwise.
    3) Range 5 is not that much of an advantage vs casters, since you're always in range after tele (and tele/ww is easily the best way to kill any caster).
    I'd also take the extra hits from dualwielding any day over some extra range, you hit maxblockers SO much more easy.

3. RetroStar

RetroStar IncGamers Member

Most dual wield BvC will have similar to 2h Bvc since they both go base str/dex. Dual wield can even get more because of more stats from Beast/Botd.

4. Throttle

Throttle IncGamers Member

Also, unless I am mistaken, a War Pike does not reach the fastest breakpoint with 60% IAS. I don't know about Great Polethingy

5. RetroStar

RetroStar IncGamers Member

I mean have similar LIFE or even more. I wasn't thinking as I was typing.

Couldn't edit.

6. DoC-Makaveli

DoC-Makaveli IncGamers Member

dual wield is better... u have 9 fpa for zerk with beast+botd zerk.... its also more flexible because u can use ss for dr if needed

7. morotsjos

morotsjos Banned

Why would you do something that stupid and lose HALF your damage (as well as the extra hits to bypass block, i.e. more than half your damage in practise)? If you need dr you should use CoA, not a crappy shield...

8. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Perhaps because if you decide to bvb/melee at all, nullifying 75% of your opponent's attacks while similarly decreasing their chance to hit you and granting yourself bonus mods from the shield can be quite useful.

-Hal

9. morotsjos

morotsjos Banned

Look at the topic. He wont do bvb, and he wont have maxblock. Hence using shield is completely worthless.

10. rikstaker

rikstaker IncGamers Member

The topic is on 2handers,but DoC's comment was on dualwield where he suggested ss for dr,you were right in saying dr can be got from coa,but Hal pointed that ss can be usefull if he decides to BVB,since you can block 75%.

Rik

11. morotsjos

morotsjos Banned

When I read doc's post it sounds like he recommends shield for dr on a bvc-barb, which is a total waste since you'll have ~40% block and lose >50% of your damage. My point is that a bvc-barb wont kill any good zealots/smiters/druids (or wwbarbs) using storm.

12. rikstaker

rikstaker IncGamers Member

yes using shield for dr is total waste on BVC-barb,but I am not sure if he recommended that for BVC.Even if he did,he was simply highlighting an advantage of dualwield in the ability to sport shield,active use or not depends on the build.

Rik

13. morotsjos

morotsjos Banned

True. For me it sounded like he advocated the use of shield for dr, which is completely worthless unless you a) have 200+ dex for maxblock and b) duel other wwbarbs. Unless you have 20k+ defense I'm not sure that shield is better vs zealots even if you have maxblock. It's so much harder to penetrate 60-70k def+maxblock with only one weapon. The zealots I duel are always amazed when they learn that I only have 13k ar, yet I hit them way more than they are used to.

14. Mr.Popo

Mr.Popo Banned

i currently playing NL (not much wealth in L) so no grief is viable. Then if i do bvb should i go with beast + duress + ss? Botd/beast against others.

15. qazxswcde

qazxswcde IncGamers Member

use a ebotd ghost spear

16. morotsjos

morotsjos Banned

Why?

17. Mr.Popo

Mr.Popo Banned

Btw, i thought that if ur using range of 5 weapon, the caster will have less chances to escape ur ww. So when u dod them, wont it be easier?

And how did u guys get max dr without using ss? 31%perf CoA (ber+ber) + 15%verdungo = 46%dr. So u just leave it like that?

18. morotsjos

morotsjos Banned

Dualwield hits twice as much, hence it's much easier to keep them in dod.
    When you trianglewhirl you'll be in range all the time so it really doesn't matter. The only case range matters is when you make long random desynched whirl to catch sorcs/druids etc. However, twice the amount of hits is still better.

CoA+enigma=39% dr. You rarely need the extra 11% from verdungos.

19. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

thing about bvc barbs and dual wielding vs. range 5 wwing is this: think where you want to hit them but minimize the chance of getting hit yourself. There aren't a lot of places you would want to do this, but (especially once grief hits non) smiters and hammerdins seem like 2 appropriate places to do so. I know bvc barbs can reach insane life totals, but these 2 can really rock your world if you aren't careful. Hammers have a range of 5.3 yards, so a range 5 weapon can make it a lot easier to hit without getting clobbered. Smiters at most have a range of 3, but with grief, you want to be highly careful hitting them, and you probably want maxed dr. a range 5 weapon obliviates most of the need for the dr and worrying about getting hit. If you don't have the extra range and they do hit you, its gonna hurt. I have heard horror stories of 1k to 2k pvp damage smiters after dr and very few barbs will survive that long enough to kill them.

--welt

20. Mr.Popo

Mr.Popo Banned

u dont use duress or fort against pally or werebear druid?