Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Makin a thrower Questions.

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Peacrusher, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Peacrusher

Peacrusher IncGamers Member

Makin a thrower Questions.

Recently in my MF endeavors. I found a lacerator. I had heard round about that throwing barbs are pretty good for most parts of the game, especially when combined with frenzy. I think they were called machinegunners. lol

Anyhow, I've tried trading this lacerator and no one wants it. So I thought about making a thrower. In addition to frenzy and Dbl. throw. What other skills are needed? This will be a mule char but I like playing my mules so they need to be able to kill effectively.

Thanks for the info.

2. chubbypuppy

chubbypuppy IncGamers Member

Razortail...

I tried a throw barb a while back, they are really funny to watch. I aborted him when I realized it was a lot of work throwing and hitting one monster at a time. This was before I found out about Razortail, an unique belt that gives you 33? piercing. Something to think about if you are going to throw.

Yes I found a Lacerator too, and I even have Razortail, but I have so far avoided remaking a throw barb :)

3. Peacrusher

will a thrower be able to complete hell? I don't expect him to get to lvl 90 or anything but to be able to run pindle or pits regularly would be good.

even to rush norm and nm.

4. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

I recently made a 'perfect' throwbarb so to speak. (open to test the build)
    Arreats (40/15ias)
    Leviathan (may want to -15req it cuz the str is huge)
    2x Eth Lacerator (go non eth)
    Verdungo
    Dracul (steelrend would be okay)
    Gore
    Highlords
    2x Raven
    Perf Anni
    About 20 3/20/20 (I had programmed them wrong so the 3 max wasn't working)

Got about 7k double throw (look at 6k without perf gear and all) (28k if both hit when amped)
    11k with a might merc

20k ar (probably more like 17k without charms)
    Frenzy didn't increase my speed a lot since I was already at a 5 frame, but it made my run walk insane, I would pass my own axes. The main drawback of course is that axes only go about a screen length.
    It was doing fine in hell baal and all though.

5. boochie61

boochie61 IncGamers Member

good call on about the frenzy speed thing. Once you hit a certain level, there is not a noticeable change if you frenzy and the run becomes somewhat uncontrollable. I prefer to sit back and chuck, rather than hit and run.
    As for hell usability, my ** ladder barb kills everything in all acts hell, and the gimmers are the reason. There is no immune I can't kill. IP no prob, Immune to fire, no prob. You get the jist. The point is I can solo any round hell and survive and have killed dclone solo on ladder.
    On my ladder char I hit 9k ar with no attack or dex charms and I have perfect resist bacause of the charms I carry (don't throw away those resist charms I always see in pubby's, you never know when you might need them :) ). Gloam, Black soul, muahahaha. I laugh at them.
    The throw barb is well suited to patch, so don't worry about that peacrusher. You'd better get a razortail though. Most important piece on a throw barb, even more than the weapons for crowd control. Also, there is no character faster rushing nm, other than sorcs and hammerdin. The throw barb terrorizes diablo and baal in nm.

6. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Amp on lacerator = gg for phys immunes (keep in mind I was planning pk, gimmer is a nice 2nd thrower)
    I was killing everything in like 2 throws though, but I think razortail would be better then verdungo PvM

7. boochie61

I always carry extra gear so that if a pvp situation comes up, then I am prepared.
    I mostly play pvm, but a good joust once in awhile is always fun.

8. Peacrusher

Well I got my 2nd lacerator last night in a drop from shenk. and all my other mules are filled now. so the thrower will begin tonight after I get home. B4 I start. I need someone to specifically state the stats I need to concetrate on. Also the Skills that are goin to be importants to max. Obviously Double throw and frenzy, but what else needs to be addressed?

9. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

1 in frenzy is enough
    basic build would be this
    str for gear
    about 150 vita
    rest dex

20 mastery
    20 throw
    20 swing
    1 frenzy
    20 bo
    5 nat res
    20 shout
    rest can go in iron skin/stamina/speed

10. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

is gore really the best boot?

11. boochie61

:scratch: did someone mention gore riders? I didn't see that or are you asking if they're a good boot for the build. Personally, I wouldn't use them except at low levels. The 2% mana leech does keep your mana up but they are a slow boot with little defense. Not much help that I can see.

12. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

Eh, there's quite a difference between Gorefoot and Gore Rider, whith Gorefoor Heavy Booty having the stats you mention and Gore Rider having FRW CB, OW and DS :)

13. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Gore Rider.

14. memememe173

did some testing of my own for the weapons

all perfect and eth except gimmer

same gear as Fenris except wearing

razortail (i like!!!)
    and wartravs

Scalper-1688-6940
    Deathbit-2288-5472 good damage but the replenish is a bit slow speed fine and soem nice mods (leech, ow, ar) but the replenish is so slow compared to the others

Demon Arch-1699-6396
    Gimmer- 4428-7404 better damage with lots of it elemental, depending on area your running the gimmer can last longer then the arch seems a but fast

Wraith Flight-3014-8410
    Gargolyes-1691-8926 highest damage so far wraith is WAY too slow gargolyes didnt have anything real special and the rarity is prohibiting

Warchriekes-2786-4995 lowest damage but fast the deadly strike is kinda wasted w/ mastery+highlords (+ gore)

Lacerator 978-6645
    Lacerator 978-6645 enough speed low min but amp+flee+ow makes the best (but probably gimmers non-eth) choice

15. boochie61

Sorry asleep at the wheel. Yes gore riders are a great boot for the build, although I prefer the travs or infernostrides myself (for the resists).
    Many apologies.

16. Any1

Any1 Banned

Warshrike also has 50% pierce. Combined with the 33% from Razortail, you'll destroy most crowds. Definitely worth the slightly low damage.

17. memememe173

bring back the argument of singles fast vs. group damage (ww vs beserk)

i still like laceraotrs or gimmer

18. Any1

Any1 Banned

You can switch back and forth between the two kinds of weapons. One set for crowds, one set for single targets (i.e. bosses).

19. memememe173

+3 cry weps?

20. Billweed

Billweed Banned

I have a throw/frenzy combo Baba I like a lot, I use a Glimmer and Demon Arch, Crow Armor, Razertail, Sigons boots and gloves combo, the darksight helm (manaleach no freeze and dim vison are nice) and as I did one thing I don't see a lot of others doing and that max beserk for the 20% Magic damage on Frenzy bonus for PI's (This was before I got the good elemetal dam uniques and was useing Cruel HyperJavs), 1 pointed the spear and axe mastery and pushed the Throwing mastery and double swing up to 10-15 and only 5 in frenzy but more seems a waste. Warcrys are Max BO, 5 shout, 1 point BC and howl/taunt as these help a lot with the croud control and a thrower needs this as no block. Dual echos on the pre-pump switch.
    This is not a pure thrower but a Frenzy throw combo and worked well all over the game for me so far buy I am only lvl 71 and still play NM mostly (ladder and I don't have any elite gear other than the throwing weapons which I both got cheap due to no one really useing them as you pointed out)
    I enjoy it and was really supprised how powerfull he was from early in the game Throwing seems to be if anything overpowered in the early stages.
    Just my experences for what its worth.