Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Major Compute Problems, Pro Help Needed!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AgentOrange, Feb 3, 2004.

1. AgentOrange

AgentOrange IncGamers Member

Major Compute Problems, Pro Help Needed!

I recently bought a 1.6ghz p4 computer with an nvida geforce3 ti card and all that good stuff, and have had major problems after installing Windows XP. My internet was at first giving me an incorrect space saving Microsoft ISP(starting with 169.), after I fixed it and got it to a proper 24. ISP, it was still having problems. It would connect PARTYWAY, but could never follow establish a connection IE: Aol Instant Messanger went past step 1 (connecting) and froze on verifying name and password, same with internet explorer. It would say "Web page found, waiting for reply" which showed that it had SOME connection, but something was wrong (im running cable btw). After much work and hours on the phone with technical support, I learned that my Nvidia card, and my Ethernet Card were on the same IRQ #, (5). I didn't even think that was possible. I have a theory that my Ethernet card does not have enough room to run sharing an IRQ number with my video card. Yet, even after disabling my Nvidia card, and completely uninstalling it, my ethernet card STILL won't run properly. I've tried alot of things, but nothing seems to be working, someone please help! :)

Thanks

2. Lithium

Lithium IncGamers Member

What kind of ethernet card do you have? I'm guessing either 3com, realtek or Intel or something, but I'm sure you can find it (if you bought a new one it should come with manuals and all) and if not you could just open up your pc. If I were you, I'd go to the site of the producer and download the latest drivers, same games for your graphics card (http://www.nvidia.com).

Not sure if that will solve it, but it's always a good idea :xsmile5:

3. Mad Merlin

Mad Merlin IncGamers Member

You can't "disable" your video card, unless you're going to fallback onto a different one (or an integrated one), you'll get no picture. What it would seem is that your computer isn't (wasn't) set up for DHCP networking, as it had the static internal LAN IP address assigned to itself at first. If you manually changed your IP address to something else, chances are very high that your internet/network connection won't work. You may want to consult the documentation that came with your cable modem, but I highly suspect that you'll need to be setup for DHCP to use it. You should be able to fiddle with this in the Network settings in the Control Panel, though they may hide it in a different place now.

In Windows, conflicting IRQs is usually just a Plug n' Pray issue, if you've got devices that aren't playing nice together, the easiest way is to reformat with only the bare essentials, then add hardware one at a time with your fingers crossed the whole time. Barring that, you may be able to get similar results by removing some of your non-essential hardware and then adding it back again later. Having said that though, the shared IRQ may or may not be what's causing the problem.

4. AgentOrange

AgentOrange IncGamers Member

I'm at work right now so I can't check my computer Eth card type right now, but in response to the last post, do you think reformatting the HD and re-installing Windows XP would be the smartest option? It worked fine at first, my prediction is that when I updated the Nvidia drivers to the new ones yesterday, something bad happened. (Also, I already tried to Rollback the drivers so that's out of the question)

5. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

Don't use the nVidia driver that MicroSoft offers. Go to nVidia and get the update.

The MicroSoft nVidia driver gave my machine fits of insanity.

NB :)

6. Mad Merlin

Mad Merlin IncGamers Member

If everything used to work, then most likely something you installed recently is causing the problem, uninstall the driver in question and grab the version you were using previously. Check NVidia's archive of drivers if you don't have the installer anymore.

7. Cain

Cain IncGamers Member

If you're getting a resource conflict then you'll have to manually assign resources to one of the devices. It's not really that hard to do, you just pick a free resource. Open device manager and goto properties on one of the conflicting devices. Select the resource tab and uncheck "Use automatic settings" if you can. If not then you won't be able to manually assign resources. Next select a resouce you would like to change and move it to an available one. Reboot and hopefully things will work. XP can be a pain in the *** when it comes to manually assigning resources so it may not let you.