Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Maintenance Schedule

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sir EvilFreeSmeg, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Maintenance Schedule

Does anybody know what the maintenance schedule is for artillery pieces? Or how I could find some basic information about it?

2. Dondrei

Dondrei Diabloii.Net Member

I generally have a peon waiting beside it to repair it if it takes any damage.

3. DurfBarian

DurfBarian Diabloii.Net Member

If you have a particular model in mind, you might be able to Google for a maintenance manual for the thing . . . Beyond that I don't have any idea.

You could call up an Army person and say you're doing research for a story and would like some nonclassified information on the guns they use.

4. DurfBarian

5. ffejrxx

ffejrxx Diabloii.Net Member

not much maintenance on those, only probelm would be collecting your ammo before your enemy throws it back :laugh:

6. Freet

Freet Diabloii.Net Member

*doesn't ignore the elephant on the couch*

Why Smeg?

7. DurfBarian

Obviously he's trying to get his complete arsenal in place before Billary Clinton becomes president in 2008 and starts throwing god-fearing Merkuns into liberal reeducation camps!

8. Freet

Yup, that's probably it.

What's a Merkun?

9. DurfBarian

If you're from the Nited States of Merka, you're a Merkun.

10. Freet

Of course! Silly me. :rolleyes:

Whats a Merka?

11. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

Exactly .

12. Dondrei

Dondrei Diabloii.Net Member

What's this re- business?

It's a downstairs carpet.

13. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

I got to thinking, since the NoRKs entrenched their 20,000+ (estimated) artillery pieces in the hills north of the border, they haven't had much money for maintaining them. We keep hearing about how they are going to be able to destroy Seoul in a matter of hours.

The lack of maintaining them makes me think they may not even fire. Corrosion in the breach may very well cause the whole gun to explode. Even if the gun is out of the weather, 50 years of poor maintaince isn't going to be kind to the guns.

I'm starting to have doubts the NoRKs can destroy Seoul.

14. Dark Matter

Dark Matter Diabloii.Net Member

I misread this as Merkin (google it).

I Gotta getta life.

DM

15. jmervyn

jmervyn Diabloii.Net Member

Give it up - Seoul is toast if it happens. Maintenance can be oiling once a month, and accuracy is only important if you're an American (having to explain why you hit something by accident). Plus, WW1 rounds still blow up in French farmers' fields near the Somme; even the age of the rounds is likely to not be an important factor in Kimmy's barrage strategy.

As for the rest of his strategy, it is worthless - he probably wouldn't manage more than an 8 mile initial assault in the best of conditions, and very likely far less.

16. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

That is assuming they have enough oil for the guns. It's all a moot point though if they use chemical warheads on basic mass barrage rockets. Metal Storm isn't in place yet to be able to put up a wall of steel.

And 8 miles? I figured they'd get at least 20-30 in the first 12 hours. Then when they're all strung out the B-52s blow the :censored: out of their army with cluster bombs and other assorted area denial toys.

17. Freet

If I understand what is going on there correctly, NK is little more than a puppet for China who supplies the NK military. So, I suspect that, should the NK's decide to get antsy, China would be right there fueling their efforts.

Assuming I'm wrong though and they don't have oil to lube their guns, all they would need to do is rob the grease pit from the local McD's. As you know, McD's are everywhere.

18. jmervyn

jmervyn Diabloii.Net Member

Metal Storm? They're lucky to have operational Katyusha's of the WW2 variety. And as Freet indicates, Mickey D's are everywhere - lubricant is something that Kim would gut a couple of thousand civilians to ensure his military has access to.

How far have you hiked in a day? How far did you hike carrying a weapon? With a rucksack? Over mountainous terrain? Minefields? With someone shooting at you? All these combined?

I used to manage a 12-mile road march in 2.5 hours through the desert carrying a 60-80 lb. ruck and a weapon (Boy Scouts often do about 20 in one day, particularly if they aren't carrying a full load). Nobody was shooting at me, but you can trust me when I tell you I was tired. Fear can only motivate someone to a point, and when attacking a prepared defense on foot, I doubt they'll come anywhere near 20. You're thinking "battle taxi" like BTR-60's, and <those> he doesn't have in plenty or in good repair.

19. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

I was assuming they'd come by vehicle. Swarm the city on foot, commandeer whatever they could and go tearing arse south. They're also "supposed" to have a ton of tanks. Some of which might even still work. Mainly though I figured he'd send his people to take whatever busses were still operational as well as every pickup.

As for how far I can travel on foot with a weapon and 60 lbs of kit over lousy terrain? At my peak physical shape it would have been 18 miles in a day. Today it'd be about 6. Hiking in cowboy boots is a good way to get nasty blisters.

20. DurfBarian

Hmm, I suppose we'll just have to hope that the NK army is outfitted in cowboy boots.