Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

MagicFind Barb

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by GandalfX, Mar 22, 2004.

1. GandalfX

GandalfX IncGamers Member

MagicFind Barb

I have a crapy equipment collection and was wondering if making a magic find barb would be affective at increasing my inventory? and if so I need some tips on making it good.

2. Wargasm

Wargasm IncGamers Member

I won't claim to be the first person to suggest this particular idea, but her it is.

1. Find Item - At least 1 point in it. Horking rocks; this skill allows double drops from uniques and champions.
    2. Sword Barb - dual babas are you eventual goal. Echoing swords on switch.
    3. Pole arm Barb - Tomb Reaver. TOMB REAVER. Nothing else.
    4. Jewelery - mf/res all rings and ammy, preferably rare, with +skills on the ammy. Gamble lots.

My barb uses the ik set, 2 socket Tomb Reaver, 35% mf ammy, 26% nagelring, and a 26% magic ring, with dual babas on switch for horking. The merc uses up'd shaftstop, eth near perfect tarnhelm, and 1 socket tomb reaver. Over 600%mf on a merc kill, when weapon switched.

3. rizzo91

rizzo91 IncGamers Member

personaly

personally i *** get 2 OK swords and make sure they have mana leech (important) and life leech... at 5% at least..... then socket and fill with perfect topaz's.... for armour i *** put any armour on as long as it has as many sockets as u have p topaz's same with helm. for gloves get +deadly strike or mana leech. boots with +to walk/run speed..... then make SURE u get whirlwind AND beserk... main reason is so u dont get stuck wen one-on-one... then 1pt in find item then either max or put double swing at 10... EVENTUALYY max find item.. as the purpose of this barb is to find items and with max WW and zerk u wont need any other skills that often... regular pt setup for sats etc.... i didnt put to get all good items as this barb is going to get u good items..... also u'll need some points in shout early on for def... the only thing u need with this is a good friend or patience... remember ull need the skills first so ull have plenty of time for finding p topaz's

also instead of p topaz's u cud put in p sapphires if need be.... hope i helped :p

4. bwirum

bwirum IncGamers Member

Why would you ptopaz your swords? For the immense lightning damage? Err.. Ptopaz only gives bonus to MF in armor or helm. And horking is really a one hit wonder since when you get up to about 8 or 10 slvl the effect you get from each following point is ridiculous.

Oh and for the thread-owner:
    You can go two ways really:
    1. Use your maybe not so vast resources on making an expensive and rocking mf baba, with ptopaz Skullders, ptopaz Shako, a good sword like a cruel, rocking rare or botd cb and a stormshield and two dual ist alis on switch for the boss finishing and horking, Goldwrap belt, 40% Chance Guard gloves, > 30% mf rare rings with res and/or stats and/or leech, > 45% mf rare amu with skills and/or res and/or stats and/or leech and 50% wartraveller boots.

2. Get a fairly cheap ptopaz tarnhelm or a 3 x ptopaz helm, Wealth runeword armor (Lem-Ko-Tir) or a 4 x ptopaz armor (if you're lucky you can shop a 4 socket magic armor with some useful mod like 17/24% fhr, 50+ life or some strength for this), some rare mf gloves (look for mf, leech and resists) and boots (look for mf and frw), two nagelrings (nice for the ar too) and a rare mf amu of some kind (look for mf, skills, resists, leech), a decent sword in which you can socket an amn rune for life leech (you can get fairly good rare swords quite cheap) and a mosers shield with two pdiamonds for resists. Two ali babas on switch, try to find some 8-10% mf jewels to socket in these.

As for skills, go the max ww route with a point in zerk, max bo and shout, one point in battle command. Max sword mastery and the 4 masteries in the bottom. Get horking (Find Item) to between 8 and 10 with +skills meaning you'd have to invest anything between 1 and 5 skills here.

Hope this is helpful. Oh yeah, get a might merc. Offensive act 2 nightmare.

Try to equip him with %DR and LL equipment like tals mask, stealskull, shaft, gaze, you know... the likes of those. Feel free to socket his items with pt's and mf jewels or even ists if you feel rich. Also a Tomb Reaver if you're rich or a bonehew with amns if you feel not so rich... :)

5. bondfunk

bondfunk IncGamers Member

dual 6 sock cb's. only.always.forever.

6. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

sadly, mf barbs are becoming extinct. from my experience, zons/necros are safer, sorcs are faster.

imho, the absolute best way to build up your mules is to use a necro. mine got around 600% mf, absolutely safe, like -70 resists. but, it's slow as heck.

i have a sorc on countess duty. 0 mf, like 150% fcr.

zon has around 300, a5 su's.

you could make a hell mf barb, but it's a chicken and egg thing: you need good eq to mf, you can't get good eq without mf'ing, etc.

i would suggest a nm mf barb with the suggestions here, then upgrade later.

7. sorcyone

sorcyone Banned

Necro is safer definitely, and can wear more MF.
    I used a necro until I had enough to make a baba.
    I use Viperfork, Tal armour + belt = 127 MF, 32 MF ring, raven, +3 warcries 23mf amulet, stealskull (haven't found Tal Helm yet which would get bonus 65 MF + 24 from ptopaz = 89 which is more than IK helm).
    The TAL armour has low requirements, good defense. The belt has 37% damage to mana which is huge, especially good against non leechables.
    And together you 10 % faster cast which speeds up horking :lol:
    Unfortunately the purple makes my baba look ***.

If you can get a good 2 handed weapon with WW, then you can do runs such as pit twice as fast as a necro.
    Forget about s/s, killing is too slow.

So to answer your question, your basic requirement is a good 2 handed weapon. Good defense is second. You don't need resists for pit runs.

8. Wargasm

Wargasm IncGamers Member

Sad but true... although I built my barb to survive hell, then switched him to an mf setup, so I had it easier. Mind you, I also had friends willing to help me out with some basic mf gear, like chanceguards, 3 ptopaz griswolds plate, an ok tarnhelm, and a bonehew. I went off the merc, at first.

Now I hork eldritch and pindle in under 3 minutes, and I actual allow the merc to kill the uniques involved, so my time is rather slow, relatively speaking. I know sorcs can rock pindle in <1minute.

9. Grandar King of Trolls

Grandar King of Trolls IncGamers Member

In my experience, mf is great, but you can do ok just playing. Make a strong character, focus on survivability and killing power, then level. The good stuff will drop and you won't be stuck doing the same run over and over. Right now per game I do Andy, pit, pindle, Baal, & Diablo. I can do whatever I want, but those tend to be the most rewarding. Believe you me, doing hell Baal and Diablo runs are plenty entertaining with a conc barb. I spend entire levels using zerk and sucking purples thanks to iron maiden. Gotta love a good challenge. And those two runs are great for good drops. Lord De Seis gave me a stormshield after two swings. That was a good feeling. And you end up with a real beast of a character in the long run who is extremely fun to play.

10. Superhal

my LF/MS/GA burizon is pretty quick. i haven't timed her, but i believe she can do eldritch/pindle/shenk in 1-2 minutes. the longest part of her runs, imho, is moving around. the actual killing takes, on average, around 5 javs per.

back in .09, of my three mf chars (sorc, barb, zon,) she was the lowest mf, now she's the highest. :(

11. wind

wind IncGamers Member

You have a point about using another character to all round mf nowadays other than a barb. Even though I havent' invested too much time into my zon, the lightning skills would make those three rather simple to do and quick. A sorc isn't too bad either. Main reason, the two can be done with less than godly gear on their part, a lot less.

I'm not saying mfing with a barb can't be done, it's just easier with another.

I just wonder how many barbs are actually "running" :strong: mephisto nowadays?

12. Wargasm

Wargasm IncGamers Member

:worship:
    You're prolly doing a lot better than me... Heh.

My major problem has been managing Eldritch's position so I can wipe out some minions and still switch over to the babas for the merc's killing shot. Same problem with pindle, except Pindle might _ocassionally_ actually scare me.

Per the Barb vs Meph comment: Anybody doing meph runs is either using a sorc, or likes wandering the Durance for hours on end trying to find the stairs to 3 (well, not hours, but close :lol: ). God know I can't afford an Enigma to teleport around the durance, and with my barb's 200-odd mana (after BO), I can't afford to teleport anyways... :lol:

13. Superhal

the stuff around him is more dangerous than he is. with my necro, i ended up just skipping him and doing shenk/pindle.

pindle is only dangerous when extra fast (thus all his minions are too) and fire enchanted. he killed me about 3/4 of the time when extra fast, until i stuck a minion right in his face to take the initial charges. as long as you aren't standing on top of him, fire enchanted won't kill you.

i think the best way to have your babas out is to actually use them to kill. upped with frenzy might be a choice, or upped s/s with conc.

14. Iggiemartian

Iggiemartian IncGamers Member

-Really, if you want to get yourself some basic stuff you should do NM boss runs.
    I got a lightning trapsin up to level 75 almost completely untwinked and did NM baal/shenk/eldritch/pindle runs for awhile with around 200+ mf and i've found an incredible number of unique exceptionals. My equipment is basically a 3topaz helm, 4 topaz armour, tal's belt and some mf rings/boots. Nothing terribly expensive.

So far i've found things like tgods, homonculus, and a butcher's pupil. Hell runs are probably more rewarding, but they're harder if you don't have a lot to start with NM runs are good.

15. Wargasm

Wargasm IncGamers Member

That's the thing, I only use the babs as a weapon switch, since I have a 2 socket t.reaver as the main weapon... and my barb has over 2k life after bo... it's not alot, but I've only died maybe 10 times in 500+ runs... mind you, the best I;ve found on eldritch has been mav's armour... lol