Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Magic only character.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Indemaijinj, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

Magic only character.

I've been having this idea about doing a character who only uses magic (blue) items for some time. Given the amount of crazy things I have seen accomplished and the sheer power of certain builds I am fairly sure this can be done wihtout too much grief and sorrow.

I do, however, have some questions:

Firstly, what kind of character would be suited best to this kind of ordeal. My first thought would be some kind of melee character in order to use those cool Cruels and such. I am a bit worried about problems with Defense Rating though (Getting high defense with blues only would entail quite some setbacks). I also speculated using a caster such as a sorceress due to less need for certian defensive mods such as leech or Defense Rating.

Secondly, should I allow gems and runes? Blue jewels would of course be allowed while rare jewels and facets should be disallowed.
    I somehow unconsciously assumed that gems would be fine, but they are not technically magic items, but rather non-magical items. Still they are so common I sorta considered them OK. Runes, however always seemed to have an air of "uniqueness" about them for me though this is purely a sentimental thing.
    Perhaps I should rephrase the project to be "blue and (grey/)white only, disallowing runewords. That would allow me to use gems and runes with impunity, though perhaps I should still restrict the use of white items purely to socket-fillers and general supplies (keys,arrows/bolts, potions and such), simply to force the character to use proper weapons early on except of silly "cheesemauls" and other gross twinks.

2. farting bob

farting bob Banned

IMO casters and the lovely fishy would be best, its the same principle as going untwinked - the builds that depend on using items will suffer more. If you want a challenge, go melee, if you want another simple pat, go fishy.

3. Indemaijinj

I flatly refuse to do a Fishymancer since that would just entail getting a pair of good wands a skills circlet and perhaps a skill ammy and a +skelly necro head on summon switch. The rest could just be decked out in resists and Life.

Besides one Fishymancer is enough for a lifetime in my humble opinion.

4. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

I say go werewolf and go cube yourself a nice Giant Thresher or Champion Axe (for their speed/damage), since in wolf form, you need to be chilled with 2 types of cold damage to be truly slowed (your fr/w will slow, but not your attack speed).

Am I correct in saying that or is that only a wolfbarb thing?

crg

5. Indemaijinj

Yeah, of course there's the Cannot Be Frozen problem (i do NOT have access to Cham's, and even if I had they would probably be used in some kind of runeword).

That leaves a lot of the meleers out. A Whirlwind barb only benefits from being chilled, but making a proper whirlwinder with only blues would be HARD and would probably require killer charms to pull off properly.

A sorceress begins to seem really interesting. You can potentially get some killer blue orbs and with a skill/FCR circlet and a Pdiamond'ed Chromatic Grim Shield of Deflection and an armor with FCR or Life stuffed with Prubies. All we need is an FCR belt and some resists from the gloves and boots then. And then a bunch of resist and FCR charms, perhaps even a little Skiller or two and she'll be all set.

6. Crazy Runner Guy

Meh, go for the wolf and make it difficult (assuming the CBF thing is true).

Otherwise, yes, just about every melee'er is out of there, with the exception of a WW barb, who again, needs a killer pole (cuz you're not going to go one-handed) to hit the last WW BP at -60.

However, if you're not interested in going to -60, start cubing a Giant Thresher. They have a -10 WSM, so a single shael puts them at -30, the secon-to-last (before -60) breakpoint.

However, if you're going for damage, and are willing to burn a TON of chippies, you have really one option.

Go with a War Pike. The only bad side of that is you NEED at least a speed modifer to hit -30 (the pike is 20 WSM, so you need 50% IAS to get there). Hoever, if you roll a godly one, you're looking at a Cruel WP of Quickness /w 2 sockets. Slap two shaels in there, and you're at -60, with a max damage (with a perfect roll) of 715.

Here's the bad thing about blues though: With the addition of rares with over 300% ed, rares have a better damage potential. Also, on the WW barb, an up'd ethereal Hone Sundan does more max (but less min and therefore less average) damage than you're CWPoQ can (my 190% eth and up'd one tops at 715, the max for the WP).

Like I said, if you go melee, you're going to have a challenge. If you go caster, you're going to have it much easier, since theoretically, any caster can beat the game naked.

crg

7. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

A lightning zon could also do fairly well. She also depends on her skills to do damage and she has a minion which is a huge plus for "under-powered" builds. Since your resists/defence are probably going to be lowish, unless you have some very good charms, she is quite ideal since she can attack from behind the merc+valk. Using Lightning Fury a lot would probably be a bit annoying if you don't have javelins with replenish/increased stack size, but Charged Strike/Lightning Strike are also very good.

8. Indemaijinj

Replenish and Increase Stack can spawn on blues. They are both suffixes so they won't prevent Cruel from spawning. They will prevent IAS though so you'll probably need some IAS j00ls in her shirt.
    Still, there's the freezing problem.

9. Crazy Runner Guy

If you go with a javazon, go LF/Poison. For weapon, go with a Blue Zon jav /w +3 jav skills, and a +3 jav skillers pair of gloves. Easy +6 skills right there. As for the build:

20 LF
    20 Poison Jav
    20 Plague Jav
    17 Valk (after +skills)
    9 Pierce (this is 69%, up from 65% at clvl 8, after which it drops to 2%/slvl or less)
    D/A/E Add to taste
    1 Decoy and all pre-req's

Similarly, you could go with the magezon route, only getting a fast bow (i.e. matriarchal ) /w +3 bow/xbow skills, and +3 gloves.

On the gloves, the best would (skill mod) gloves of alacrity, for 20% IAS.

crg

10. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

I made a rare only WW barb a while back. He could quite easily solo most of players 8 hell. Kill speed got a little slow by Act 5 but not too bad.

The main problems I encountered were:

Lack of PDR: You can get a little from the straight damage reduced by X mods but it's hard to find an item with large damage reduced by X and other good mods. Sols would be the way to go if you were to use runes.

Lack of CBF: This is for the obvious reaon. Not too bad with a WWer though since being slowed is rather useful at times.

Lack of CB/DS/OW: Not to bad just slows down your kill speed a lot.

Lack of twinking gear: :D Didn't have much low level rare stuff, so starting out was quite slow.

So it's definitely doable with all rares, all magics would be very interesting. You have to go with a melee character of some type. A caster would take pretty much all the challenge out of it IMHO.

A kicker could also be an option. Big damage and all you need is some blue Myrmidon Greaves.

11. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Something like this eh? :D

Cruel War Pike of Quickness
    Two-Hand Damage: 128 to 692
    Durability: 25 of 25
    Required Dexterity: 106
    Required Strength: 165
    Required Level: 66
    Spear Class - Fast Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 98
    Fingerprint: 0xfdea9f0a
    +289% Enhanced Damage
    40% Increased Attack Speed

Wish I had this in .09, now it's useless in .10. :mad:

12. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

It's still really cool though. :lol:

13. Crazy Runner Guy

Did you buy that from Larzuk or gamble it?

crg