Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

"Magic Maiden" curse from Baal and Succubus?! Won't bother you anymore...

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by melianor, Apr 8, 2004.

1. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

"Magic Maiden" curse from Baal and Succubus?! Won't bother you anymore...

Everybody knows this damned curse that makes you loose life when you cast spells. Succubus and Baal cast this spell, making it annoying to cast spells since you will have to watch your life a bit.

I noticed that with my Meteorb build i never got cursed with Magic Maiden and have been wondering why. Well i just found out why, while i was browsing Arreat Summit and stumbled into the Sorceress strategy section :D

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/classes/sorceressstrat.shtml

My Meteorb build has ALWAYS more Life than Mana, so with this setup a Sorceress can never be cursed by Magic Maiden....

Nice to know :thumbsup:

2. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

This is nothing new, but good info for those who don't know I guess.

In related news, the world is round. hehehe.

3. melianor

Thought this would be known already, but just like me people tend to forget things after a while ;)

4. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

Well, there are builds that cannot use this fact *cough ES sorc*.
    There is a catch that others might not have noticed though; when you're under MM and cast a spell the mana cost it taken from life instead of mana...thus you lose no mana at all for casting the spell. Which means that say you get mana rifted and have no mana, you can still cast spells. Something I've found usefull in a few situation.

5. melianor

Yes Zarhrezz. Hmm, might be some useful situations if you should get drained of Mana and can still teleport away when cursed with MM :)
    Manabuilds can ofcourse not really benefit from this, most of the common builds here and those that go vitality instead of max-block can benefit from this too.
    One thing less thing to think about when teleporting around areas filled with Succubus or facing Baal.

6. cthrag

cthrag IncGamers Member

Another option is to use a shrine:

Unlike "Cursed" bosses and oblivion knights, succubuses don't seem to be able to override other "overhead" effects with their Blood Mana curse.

So use a resistance, stamina, mana regen, combat, armour or experience shrine and you'll be safe from them for the next couple of minutes.

7. Jell-O

Jell-O IncGamers Member

They always override my shrines with that damn curse, but they almost never cast that -def curse when I have a shrine active.

8. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Even since I started playing the expansion (with its casting delays for sorceresses), all my characters have WAY more life than mana, so I had almost forgotten that Blood Mana existed...

9. Tanatus

Tanatus IncGamers Member

My MF sorc heave relay on ES (I have ~2000 mana and 600 or so life) - I checked spells that cost me most life to cast and least and as a such normally I use for attack vs. Maindens, Baals spell that not cause me lose to much life. Cheapest attack then almost dont deplete your life on cast is Static, second best for me is Meteor and I would guess that Blizzard wont cause much life loss either. Fastest depleting my life fireball (one volley of fire will nearbly kill me), following by orb

10. [FLS]prozerran

[FLS]prozerran IncGamers Member

one trick is to let your merc close in before you. They will cast the -def curse on him and won't curse again.

11. Zarhrezz

In melee range, they will indeed cast the -defense curse. Teleporting right into the middle of a group also works. You just have to be able to tank it.

12. melianor

This thread turned out more useful than i would have thought :)
    Nice input on additional tactics against MM Spell. :thumbsup:

13. Stephenjha

Stephenjha IncGamers Member

One other interesting note is that even if you life is greater than mana you can still have the spell cast upon your sorcer. If a character close to you is hit with the spell you will receive the splash effect and be cursed as well. Very annoying for me to build all my MF sosas with more life than mana and make the trip down to go after baal and get hit with the curse.

14. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

the world is not round, it's oval. in other news, it's too bad necromancers don't have similiar curses.

15. Zarhrezz

Necro's have Dim Vision, the skill that turns 99% of all the monsters in the game into helpless stumbling piles of exp. What more can they ask for?
    Except for maybe a tan.