Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Magic Finding in Cow Level?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Kelicc, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Kelicc

Kelicc IncGamers Member

Magic Finding in Cow Level?

I know that since 1.10 came out, cow runs have become much less popular. Understandably so since the experience is not what it used to be. My question is, do people still do the cow level for magic finding? I would assume the answer is no since you can do Baal runs and get experience AND do magic finding.

The reason I ask is because I tend to try to do a variety of areas instead of doing certain areas over and over and over. Last night, I opened the Hell cow level for the very first time since 1.10 came out. My FA/IA amazon has around 140 mf or so now. I go more for survivability than mf, normally. Anyway, I thought the cow level may be a good place to hunt for some runes. I completed the entire level (except for the king) and I found the set Spired Helm as well as a unique Monarch :) Also saw white Lacquered Plate and Shako.

I thought, for only having 140 mf, to find a Stormshield and Ondal's Wisdom wasn't too bad :) So, do cows still drop well or did I just get real lucky on my first 1.10 cow run?

2. senji

senji Banned

not many mf cows now because of the increase difficulty and less experience gain from them they are more dangerous and got alot more hp

3. WingBlade

WingBlade IncGamers Member

Nice finds ne way... I don't recall the TC of Hell cows but I think its around 80+

4. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

It is just a quick death potential that i find little need in doing. Cows dont drop a lot of items in a 1 plaayer run but still hit like a truck! I suppose a Java with some PDR would have little worrys but I would consider myself lucky to do 50 solo cow runs with a Bowa and live or at least not have a couple "perfect juvs" to save your life.

One pen opening next to a Fanta King is all it takes!

5. Kelicc

Kelicc IncGamers Member

I use a Holy Freeze merc. Between him and the Freezing Arrows, the cows really never got close to me since I walked very cautiously. I do hear what you're saying about the possibility of the portal opening in the pen next to a nasty mod King. I go in with my fingers ready to pounce on the potion buttons :)

I don't really intend to run the cows all that often, I just did them this time for a change of pace since I hadn't done the cow level in quite some time. I was just amazed at what I found. :)

6. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Well....Hf makes it better and he should be active after getting the leg.

I have ran Hell cows in classic, it was ok, but you just dont get drops in classic like you do in xpac.

7. baalos

baalos IncGamers Member

I know this isnt what you had in mind but I love to kill the nornal cow king. I use an opener and then bring in my mfer sorc. I find that one pair of ck boots will drop about every 20 runs, and ck boots trade well.

8. baalos

baalos IncGamers Member

I know this isnt what you had in mind but I love to kill the nornal cow king. I use an opener and then bring in my mfer sorc. I find that one pair of ck boots will drop about every 20 runs, and ck boots trade well.

9. jsiv

jsiv IncGamers Member

Hehe, exactly what I and a mate used to do in 1.09. You get so much cool lowlevel pk/dueling gear from there. Plus when you go for the leg you might as well kill Rakanishu instead of just tele'ing past him (doh). He's dropped A LOT of death's gloves/sashes, gulls, peltas etc. for me over time.

Sadly, I no longer have two comps and as for running two copies on my comp....how's the weather?

@the original poster: I've considered trying to farm the cowlevel myself. Yeah, the XP sucks compared to 1.09, but they're still a whole bunch of them. A ton of monsters => a ton of drops => bigger chance of getting 1337 uniques. I'd still say you've had a pretty damn lucky first run though :)

Also, Stinger, I don't think they seem that much harder compared to 1.09. And every char carries (or at least SHOULD carry) a line of juvs in their belt.

About the Treasure Class of cows:

In 1.09 cows could drop up to TC87 and were lvl 90. This meant that the TC90 elites could not drop from the cows, but every unique up to and including TC87 could drop (except Cranium Basher as it was Qlvl 91). In 1.10 the TC90 items were moved a notch down to TC87 and TC90 was removed. Cows still drop up to TC87, but their mlvl has been changed to 81. This means that they can drop every BASE item in the game, but they cannot drop the top uniques/sets. To be more precise, the ones that have a qlvl higher than 81.

So yeah, cows will now drop giant threshers, as opposed to before, but, however, they will still not drop a Stormspire for you.

Main reason I ran cows for mf'ing though, was that I got tons of xp at the same time. The good good items were really rare actually, so now, without the huge xp, I'll probably just stick to places were I have a better chance to find stuff.

10. ConnerMacleod

ConnerMacleod IncGamers Member

I highly recommend Hell Cows for MFing.

Do it in a full game tho, with lots of people. Cows will be tougher, so make sure you can waste em in 1-2 shots. Don't get hit. They will drop more items with more people in game and when you are PARTIED.

ALSO, while you are running, make certain people know you are in there. Best to do in an Act 1 Andy game with lots of people who just got to Hell. Encourage them to help so you can find lots of gold too. Preferably from the other players.

11. Squatdog

Squatdog IncGamers Member

One of the guys I play with MF runs Hell Cows with his Javazon regularly. It's pretty easy but you don't get the consistent drops like doing bosses.

12. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

:lol:

Sad how the only deaths I see these days are to Hell Bovines... and Diablo.

13. DFA-FrstbyteOO

DFA-FrstbyteOO IncGamers Member

Very Sweet finds there bud! guess your luck might be a-changin whilst mine stays the same :p

14. Kelicc

Kelicc IncGamers Member

Hehe, thanks :) Yeah, my luck took an upturn for that game :) Hopefully the trend continues!

15. jsteel

jsteel IncGamers Member

John,

Cheng used to run cows for charms and jewels. Won't be a "gold mine" but it isn't a bad change of pace. Currently running E, S, P, Pit and Cows. Mostly collecting gold (and elites to sell for gold) to gamble, oh, and gems for cubing.

Later,

jsteel

16. Kelicc

Kelicc IncGamers Member

Yeah, I knew it was a good place to find charms and jewels to cube. Lately I've been running E, S, P, Pit, Mausoleum, and Countess. Maybe I'll mix a cow run in here and there. Haven't done another one since I found those nice things :)